Thread: Spamming

Spamming

Hello

I receive many many spams on my servers, what software do you suggest me to install on my server for spams to be killed?

Thanks

Smile

You can use spamassassin, but I do not recommend it if you are getting loads like 30 junk mail per minute.

If you are using exim, you can use the RBLs in the ACL, but they block the mail instead of tagging them.

I use my own perl filter script to tag instead of blocking

I have used spamassession but it was useless. any other usefull sofware? I am really tired of too many spams.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IRLAMP
    I have used spamassession but it was useless. any other usefull sofware? I am really tired of too many spams.

Thanks

http://www.rvskin.com/index.php?page=public/antispam

try that
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

there is no software to stop spam.

Spamassassin has a place, but it should be invoked after other methods have been used - not as the only method.

I guarantee you that you'll get very little spam moving through a properly configured mail system that employs a weighted RBL check during the SMTP session itself, which will reject the vast majority of spam before it is even accepted by your mail server.

I use:

SMTP -> policyd-weight (weighted RBL evaluation) -> postgrey (selective greylisting turned on/off on per domain basis) -> Postfix (with some fairly basic anti UCE/SPAM settings)

Postfix -> clamav -> Postfix
    Postfix -> spamassassin with fairly stock rules, no RBL checks of course (since better checks were done earlier), Bayes on and fed a bunch of ham and spam initially, now just auto spam/ham adds to the corpus. -> Postfix -> to delivery agent.

Notes:

Policyd-weight rejecting most of the spam up front means much less spamassassin-induced load on the server.

Postgrey certainly helps reduce spam but for some client domains have to turn it off. Too many broken mail servers out there, still. If they all followed the specs correctly, grey listing would be a very valuable tool in the anti-UCE wars.

Important - get scripts to review your logs. Seeing what SA and other tools are doing on a day to day basis can help you tune the overall system, and you will have to keep an eye on the beast - what works today will not work as well six months from now. I've got tools which tell me which RBL's are rejecting most of the spam; daily spam fighting efficiency stats mailed to me, unusual spam occurences summarized for me. Doesn't take but a second to review once a day.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 11-11-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by spechackers
    there is no software to stop spam.
    please, go into detail before spouting off outrageously incorrect generalizations.