View Poll Results: What do you think of the new layout?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it.

11 6.79%
  • I don't like it.

115 70.99%
  • I'm easy.

12 7.41%
  • Back to the drawing board.

17 10.49%
  • I suggest an alternative.

7 4.32%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    As much as I like WHT, I think I am leaving as well, I don't like having to block their ads and don't really want to. I will be on if I need to answer questions about company matters, but otherwise my browse time is going down to nothing.
      0 Not allowed!

i think leaving is little extreme. WHT needs members as much as members need WHT.
      0 Not allowed!

I think one of the real issues here is the lack of presence by iNet. It's becoming rather clear that WHT is becoming a cash crop, with plans of nothing than being whored out with advertisements. I feel truly bad for the WHT Moderators who are left defenseless without any representation by the people that can do something about this.
      0 Not allowed!

i cant believe its still like this, what a let down, its obvious the almighty $ is more powerfull than the people who enable them to make that said $, what a shame
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    AussieHosts -- how could you possibly be defending iNet?
    Simply because I don't disgaree with what they're doing. If they pulled a USD20/mth membership fee out of the hat instead, I'd be a little disappointed. Because that would demonstrate that they just want to run a forum and make money. Instead, they're providing a much broader suite of services and quality comes at a price.

G
      0 Not allowed!

I do not like it at all.
    Its one thing to have ads across the top/bottom of the forum but now on the side.
    Its too distracting when trying to read threads.
    C'mon Inet, please remove.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    While I can see the point of maximizing property, maximizing your property at the expense of others whom you depend on is probably not a very good business model.
    I've never bought in to that "WHT needs us" line. It has been thrown around in here for years. I believe that we (the industry collective) need WHT, and so it will move forward regardless.

G
      0 Not allowed!

Nearly 90% of those who have voted, don't like the addition of the skyscraper banner and want inet to go back to the drawing board. That being said, 68 votes is not enough to draw conclusions, but I'd hazard a guess that those stats would be the similar with thousands of members voting.

We can only hope that Chris/inet management is taking heed to these figures and will act accordingly. I won't be holding my breath.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    a higher price would've had the same effect for iNet
    I've seen mroe compaints about the inability to get in to the advertising space on WHT, than the associated costs. increasing those costs would have just started up threads that complained about that.

We deal with a local advertising company that runs cost-effective tv air time for small businesses. They buy minutes in bulk, and stick 3 10sec clips of 3 different companies in single 30sec slots. Companies that couldn;tpossibly afford their own 15 or 30 second slot yet.

As demand increases, they don't rehash their ratecard. They buy more airtime. With the way the media giants are shifting (down here especially), online advertising is going to follow most of the same models as FTA TV. Get in the consumers face, with the catchiest lines, and just pray that you get caught up in some controversy along the way.

G
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    If demand is above supply, your prices are obviously reasonable, and likely have room to increase.
    If you read Chris's post, he never stated that demand exceeds supply. Aussie Bob tossed that one in. Chris said:

"The biggest of them is that banner advertisement positions are always getting sold out to sponsors. There is a need to add a 3rd banner (the skyscraper) to increase available ad positions.".

Their advertising rates are irrelvant. They can increase availabiilty by opening up more space, and that will satisfy one of their immediate requirements.

G
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHosts
    . If they pulled a USD20/mth membership fee out of the hat instead, I'd be a little disappointed.
    i wouldnt, at least then there would be an option

I've never bought in to that "WHT needs us" line. It has been thrown around in here for years. I believe that we (the industry collective) need WHT, and so it will move forward regardless.
    it doesnt matter really if WHT "needs" US, there would be no WHT "without" us, pay it back to those who build it, there is another WHT out there and enough people "could" leave to really hurt this site
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hcn
    i think leaving is little extreme. WHT needs members as much as members need WHT.
    That's right, however the WHT/member relationship is a voluntary symbiotic connection. WHT has been great to me over the years (it has helped me build 2 successful hosting brands etc), and I've been very good for WHT. It's a 2-way street, but the symbiotic relationship is not mission critical for our businesses, or it shouldn't be. It's just a nice thing to have.

