Thread: Need a New Host

Need a New Host

Hello all . Maybe some of you all can help me . I need a host that offers mod rewrite , safemode off , atleast 1 GB space , fast support and some sort of image libraries installed .
    Any recomendations would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by csrs
    Hello all . Maybe some of you all can help me . I need a host that offers mod rewrite , safemode off , atleast 1 GB space , fast support and some sort of image libraries installed .
    Any recomendations would be nice
    Your requirements are rather basic. Most hosts allow mod_rewrite via htaccess, safemode is usually always off, and most hosts have GD libraries installed.

It'd help if you stated your bandwidth requirement and budget, too. In the meantime, check out http://steadfast.net/services/shared.php.

Like Steve Said ^^ most hosts have those things installed, try contacting http://www.precisioneffect.com/ , steve has been around ask him what he got on his machine, maybe you can hook up with his hosting .

But again like he said "It'd help if you stated your bandwidth requirement and budget, too"

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Your requirements are rather basic. Most hosts allow mod_rewrite via htaccess, safemode is usually always off, and most hosts have GD libraries installed.

It'd help if you stated your bandwidth requirement and budget, too. In the meantime, check out http://steadfast.net/services/shared.php.
    Thanks for your reply Steve, however, most host that I have seen say they allow mod rewrite, however, once a check is done
    PHP Code:
    <?php
            phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    most will see that the mod isn't compiled .

Thanks for your reply Steve, however, most host that I have seen say they allow mod rewrite, however, once a check is done
    PHP Code:
    <?php
            phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    Ok than look for a host that has the phpinfo on their site crystal clear. Than you can signup up if you like phpinfo. Best way to locate if a host has phpinfo listed is doing this : go to www.google.ca , type domainname say abc.com + phpinfo.

Say for example " precisioneffect.com phpinfo " and so on.

You will get a link to most hosts phpinfo if they have one.

Cheers

PHP Code:
    <?php
            phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    Just make sure mod_rewrite is a loaded module.

Other than that, your best bet would be to contact the host. I believe most hosts support the mod_rewrite module.
    Last edited by sgarbus; 11-11-2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo :D

PHP Code:
    <?php
            phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    mod_rewrite is Apache module, not PHP module.

It doesn't show with php_info() (at least on the server with PHP running as CGI).

Just ask the hosts, or you can test with .htaccess file containing simple test code.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    (at least on the server with PHP running as CGI)..
    Correct Now, can someone recomend a good host that they are sure of that can offer this ? I am currently with 1&1 ,however , they do not allow mod rewrite .

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    mod_rewrite is Apache module, not PHP module.

It doesn't show with php_info() (at least on the server with PHP running as CGI).
    It also doesnt show if the host has secuirty enabled and has decided to prevent showing apache loaded modules . Its just varies from host to host

Correct Now, can someone recomend a good host that they are sure of that can offer this ? I am currently with 1&1 ,however , they do not allow mod rewrite .
    Check out http://steadfast.net/services/shared.php. I know for sure they allow mod_rewrite because I've used it before.

If you're looking elsewhere and are unsure, it never hurts to ask. It'd actually probably help you because you'd be able to see how well of a response time the host has.

Good luck.

What kind of image libraries installed do you need?
    Like ImageMagick? GD? both? any other?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    What kind of image libraries installed do you need?
    Like ImageMagick? GD? both? any other?
    Really doen't matter just as long as they have something .
    Thanks for the replies here . I am checking into a couple .