Huge increase in fraudulent orders?

Have any other hosting service providers started receiving an inordinate number of fraudulent orders involving stolen credit cards? We manually screen every order looking at several aspects to find out fraud and I would say that as much as 75% of orders lately have been bad.

Best regards,
    Frank Rietta
    AtlantaWebHost.com, a service of Rietta Solutions
    Web Site & Development Hosting, Dedicated, Colocation, DNS, Atlanta-area T1 for Voice & Data

Big-Time, i've had 2 in the last week!

we are averaging about 20-30 a week, makes our life harder

with 45 signups last week, 20-30 fake ones is a big percentage

Yes we've been having increased fraudulent orders as well.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Im starting to phone all new customers now as a method of combating the fraud orders.

Same here. We now have a policy of confirming every order by phone that looks even slightly odd.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Just went to that link and noticed that Austria is on the list. I didn't know they had a problem with credit card fraud in Austria?
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

So what's going on here? are the wee sacks going around like snatching cards off the street or are they using there computers?.
    If i had a company and they lived fairly near then i would go round there and knock seven shades of ***** out of them, the nids.
    Forget the police couse all there going to do is take there computer away.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Originally posted by avara
    Just went to that link and noticed that Austria is on the list. I didn't know they had a problem with credit card fraud in Austria?
    Most of ours come out of southeast asia, and always have.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

What happens most often is someone's site gets hacked and credit card information is compromised. This is quickly distributed on the IRC channels that these "punks" frequent. The credit card list may or may be sold or given away depending on the originator and whether the exposure has been uncovered or not.

The cards are then used to purchase whatever, wherever. Eventually all the cards are cancelled by their owners when they find the bogus charges. We are stuck with the chargebacks.

Pain in the neck. A great reason not to keep credit card information on your server without encrypting it.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

See how peaple pay for there hosting monthly and they get an email telling them the bills due and so on then they have to go and pay it once a week well wouldn't it be better if the host just like charged it once a month instead of you having to fill out the forum thing with all your credit card details once a month couse like is that not like more of a risk as well as a pain in the backside.

This is script is useless and stupid.

Considering that the best/most hackers are from US .. why don't you check "United States" too?

There are thousands of proxies to use. Every hacker wannabe knows how to do that.

The only thing you will do is to loose some visitors.

Don't forget the ones from down the road at hunterhill in paisley.

Singapore has credit card issues? Since I'm from there, its strange to find that true, cause we don't really do much e-commerce, from a survey done by a local company.

Why don't most american hosts who have a high percentage of american clients simply accept bank cheques and say NO to credit cards?

Couldn't american hosts get their american clients to simply write monthly bank checks in advance. the host then credits these checks on a monthly basis into their american bank account. this way you avoid chargebacks from all your american clients.

Wouldn't some american clients who are very satisfied with their american hosts also prefer to send multiple monthly checks in advance to avoid the hassle of sending a check every month?

If fraudulent credit cards are such a big issue, wouldn't this be a good idea?

Personally, I think that if a client can pay by bank check I'd prefer that he does so rather than have him make payment by credit card. Of course if he wishes to stop availing my services at any time, and if I am holding some monthly checks sent to me much in advance, I will send them back to him. There could be even a written understanding on this issue, couldn't there be?
    Chang Lee - Professional Designer
    (for Print, Television & Internet media)

Hello
    We had 2 from the US this week.

I think whats happening is that with so many hosts clamping down on fraud, any with the doors still open are getting hit more often.

We got one at our least active brand (it gets about one order a week) so that suggets they are going further through hosting directories and search engines looking for places to use their cards.

A lot of the proxies getting used are open proxies belonging to US companies.
    I report them to the companies involved but never get a reply.

I haven't had a chargeback for a month and the last one was just someone fancying some free hosting so disputed the charge.
    I don;t get too many of those now we insist on a signed fax back.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com