Need a host that allows periodic background tasks and loads of emails

Hi,

I need a host that allows a periodic background task, possibly a cron job, to pull RSS feeds from several sites. Also need to be allowed to send emails automatically, possibly a few dozen a day at first, likely going up to some hundred later. I don't need much storage (maybe half a GB) or any fancy extras, as long it runs Ruby on Rails I'm fine.

Of course, as cheap as possible, looking at maybe <10$/month for the beginning. If that's impossible, what's the best offer out there?
    Any good recommendations?

Thanks.

Honestly, I think the best solution for you is a VPS, not many hosts allow either background tasks or loads of e-mails sent.

there are several hosts that will let you do those things. check the shared hosting offers section.

Regards,

You're probably looking at a VPS or dedicated solution rather than shared.

From what your post says - it sounds like you want to spam.

Grab a bunch of RSS feeds and send it along with SPAM so it bypasses filters. Hmm.

Excuse me, but I'm not going for spam. There are also legitimate services that pull RSS feeds and send emails.

Anyway, any specific recommendations regarding VPSs? I emailed a few and all of them didn't want to let me do what I want to without giving me a dedicated server, which is quite expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by sneeka2
    Excuse me, but I'm not going for spam. There are also legitimate services that pull RSS feeds and send emails.

Anyway, any specific recommendations regarding VPSs? I emailed a few and all of them didn't want to let me do what I want to without giving me a dedicated server, which is quite expensive...
    Yeah, with your budget it'll be very difficult to have a dedicated server. You'd better to have a shared one. Do your search in Google and maybe you'll find what you want to have.

I emailed a few and all of them didn't want to let me do what I want to
    Exactly what was that bothered them?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Exactly what was that bothered them?
    Mainly the periodic background task. Almost all point out their email quota of course, but shared servers and cron jobs don't go together well it seams.