I need a hosting package, not sure what to get!

Well as you can see, I'm new here. First of all let me tell you what I need included:

PHP5 (5 is preffered over 4, but 4 will do also)
    PHP GD (This is needed, no way around this)
    Linux/Apache

For payment I'm looking from $5 to $15 a month. I want my pages to load within 2 seconds. Currently my page loads within half a second to one second, but the server is having problems, so I need to switch (almost dedicated, it is my server). runeap dot com (I can't link if I have less than 5 posts?)

My typical usage
    I host a software program which is around 1.1MB and may grow as I update it. I plan on making my site grow, and currently I get around 200 downloads a day. That is 220 or so mB bandwidth for 1 day, and 6.6gB a month. This will probably grow drastically as I start updating the website and making certain features (hopefully). Therefore I want about 30gB bandwidth at the least per month.

Disk space needed is extremly small. Should not exceed more than 500mB, but I can probably re-size my website and take away unessesary parts etc and make it less than 30mB.

I was going to go to goDaddy, but many people have bad experiences with them. I like how they have custom php.ini and high bandwidth.

I was also looking at the PHP 5 package at 2mhost.com

Can you reccommend me a good package? Thanks (thumbs up, I can't use vbCode : ( )

Hi

Your budget seems very fair for your usage/requirements. I'm sure there are many php4+5 compatible hosts around your price range and should do exactly what you need.

Dig around WHT and do some research and make sure you use the "Search" function.

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Hello solinent,

Your requirements are very reasonable, and you should have absolutely no trouble finding a reliable host that meets your requirements. I would highly recommend searching on www.findmyhosting.com or www.hostsearch.com

Make a list of web hosting companies that meet your requirements and simply do a search on them for reviews here on WHT. It would be a good idea to contact the web host and test their response timings also.

Do you have any control panel preferences?

I was going to go to goDaddy, but many people have bad experiences with them. I like how they have custom php.ini and high bandwidth.

I was also looking at the PHP 5 package at 2mhost.com
    Avoid hosts like GoDaddy with negative feedbacks and overselling offers. Have you done a search on 2mhost for reviews?

Best of luck!

I would personally recommend Precision Effect for all your web hosting needs!

I have been with Precision Effect for many months now and have not looked back since. Combined with their excellent service and price, their customer support is top-notch to date and I have no complaints. They also offer both PHP4 and PHP5, which seems to be something of interest to you.

When needed, they are available within a reasonable time, having that said, I have only required assistance throughout the day, if at all. They have great, available tutorials to help those in need to use their Plesk control panel.

This is a web host I am pleasantly pleased with and with their excellent pricing for each plan, I believe I have the perfect host here and believe they will only help better yourself as well.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Thanks for your replies!

Ok well I'll make some searches. I'm not sure about premium web hosting and if they allow php extensions (php_gd2.dll).

Anyways I have never used cPanel. I have no knowledge of it. Normally I just use a local host on my PC and then transfer the files over when it works via FTP.

What does cPanel offer over FTP?

I just edited and I couldn't post because I had a smilley and I lost everything. Basically I think webhostingbuzz(dot)com(slash)hosting(slash)shared.html is a good webhost and I want to know if its a good choice.

Also, since I'm new to moving to a new webhost, how do I move the database over to their servers?
    Last edited by solinent; 11-12-2006 at 07:36 PM.

I've had good experiences with ahosting.biz back in the days. I'm sure they're more well known now and their current customers here (if any) can give you some feedback.

cPanel is just a panel where you can access via your browser and manage your website (emails, sql databases, ftp accounts and more). FTP is just a file transfer protocol used to connect two computers over the Internet so that the user of one computer can transfer files and perform file commands on the other computer.

If you have time, I can show you a demo and a run down of how cPanel works as well as what you can do with it.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    I've had good experiences with ahosting.biz back in the days. I'm sure they're more well known now and their current customers here (if any) can give you some feedback.

cPanel is just a panel where you can access via your browser and manage your website (emails, sql databases, ftp accounts and more). FTP is just a file transfer protocol used to connect two computers over the Internet so that the user of one computer can transfer files and perform file commands on the other computer.

If you have time, I can show you a demo and a run down of how cPanel works as well as what you can do with it.
    Yeah I know what FTP is (I've set up apache and IIS multiple times, and I'm pretty knowledgable in setting up a server). Ok cPanel isn't really that interesting to me, but almost every host that I've looked at has it, so I guess it's more of a non-issue.

If you are looking for speed. then I suggest you look at hostingspeeds.com
    they rank hosts based on pageloads. '_
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Hi solinent --- Well, I know one host I'm using - HostGator - is introducing php5 on their servers.
    Not sure what "phpGD" is, I'm afraid. You say "php extensions" - sure you can run files named "something.php", if that's what you mean.
    Most hosts use cPanel as said, just an interface for you to administer your account and access statistics etc.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic