whmcs billing system questions

I tried to post this on the whmcs system on their forums and then on their trouble ticket system, but neither was working -- not a good sign actually. Let's try here.

So I want to clarify a few items. Tell me correct or not, or explain.
    1. I gather licensing is per domain, not per company or per server. Does this mean if I move my billing site from one server to another, the move is seamless, and the license does not need to be touched?
    2. However, I understand that if I operate as several companies with different products for each, I can have a different order page for each company. Do I do this on each company's web site, or is this controlled on the main billing site's order page by sending an appropriate url to select the category of products?
    3. Do people here think it better to deal with WHMCS directly, or through a reseller (cheaper, but???)
    4. Can I enter in the old data from a manual system complete with invoice dates?
    5. Can I have my existing enom customers use the system for domain renewals, or do I have to enter all their data manually into whmcs first?
    6. For the customers who manage portfolios of domains and therefore have an actual enom account, can they sign on to the enom account through the system?
    7. Is there anyone here who has used the AccountLabPlus system from Netenberg and could comment on the relative merits of the two? (I have ALP installed on my server, and the license is server wide, so many instances can be created, but it does have drawbacks I know of.)
    8. Same question for Modernbill, which I have not tried. It has a reputation of being the most complete such billing system, yet it seems pricey. Are there major components unique to one or the other that would sway my decision?
    9. Does whmcs have a forum/blog or other discussion tool?

Thanks
    Rick
    Rick Sutcliffe
    See http://www.arjayweb.com for fast, reliable Linux/CPanel hosting
    We also do reseller hosting and are an Enom ETP

1. Yes, you simply click reissue license and it binds to the new server ip.

2. No. You can only have one order url. E.g. domain.com/order.php and then each product gets an extension. E.g. domain.com/order.php?step=2&pid=3

3. Resellers are cheaper. Check that you get a WHMCS.com login and support when you sign up with a reseller, so you can get support from both WHMCS and the reseller.

4. Yes.

5. You'd have to attach the domain information to the client.

6. I'll have to check that one.

9. http://www.whmcs.com/forums/
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik

2. No. You can only have one order url. E.g. domain.com/order.php and then each product gets an extension. E.g. domain.com/order.php?step=2&pid=3

9. http://www.whmcs.com/forums/
    Re #2 OK, so how exactly do people handle things when there are several company entities involved? I don't want my eBook items cluttering up the page for hosting orders.
    Re #9 What I meant was, is there a forum/blog tool within the whmcs product. [As indicated above, I've been at the whmcs site and their forum is broken. So is their trouble ticket system. Can't post to either.]
    Rick Sutcliffe
    See http://www.arjayweb.com for fast, reliable Linux/CPanel hosting
    We also do reseller hosting and are an Enom ETP

The forum works fine at the moment. I haven't seen any issues with it.

WHMCS comes with an announcements system where you can post news.

You can only really control one company per WHMCS installation.
    Sean

hey , what is the cheapest whmcs reseller?

1. I gather licensing is per domain, not per company or per server. Does this mean if I move my billing site from one server to another, the move is seamless, and the license does not need to be touched?

The licence is issued and as said can be re-issued when moving server, therefore if you want to move it could be carried out easily.

2. However, I understand that if I operate as several companies with different products for each, I can have a different order page for each company. Do I do this on each company's web site, or is this controlled on the main billing site's order page by sending an appropriate url to select the category of products?

For different websites you require a licence for each site you have.

3. Do people here think it better to deal with WHMCS directly, or through a reseller (cheaper, but???)

We purchased direct, rather than through a reseller, although you will get the same service regardless. Though you are more likely to get it cheaper through a reseller than them.

4. Can I enter in the old data from a manual system complete with invoice dates?

Whmcs has an option to import data from whm, if thats what you are using it for, although they do support import of certain scripts at the moment, you can add information manually.

5. Can I have my existing enom customers use the system for domain renewals, or do I have to enter all their data manually into whmcs first?

Unless you import the information from your previous system you will have to enter it manually. Else ask you clients to use their system with your branding.

6. For the customers who manage portfolios of domains and therefore have an actual enom account, can they sign on to the enom account through the system?

This currently isn't possible with any domain name account at the moment as far as we are aware.

7. Is there anyone here who has used the AccountLabPlus system from Netenberg and could comment on the relative merits of the two? (I have ALP installed on my server, and the license is server wide, so many instances can be created, but it does have drawbacks I know of.)

Haven't previously used it, found whoiscart to be very hard to manage and therefore, after comparing whmcs to clientexc, purchased a complete licence of whmcs.

8. Same question for Modernbill, which I have not tried. It has a reputation of being the most complete such billing system, yet it seems pricey. Are there major components unique to one or the other that would sway my decision?

If you have a look at the whmcs web site they have a page to compare all the products for this market.

9. Does whmcs have a forum/blog or other discussion tool?

Whmcs doesn't have one although you can easily install a script such as phpbb to do this.
    redihot.com | low cost quality hosting
    Looking for a web hosting solution? Gain complete satisfaction today.
    With our 99.95% Uptime Guarantee, 24/7 Monitoring, Friendly Support, Cpanel/Fantastico, Domains and much more, why wait?