* Anyone got a solid mysql database backup script??

Hello,
    Does anyone have a nice sql database backup script which can backup all the sql database on the server to another location via ftp, and run daily and do backups on daily basis ?

If so please forward me to the right url/site etc.

Thanks

Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Ahh thanks but its for a select day only say sunday or monday and so on "Select full backup day"

With cPanel, you can set up a cron job for weekly backup operations if you'd like (either basic or advanced feature).

Aah no i know about cpanel and whm feature about backups but i want DAILY mysql backup of all DB's on FTP remote location.

Cheers

If you have access to a konsole, you can easily manipulate the server for setting up your own cron job with a linux command.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/

I've used this in the past, it's a decent script. It will slow down your server considerably when it runs, however, so be sure you set your cron for a time when your server is least busy.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

Hm rob why will it slow down server, would be backup up just database or the whole directory?

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Aah no i know about cpanel and whm feature about backups but i want DAILY mysql backup of all DB's on FTP remote location.

Cheers
    This is possible by CronJob in Cpanel. You can set it up to dump the database at a certain time on each day and then for it to put it in a certain FTP location. I know this because I do it myself.

A simple solution would just be to make a tar.gz of /var/lib/mysql and scp it over on a nightly basis ... a simple bash script would do it
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

what's wrong with phpMyAdmin? You can dump a script quite easily with that, and make back ups. CPanel has a nice feature for backing up files/databases as well.

Quote Originally Posted by acidhoss
    what's wrong with phpMyAdmin? You can dump a script quite easily with that, and make back ups. CPanel has a nice feature for backing up files/databases as well.
    phpMyAdmin wouldn't be up to the job imo, you would find that it would probably timeout if you had a large database. The best ways to do it and most efficient on the server (imo) is via Cron or as layer suggested.

This one works like a dream, I run it as a daily cronjob
    http://www.restkultur.ch/personal/wo...pts/db_backup/

Even has FTP upload so you can offload your archives to another server; mediamax.com offers free online storage with FTP access, which I'd highly recommend. No good backing anything up to your live server as the day it gets rooted you can kiss it all goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    No good backing anything up to your live server as the day it gets rooted you can kiss it all goodbye.
    Good point, but here's the problem: if you use a script like this containing the ftp username and password of your remote backup, how safe is the backup when your live server gets rooted?

For my money the only safe option is to have the remote system log into your live server and retrieve the data. So, after using one of the methods above to create a dump file on the live server you'd use ftp, rsync or even wget (with apache authentication) to pull that over to the backup.

Another approach would be to allow direct access to mysql from the remote system. Then you could use mysqldump on the remote system and perhaps even use the mysql root password from there if you're confident it's secure enough.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Paidhosting,

1) Whats wrong with the tools provided by mysql itself ? Why dont you use them to backup databases ?
    mysqldump, mysqlhotcopy etc.

2) Which MySQL version 3.x, 4.x , 5.x or even 5.1.x ?
    3) Which database types (storage engine) are we actually talking about here ?

- Archive
    - Berkeley DB
    - Blackhole
    - Cluster (NDB)
    - CSV
    - Falcon
    - Isam
    - MyISAM
    - Merge
    - InnoDB

Best regards
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-16-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback