Problems with Hivelocity and streaming radio/video?

I've been with these guys for some time now and things are usually pretty smooth. Packet loss here and there, but nothing major to complain about.

But over the last few months I've been noticing these little drops or blips on the network traffic screen which cause most connections to d/c or buffer. It usually only lasts for a few MSs but it is long enough to really screw up the listening experience of our users.

Anyone else had problems like this?

Lightbulb

Can't say that I have. I run 4 streams for watsradio.com and don't notice any packet loss or "blips".

They could be related to anything from not enough CPU, Ram, to many I/O operations on the hard drive to incorrect duplexing on the network card.

Well we have two indentical systems with the exact same CPU usage loads, each on different switches. One has next to no problems, while the other server his plagued with them.

In addition, we have much higher listener load than your servers, so you might not be noticing them, or might have a low enough bandwidth consumption that your streams go by uneffected.

Hi Scot,

What streaming server platform do you use? Shoutcast, Win Media, ect?

If you're using Win Media, you can access detailed Windows Media Service performance information from PerfMon.

Even if you're using Shoutcast or something else, you should be able to dig around quite a bit in the Networking performance monitor to look for retransmits, errors, ect.

Finally, you're host should be able to easily rule out any local network issues be checking their switch gear for frame errors, duplex issues, congestion, ect.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

maybe your server is network limited (limited to a fixed rate of KB/s) and it's reaching it.

That might explain why it buffers. Are you using more than 90% of what you pay? (bandwidth)
    ^_^

Not even, We are on switched 100mbps lines and usually consume around 10-20% with no major spikes.

Hmm...

Maybe if you do a traceroute to one of your listeners that complain about buffering will reveal the point where all the lag is at.
    ^_^

Brilliant, its a wonder I didn't think of that *rolls eyes*

The packet loss is ALL on the Hivelocity network. Even as we speak the bloody server is offline and there has been 10-20% packet loss for the last 4 days all either on my port, or on their router/switch's port.

To top all that off, they are now taking over 72 hours to respond to my bloody trouble tickets.

Yeah, network is not good with hivelocity.

We cancelled our monitoring server from them because of this issue.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Were you on one of their switched ports?

I'm beginning to think they have really low quality Cogent bandwidth alotted for those customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot @ SJIRadio
    I'm beginning to think they have really low quality Cogent bandwidth alotted for those customers.
    I think the issue has a lot more to do with HV's network architecture than their use of Cogent bandwidth. If 10-20% packet loss was the norm with Cogent, nobody would buy their transport; clearly that is not the case.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    I think the issue has a lot more to do with HV's network architecture than their use of Cogent bandwidth. If 10-20% packet loss was the norm with Cogent, nobody would buy their transport; clearly that is not the case.
    10-20% packet loss is certainly not the norm for our customers. We are working ith Scot to resolve the issue. We have replied to his tickets, howereve, there are multiple tickets open on the same issue and we replied to one ticket but not the other so there was some confusion there.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Well it certainly has been average for me and as far as I'm considered I'm a normal customer.

I've now been transfered to your unmetered account because apparently your switched ports are setup to handle streaming accounts (which makes no sense to me) and now I have yet to go 12 hours without BOTH of my servers getting disconnected for 10-30 second periods effectively knocking off every one of my listeners.

I might add that both of my servers run completley independantly of each other and stream completley different content, and that the disconnections happen at identical times. You do the math.

any updates regarding this issue? I was looking into Hivelocity but having some doubt now.

Thanks,
    Alexander Davila
    Map & Web Hosting
    URLdownload.com

Well it certainly has been average for me and as far as I'm considered I'm a normal customer.

I've now been transfered to your unmetered account because apparently your switched ports are setup to handle streaming accounts (which makes no sense to me) and now I have yet to go 12 hours without BOTH of my servers getting disconnected for 10-30 second periods effectively knocking off every one of my listeners.

I might add that both of my servers run completley independantly of each other and stream completley different content, and that the disconnections happen at identical times. You do the math.

Totally unrelated, BUT.... Been listening to your station since I saw this post originally.

Good stuff

Glad you like the stream, what channel do you listen too?

Also, and update: I've since been switched from a switched port, to some of the 10mbps unmetered, although its wasn't flawless, the last 48 hours have definitley been good. Usually under 3% packet loss.

Although I was having problems before, I must say, the tech support at HV is great. I must have had 20-30 posts to the support ticket and after the initial mix-up there were responding right away.

Apparently I spoke to soon. More BS.

Again, having problems on BOTH servers at identical times, and what does tech support suggest? Upgrade to more bandwidth.

I might add, these problems are occuring when we're at 50-60% consumption of the ports bandwidth. Regardless though, whether I'm at 10% or 100% if both completley independant servers go down at the same time, the only thing causing it can be the network.

I wish they would stop telling me to upgrade my sh!t and try upgrading their own!

Apparently I spoke to soon. More BS.

Again, having problems on BOTH servers at identical times, and what does tech support suggest? Upgrade to more bandwidth.

I might add, these problems are occuring when we're at 50-60% consumption of the ports bandwidth. Regardless though, whether I'm at 10% or 100% if both completley independant servers go down at the same time, the only thing causing it can be the network.

I wish they would stop telling me to upgrade my sh!t and try upgrading their own!

What platform do you use to stream? We are in the middle of developing our streaming solution and need some input as to what is being used besides shoutcast/windows media.

