Hybrid View

Do I Need Enom Reseller Account?

Hi,

I have some customers who register their domain through me. What I do now is I go to NameCheap and register it for them. They got their domain & also a free Who is protection.

But of course when they need to change anything, they have to tell me and I will do it for them.

The question is, do I need Enom reseller account? I can try to pretend not to look at the cheaper price at NameCheap (just a few cents) but the free who is protection really tempted me to stay and make me think it's not worth it to move.

What do you think about it?

p/s: and of course, by becoming a reselelr I will look more professional...
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Yes, you should try getting even a $8.95 account with enom.
    The main benefit is that you can integrate it into your billing system.
    Allowing your clients to login and update their namservers is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by messa
    Allowing your clients to login and update their namservers is another story.
    Actually, it's the main part of the story. If the OP resells domain names, his/her customers MUST have a way to manage domains by themselves. It means a reseller account is a *must*.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Stan, it doesn't sound like that's the case at all.
    "I have some customers who register their domain through me."

messa, I don't know exactly whether I resell or register their domain through me...

but the thing is, I don't take any profits in registering it for them.

I just did it for my hosting customer and even offering them cheaper prices.

But they did love the free whois protection (who don't like it, cheaper than what NameCheap themselves offer)

Well the whois thing looks to be temporary with namecheap so if that's the best part of it it will be over soon.

Most hosts don't try to make money on domains and don't really market domains on their site.
    If you can make this part of the business easy that's usually as good as it gets.
    A reseller account will make it easy to integrate with your billing but it's not really easy to allow your customers control over their domains.

You'll look more professional to your customers if you have a reseller account, but if they are happy with the way it is now, why change? Namecheap are a good reseller with a good control pael. The free whois is only for the first year, however.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    You'll look more professional to your customers if you have a reseller account, but if they are happy with the way it is now, why change?
    Stu, I thought better of you... Haven't you heard enough of horror stories when somebody registers domains for somebody, then dissappears.

Bottom line is: if you are registering domains for others you must have reseller account.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Ok thanks, the last statement, that's clear everything for me...

Yep. I know. A reseller account would be best so that each customer has their own control panel to control their domains directly. But it sounded like these were unsavvy customers who were happy to delegate this work (with the known consequences if OP disappears).
    Signature Under Construction.

A reseller account would be much better. As many stated NameCheap's WhoIs protection is a offer for the first year only. Things get much easier for you if you have a reseller account, especially if your business grows.
    You can find eNom 8.95 very easy since they give such accounts for free. Not to mention the API for integrating with your billing system, RegistryRocket tool and PDQ. More doors open to your business with a domain name reseller account.

Just my 2 cents

Hi
    At, enom.com reseller account you can
    assign a password to each domain name using http://access.enom.com/ so your customer can manage just that domain, dns, whois info etc.
    bob