Question Does forwarding one domain to another domain 'mess' up google's indexing?

Maybe I haven't explained my concern properly but I have read that when you use two different domains on the same site - once you've navigated to that site, all of your pages use that domain. When googlebot crawls both domains, it will treat each as as separate site. When it finds that both sites have the same pages, it will penalize both of them for being spammy.

Is that correct?

I have a domain that isn't being used but it is 'related' to another domain that I am using. If I point the unused domain to the 'running' website will that mess google up?

Thanks.

It depends on how you're doing it. If you have a simple page in the site that redirects you to another domain it should work fine.

On the other hand, if you use aliases, where the browser address always stays at whichever domain you came in on, i could easily see that splitting up the stuff. I would imagine physical redirects would be best.

I don't do it though. eg: i own a site www.e-referrer.com that gets over 21 million page views per month. I also have ereferrer.com ereferer.com and e-referer.com (just incase people mis spell it) all configured as aliases. I have noticed that it looks like my stats go down since i've done this. The reason I mention the amount of traffic is to let you know that it's a real trend, not just a few hits i'm talking about.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

What do you mean by "configured as aliases?" Is that the same as a forward from your registrar's domain management panel?

Thanks.

Wow. 21million + page views. Wow.

an alias is done on the webserver. it's a shortcut that's done in the appache config that tells the browser to go find the files in the original site, even though they're using another.

It's not something that's done in the registrar's site. You'd still point both to the same IP, but the web server manages the aliases based on http headers.

What control panel are you using?
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Doggone it! I don't seem to be getting responses on some of the threads to which I'm subscribed!

I'm glad I decided to search for this thread.

e-places, I am using cPanel.

Great info! Thanks.

A simpler way to solve this problem would be a 301 redirect. There are lots of way to do this. Most people use 301 .htaccess. I prefer 301 PHP coz I'm familar with the language.

This is because some servers don't have the setting to do this.

With this 301 redirect, Google ranking won't be affected. Both sites won't be considered as duplicate but as one.
    Affordable web hosting and also a reliable web hosting.
    24x7 support. Dedicated for your online business needs, with complete scripts (milist, blog, autoresponder, audio, video, etc) and monthly products with (Master) Resell Rights.

I don't see how google would even know that I have another domain that points to a website if I'm doing it via my domain registrar.