Thanks!

Those are the only two that I use. I'm probably going to be adding ACC+ in the next bit, but for now just those two.

Our plan is to roll out in the following order:

MP3
    OGG
    Theora
    NSV
    QT
    H.264

Do you get a lot of traffic on the wmv stream? can i ask what tools you use?

Thanks!

Check your PM.

I'm getting packet loss issues during peak hours (not peak on my server, just normal North American peak hour times) as well as slow speeds per connection.

Support says they've checked it out and nothing's wrong tho
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

Packet loss is normal on hivelocity and you should expect it several times a month. Infact ping testing their main site will show that also. While that may not be a fully accurate way of testing it still indicates packet loss.

You generally submit a ticket about having packet loss and they will reset the switch in a hope that it goes away, if it doesn't something else will be blamed.

Go with a better network, colo4jax.com is pretty cheap and even though it's single homed to cogent I have been pushing 100mbit straight for 3 months now. Whereas that would NEVER be possible at hivelocity.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

If you have so many issues why are you still there?
    IPGHosting.com Shared Hosting, Dedicated Servers, and Streaming Services.
    24x7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by IPGHosting
    If you have so many issues why are you still there?
    If you are speaking to me, I am not there. Some of my customers do have hivelocity servers and almost all of them have moved but there is still some who havn't yet.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Moving takes effort and HV is also pretty good pricing for my budget... plus I've also prepaid

Jay seems to take care of the speed issues most of the time when I open a support ticket, tho the other staff seem to say nothing's wrong :|
    I'm not trying to bash anyone (Hivelocity seems like a nice company), just don't know who to talk to about it since support claims nothing's wrong :| Trying to get a second opinion since I wanted to make sure the problem wasn't me.

Below are exerpts from support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    64 bytes from www.cogentco.com (38.9.51.20): icmp_seq=200 ttl=55 time=24.4 ms
    --- cogentco.com ping statistics ---
    201 packets transmitted, 174 received, 13% packet loss, time 207276ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.356/25.286/32.501/1.009 ms, pipe 2

--- a152.g.akamai.net ping statistics ---
    151 packets transmitted, 135 received, 10% packet loss, time 150175ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.544/26.556/44.274/2.212 ms, pipe 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I am still unable to duplicate this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I have taken some further steps in checking the band width usage of the rack your server is on and the port your server is using and the entire rack is not using more than 10mb so i am not seeing anything there that would be causing a bottle neck of any kind.
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

I had 4 Servers at HiVelocity, 4 Dual Xeons, the servers themselves where great, but the network was horrible, slow and shoddy. I suggest a different host all together.

Just my opinion.
    Linux/Windows Technician
    JCulpin [at] Gmail.com

I don't really get much latency, ping times are always pretty reasonable, and I am up in Canada.

My main problem is they will have 1-2 second instances where the switch and everything beyond it will have 100% packet loss. Although this may be fine for a website, streaming music servers like ours don't fair to well as this causes windows media streams to rebuffer, and shoutcast streams to disconnect completley. And this occured almost 30 times that I loggest today.

I know it has nothing to do with my server because it occurs at identical times on two completley independant servers I have on there network.

I'm not going to jump ship just yet as I have been with them for a long while and other than these problems over the last few months things are pretty good with them. Tech support is friendly and pretty quick response times. Hopefully we can get the bugs worked out.

Regardless I'll be sure to post the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc
    Go with a better network, colo4jax.com
    Thanks Scott

To the original poster, check your duplex setting with 'mii-tool' and make sure you're in full duplex. If so, check interface errors with 'ifconfig eth0' and make sure everything is 0 or close to 0. If you see error counters increasing over a period of minutes or hours, get them to replace your network cable, watching for interface transitions in your logs (to make sure they actually do it). In fact, you should probably look for transitions anyway, as an interface down/up event would certainly cause your disconnects.

If all else fails, you might want to follow previous suggestions to switch hosts. Good luck!

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Thanks for the pointers, but no duplexing issues, malfunctioning nics, or cable would be causing two completley indpendant servers to have the same problem at identical times.

It obvious it is the network, but it was happening a few months ago. Hopefully its something they can work out in the next little while or I will have to look into other options.

Just an update for everyone. HV has now awknowledged that there have been some problems with their Cognet upstream result in these momentary losses in bandwidth and that they have began making some fixes.

I have definitley noticed a major decrease in the "cuts" that I was experiencing before. Hopefully it stays this way, I'll keep you guys posted of any changes.

Just an update for everyone. HV has now awknowledged that there have been some problems with their Cognet upstream result in these momentary losses in bandwidth and that they have began making some fixes.

I have definitley noticed a major decrease in the "cuts" that I was experiencing before. Hopefully it stays this way, I'll keep you guys posted of any changes.
    Just to clear things up, we did contact our upstream providers weeks ago when the problem was first brought to our attention. Our upstream providers did investigate the problem on several occassions and for whatever reason were not able to find any problem until about 48 hours ago. After much harrassing by us, they finally found a problem and corrected it. I just want to make sure everyone knows that the delay in resolution was not due to our lack of effort. The fix was out of our hands unfortunately.

Thank you Scot for informing everyone that things have improved. I am sorry for the length of time it took but as stated above, the solution was out of our hands. Please keep me in the loop if you should need anything more.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials