Smile 4,395,139 sites hosted on the server??

While I understand that who is may not be a right way to check the number of sites hosted I think this number is bit tooo high even if park and hosted sites counted together

Help me understand. I have recently signed up with one of the most reputed host here so I do not want to name it.

Probably a cluster. That means that they have their servers interconnected, in case one goes down the other servers will pick up the load and your website will be up even if the actual server you were on was down (that actually means your data was on tens/thousands/hundreds of servers instead of one.

I agreed with Lev, although i recommend checking this out with the host.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Even clustered - 4M is a big number...
    If you contact them, please let us know the answer they give you.
    -Mr Bister

Answer from host

No server has anywhere near that number of sites on it. All servers are capped at around 300 sites. All I can suggest is that possibly the site is defective in some way. I'm not sure how though.
    Site just has opening soon html page

Saw the reply on their forums

I think there are 23 servers. 4,395,139 / 23 = 191,093.

However - I can guarantee that that there is nowhere near 100,000+ sites on one server - I would think we'd have to have some pretty amazing technology to be able to pull that off, and in such a case you all would likely know about it.
    So it seems that they do have a cluster, and perhaps whois is miscalculating the number?

I often see these high numbers when looking at whois and they are mostly all parked domains. If you look at http://whois.domaintools.com/bysajo.com, you will see the pic denoting it is parked.

If you can see http://www.domaintools.com/reverse-i...ame=bysajo.com, and click on random links, you will see they are parked.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

yeah I think anon-e-mouse hit the nail on the head.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

they may be parked. my concern is if I am paying around $10 for 100MB/5GB should I be hosted on such server? (I am assuming number is correct)

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Saw the reply on their forums

So it seems that they do have a cluster, and perhaps whois is miscalculating the number?

I must be blind, I didn't see a link to the site other than that bysajo.com page.

Where is the forum you're referring to?

I do not wish to disclose/blame host unless problem is confirmed. Lev is probable a mamber of the host forum and so he could see the thread I started there

Is it worth paying $10 for 100MB it there are sooooo many parked domains on the same server?

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    I must be blind, I didn't see a link to the site other than that bysajo.com page.

Where is the forum you're referring to?

oh ! whois is still showing information about parked page at Godaddy and thats why this number

Quote Originally Posted by pingme97
    I do not wish to disclose/blame host unless problem is confirmed. Lev is probable a mamber of the host forum and so he could see the thread I started there

Is it worth paying $10 for 100MB it there are sooooo many parked domains on the same server?
    A parked domain is really extremely minimal. it completely depends on how many other busy sites there are on the box. though millions of parked domains will add load, it wouldn't be very substantial i'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by pingme97
    they may be parked. my concern is if I am paying around $10 for 100MB/5GB should I be hosted on such server? (I am assuming number is correct)
    The answer should be in yourself. DOes you notice any drop in performances with your website?

We move from a crowded server for a better performances, but if a crowded server gives us a super terrific performances, just think about it one hundred more times before moving k...
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

I want to put up a question here...
    Ideally how many sites should a shared webhosting's single server should have to give optimum performance to all hosted sites?

It is also very possible that because if you notice, all these sites have the same DNS off the whois list, that they do have DNS clusters routing the information between their servers. There might be only 300 sites per server, but DNS servers routing the data to those servers.

I'm not 100% if i phrased that correctly, I just woke up so it might not be perfect... i think you get the point, though.

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Quote Originally Posted by navjotjsingh
    I want to put up a question here...
    Ideally how many sites should a shared webhosting's single server should have to give optimum performance to all hosted sites?

How's long a piece of string?

Dependancies:
    * Power of server (processor, RAM, RAID, SCSI/IDE/SATA, HDD space)
    * Location (In your house, Dedicated Hosting Environment, Office)
    * Types of services provided on the server (HTTP/SMTP only, MySQL, etc...)
    * Types of sites (All HTML, Some Forums/Shpping Carts, Extremely busy sites like ebay.co.uk)

There is no answer! It's down to you to monitor all the variables on your server(s) and decide when you cannot add any more without affecting other sites enough to cause them issues.
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Agreed Matt

It will have an impact, a very minor one, if the sites aren't on the box but their DNS records for www say they are.

Also, something else to take into consideration is that in no way is domaintools reliable in the way it reverse DNS's domains to find sites on a box. I don't know how they actually find these records but they're not reliable.

Reason being is our main server has 106 sites on it atm but domaintools states it's 69. And no there aren't 40 sites with DNS records pointing elsewhere. It's wrong pure and simple. In our favour this time but ..... pinch of salt.
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Giles
    How's long a piece of string?

Dependancies:
    * Power of server (processor, RAM, RAID, SCSI/IDE/SATA, HDD space)
    * Location (In your house, Dedicated Hosting Environment, Office)
    * Types of services provided on the server (HTTP/SMTP only, MySQL, etc...)
    * Types of sites (All HTML, Some Forums/Shpping Carts, Extremely busy sites like ebay.co.uk)

There is no answer! It's down to you to monitor all the variables on your server(s) and decide when you cannot add any more without affecting other sites enough to cause them issues.
    You nailed it, even comparing similar servers, one may be able to hold 1000 sites while the other will be struggling with 200 sites -- it all depends on the type of sites.