server101.com are an unbelievably good company

I have had websites hosted with this company for 3 years now and they are a flawless, caring company that have exceeded my expectations every step of the way.

Since i hosted my first website with them 3 years ago, after having constantly monitored my site using keynote there has been ONE outage.

One downtime in 3 years is fantastic by anyones standards, and this downtime was caused by an air conditioning failiure in hurricane electrics San Jose data center which in turn meant server101.com had to shut down the most part of their cluster and san. They even made the effort to write a placeholder page to put in place of all their clients index files to inform them of the problems which meant they would have to have risked burning a server out by keeping it running despite the obvious high tempreature in the DC. That is commitment to service.

All this hype about "grid-server" blah blah has been around for years and Server101.com are one company that have been harnessing its power since their launch. Look at their network page, they dont hype it up or try and make it sound like something new, its just how their system works and its been reliable and trustworthy. They have between 5000 and 6000 customers.

I know this forum is populated by mostly budget hosts, and im sure id be lucky if s101 get a single customer out of this post, but if your looking for business class web hosting and dont mind paying a bit more for a tenfold better service, i strongly reccomend Server101.com

If you join, tell martial (the owner) Lee.F told you to join, i owe him about 20 favours so this can stand as one.

http://www.server101.com
    Last edited by Bodeba; 11-11-2006 at 09:06 AM.

What domains do you host with them?
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Currently: firsidefc.com - a website for a local football team my mother is the secretary of.

I am also in the process of building another site in the form of an e-store but im too scared to tell anyone the domains as im not sure what registerfly has done with them. But thats another story...

Past: neon101.com (discontinued (my first ever site... poor layout, nothing but stupid pictures and jokes etc))
    Past: yondermail.com (discontinued (web-based email system i ran for a school project))
    Past: infexious.net (i had to move to hostgator due to their promise of dozens of gigabytes for next to nothing as infexious.net is an mp3 archive / forum type thing)

Although the sites have changed over the years, i have had no less than 3 years of solid business relationship with these guys and i dont have a bad word to say about them.
    Last edited by Bodeba; 11-11-2006 at 09:16 AM.

Greetings from Tokyo.

I just thought its worth mentioning that those servers are blessingly fast. Seems like those HTML pages are on my computer even before I click on the links ;-)

Seems like they have at least an excellent cache/load balancer .
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I visited the 101server.com but such low space and low bandwidth for $8 It is definitely higher

as in post #1

I know this forum is populated by mostly budget hosts, and im sure id be lucky if s101 get a single customer out of this post, but if your looking for business class web hosting and dont mind paying a bit more for a tenfold better service, i strongly reccomend Server101.com
    Its a lot compared to other quality companies like demon. (who are ranked by netcraft as the 5th most reliable host for October) With demon you get 100mb of storage and 5gb of transfer for £10, which equates to $19.10

There are plenty of companies offering what seems low space but if you take into account the size of an average website its perfectly reasonable.

Peoples perception of what is reasonable is completely blurred because of the fact this market is over saturated
    Last edited by Bodeba; 11-11-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by freewebspace
    I visited the 101server.com but such low space and low bandwidth for $8 It is definitely higher
    Nothing wrong with that as long as the service is decent and the customer is happy with it

Glad to hear you're a happy hosting customer!

Peoples perception of what is reasonable is completely blurred
    Ain't that the truth?

Some of low budget hosts have redundant setup (although there are differences in many points, I guess).

I think it's time for these better quality hosts to understand that offering large bandwidth/diskspace doesn't mean users will use up all.

More users are going for the hosts/accounts with larger allowance to have the "peace of the mind".

They just want assurance that their site doesn't get suspended/shutdown when digged/slashedotted, on top of "zero-down time".
    And they want to use heavy badly written unsecure PHP/MySQL apps.
    All these within $15 to $20 per month.

If a host can solve this equation, it will be a BIG hit, IMO.

Seriously redundantly insane DreamHost, rather overcautious MT, or one of these higher quality host with much much more aggressive marketing strategy can be a candidate.

But we may have to wait another few years .... eventhough users are already asking, craving for it.

"Reliability" is the word people use it to describe the host they want, although they may not have the clear idea of "what is reliability" and "how it can be achieved".
    The demand is there. Also, providers are there, too.
    But there is a too much gap between the offer and demand.

To meet the demand, hosts with higher technical ability should think about the way they can lower the cost , dramatically, without sacrificing the reliablity.
    (And also make the choice of obtaining less profit per account, but getting lots of share in the market.)

Personally, I think it's possible, with current technology.
    And I think there is a chance for even smaller hosts.

Its not just a case of technology though, support is 50 percent of a hosting company

For a support department to actually have the time to help their clients, instead of giving answers, that department needs more funding.

And when i mean help i mean actually getting their hands dirty having a look at what the problem is... not 'escliating' a ticket which is something i hate reading.

Ill give you an example. On one of my first sites i had a status script which was supposed to update itsself every 10 seconds and print a report of all the different modules in the system i had designed. Id made a complete bodge of it and i had no idea what to do i thought id done everything propperly. (note, at this point i was new to this whole internet thing, i think i was 15 and i still had a life per se server101's support rep actually changed stuff inside the script so it worked for me, it probably only took him 10 minutes, but for a support rep to spend 10 minutes on one "ticket" is unheard of from most hosts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodeba
    Its not just a case of technology though, support is 50 percent of a hosting company

For a support department to actually have the time to help their clients, instead of giving answers, that department needs more funding.

And when i mean help i mean actually getting their hands dirty having a look at what the problem is... not 'escliating' a ticket which is something i hate reading.

Ill give you an example. On one of my first sites i had a status script which was supposed to update itsself every 10 seconds and print a report of all the different modules in the system i had designed. Id made a complete bodge of it and i had no idea what to do i thought id done everything propperly. (note, at this point i was new to this whole internet thing, i think i was 15 and i still had a life per se server101's support rep actually changed stuff inside the script so it worked for me, it probably only took him 10 minutes, but for a support rep to spend 10 minutes on one "ticket" is unheard of from most hosts out there.
    I think it depends on users.

For me, that kind of support isn't needed.
    I write script myself, and debug myself.
    And I hate it when a host dare to touch my site, especially when they do it without telling me (and often making the situation worse).

So, only things I want is good hardware and server setup.
    Other than that, I won't be using support unless it's abolutely necessary.

That's why I prefer a host who put money into hardware and good configuration, rather than the support.

But I do understand there are many people who want extensive support.
    Maybe the market will split into two segments, more distinctively.
    And I'm hoping that hosts with good technology would seize the tendency and offer super value fully redundant package, without extensive support.
    If the server doesn't go down, they don't need so much support (in theory), anyway.