I just inherited a server. A little help?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, 'cause I need a tad, I mean a load of help with my server.

Essentially, I want host a website and/with a forum on this server. I'm going to sound completly clueless, but I am. How would one go about this?

It's running Windows Server.

Thanks.

More info needed.

What kind of site?
    What software?
    Resource intensive?

Base OS or is there a control panel?
    Last edited by Dougy; 11-11-2006 at 10:15 PM.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Sounds like you'll need to a managed server solution.
    www.serverwizards.com is one company I'd reccomend, as well as http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/

Although it's kind of strange to "just inherit a server", is it even on a dedicated internet connection?
    Last edited by PersonalJ; 11-11-2006 at 10:12 PM.

I dont get it " I just inherited a server " What you mean some hacker threw you a hacked server with root password ?? Please explain a bit more as to what exactly you have got, hardware info would be great too , so as to tell if it will work for your forums or not.

Cheers

I don't remember the port off the top of my head but windows comes with a very competent and usefull control panel as is. You just need to enable it. I'll do some looking. it's been a long time since I used it but it will setup and configure websites for you.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Here it is:

Using Web Interface for Remote AdministrationYou can use Web Interface for Remote Administration to manage your application server by using a Web browser on a remote computer.

To install Web Interface for Remote Administration of an application server
    Open the Windows Components Wizard.
    In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Application Server check box, and then click Details.
    Select the Internet Information Services (IIS) check box, click Details, select the World Wide Web Service check box, click Details, and then select the Remote Administration (HTML) check box.
    Notes

To open the Windows Components Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Web Interface for Remote Administration of an application server is installed by default on Windows Server 2003, Web Edition only. It is not installed by default on other Windows Server 2003 operating systems.
    Internet Explorer version 6.0 or later is recommended for Remote Administration.
    Installation of Remote Administration is not supported on a domain controller.
    To open Web Interface for Remote Administration
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type:
    https://ComputerName:8098

Where ComputerName is the name of the computer on which you want to run Remote Administration.

Note

To open Web Interface for Remote Administration Help, open Web Interface for Remote Administration, and then click the Help tab.
    This is assuming you don't already have a control panel like h-sphere or Plesk on it.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Or just rdp to the server and setup the website via iis. It is very simple once you know where to look.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    I dont get it " I just inherited a server " What you mean some hacker threw you a hacked server with root password ?? Please explain a bit more as to what exactly you have got, hardware info would be great too , so as to tell if it will work for your forums or not.

Cheers
    Nope, I mean I literally just inherited a server. My Dad's company closed, so he gave me the server from it. It's sitting in my garage. It's a Dell PowerEdge 2400.

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully this won't be too hard to set up. If you have any questions, comments, etc., please feel free to post them.

articquad,

Sell it!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.