Large vs Small File Hosting Server's

Hi,

I am am confused, I know I can solve the puzzle by actually implementing it but still want everyone's reviews.

Server are going to be used for streaming.

Server 1 : 2x500 gb Raid 1 hdd with 30mbps network

vs

Server 2 : 2x250 gb Raid 1 hdd with 10 mbps network ( Quantity 2 )

Which setup would be better comparing both, Factors to consider Cost ,Performace, Uptime.

Comments n Suggestions are most welcome.

Well it depends on at what bit rate you will be streaming also as that will define the maximum # of connections your bandwidth limit can take.

i.e if it is for example say at 200kbps, than with server one you will be able to provide streaming to up to 150 users, and a single server can handle 300 concurrent connections.

but if it is like say, at 20kbps, than on a single server you are looking to have 1500 users at max. Where server hardware might start to breakdown. In that situation being on 2 servers will be better option.

So tell us what exactly you will be streaming first of all. Video or audio. And what will be streaming bit rate, and expected no. of connections during the peek!
    :: TIMESWAY NETWORK :: Reliable . Powerful . Hosting ::
    :: At Timesway, Top Quality and Top Reliability won't cost you Top Dollar.
    :: Celebrating our 7th Anniversary : Check our Special Offers on Dedicated Servers!

Hi,

Our streaming bit rate is 64kbps. Actually I dont have much idea about no. of connection but we use more than 20mbps on our 2x500gb server.

since you are already using more than 20mbps, you need to have more bandwidth as your first priority. Hence out of the given 2 options, you have to stick with the first one which has 30mbps bw, as other 2 will just add up to same as now of 20mbps, while your needs are more than that.
    :: TIMESWAY NETWORK :: Reliable . Powerful . Hosting ::
    :: At Timesway, Top Quality and Top Reliability won't cost you Top Dollar.
    :: Celebrating our 7th Anniversary : Check our Special Offers on Dedicated Servers!