I can't see the extra banner going anywhere. The management of INET are even less connected to WHT than it's previous management. Each time WHT gets sold, the new owners seem to be less connected, and approach WHT solely from a cash generating asset perspective.

Seems they're generating all this extra cash, now might be a good time to push for WHT moderator renumeration, given all that free labor going INET's way, maintaining their cash generating asset?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly I was recently thinking about investing some money in advertisement for an upcoming company, this has made me think otherwise. I sure am GLAD i was not advertising when this monstrosity came about, or I would have a real bitch about going on, i would rather see quality of advertisement.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

G
    Just curious Gary, have you viewed the site in smaller resolutions?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Honestly I was recently thinking about investing some money in advertisement for an upcoming company, this has made me think otherwise. I sure am GLAD i was not advertising when this monstrosity came about, or I would have a real bitch about going on, i would rather see quality of advertisement.
    What's sad is that they've shoved another ad on WHT and you can't even buy them. Top banner and skyscraper are sold out.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I can't see the extra banner going anywhere. The management of INET are even less connected to WHT than it's previous management. Each time WHT gets sold, the new owners seem to be less connected, and approach WHT solely from a cash generating asset perspective.
    It may seem that way since iNET employees do not post as much as Robert or Ryan did. I have had more contact with the current staff than any others. Troy, Scott, Chris, Mat, and Tanya have been very supportive of supporting the moderation team and trying to balance the business versus the community.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-STEVE
    What's sad is that they've shoved another ad on WHT and you can't even buy them. Top banner and skyscraper are sold out.
    This is a factor. If the ads have been posted iNET needs to deliver one way or another.

WHT is a growing and living creature that has undergone many changes. Some which the members assured us would be the downfall. WHT has been like a rollar coaster ride. We will just have to see how the ride turns out.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Just curious Gary, have you viewed the site in smaller resolutions?
    I don't think some people are taking into consideration what users with smaller resolutions are left to work with

I'll make it easy though

800 index - 1024 index

800 list - 1024 list

800 view - 1024 view
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Fact
    This is a factor. If the ads have been posted iNET needs to deliver one way or another.

WHT is a growing and living creature that has undergone many changes. Some which the members assured us would be the downfall. WHT has been like a rollar coaster ride. We will just have to see how the ride turns out.
    So skyscrapers were just added and they are sold out until...?
    Last edited by sgarbus; 11-12-2006 at 12:01 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by westcan
    I don't think some people are taking into consideration what users with smaller resolutions are left to work with

I'll make it easy though

800 index - 1024 index

800 list - 1024 list

800 view - 1024 view
    Do you not use cleartype?
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer
      0 Not allowed!

Oh for some reason I thought that was just me - my laptop shows it horribly condensed. It doesn't affect me much on my desktop (using 1600x1200), but granted the majority of people use the resolution of my laptop.

Yikes.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe that this is wrong and is a frustration.

I've started a petition for anyone interested in signing. Hopefully iNet will be able to see that the members do *not* like this change and will reconsider. Please sign with your WHT username.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sidebar

Just as a note: This petition is in no way an attempt to undermine the authority of iNet Interactive management. It's just simply a way for we, as members, to express that we do not like this change.
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

G
    The industry will move forward regardless, whether WHT is the mainstream community, or some other community. There are also many very successful web hosts that do not use WHT for advertising or any other purposes. While WHT is a great tool (and just a great place to be, especially WHT IRC), I believe that most of us could get along without it. Sure it might be harder if there were not such a big community of people giving advise, but regardless the industry could exist.

I don't think this is enough to stop us from coming to WHT, but it is just building up annoyance that for some has been there since iNet took over. The more people get annoyed and leave, the more this degrades the community. Eventually people stop signing up to share knowledge and just sign up to post ads, and we have a gigantic ad infestation, which people will eventually get sick of, and boom; no more WHT.

Alex
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    Do you not use cleartype?
    No, I do not like cleartype.
      0 Not allowed!

i would have to say i dont like it. there are sites where the right side bar can fit in and i honestly don't think WHT is one of them.

Thanks
    - James
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by westcan
    No, I do not like cleartype.
    Interesting! i didn't know anyone would not like it.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast