hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Hosting recommendations - do I need a VPS

Forum Jump

Hosting recommendations - do I need a VPS

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 AM

Hosting recommendations - do I need a VPS

I currently have a "Windows MultiSite" hosting account with Verio. I have one site up and running for 3 months. Recently I noticed that when my users fill out the forms and submit them, too often I get errors and the forms never get emailed back to my office. I should of noticed this sooner because I've always had problems connecting to my POP email accounts through Outlook. The outlook error has to do with not being able to connect to SMTP; this is the same error I get on the website when users attempt to send the form. Verio claims that the error is due to too many spam emails hitting their servers. Many forms error out, usually they timeout trying to connect, and the email never gets sent.

I have a 30 minute commitment to return a quote to those that submit the forms on my site. I need reliable email.

On a VPS will I have the same problems I'm having with my shared hosting account in regard to email, or is it independent of the other sites? Keep in mind that it's not my email accounts that are being overwhelmed with junk email.

Do the control panels offered create zone files and MX(sp) records? Will I need to learn a lot of networking?

I use very little bandwidth and disk space. Within 4 months I'll have to host about 10 sites. I'm looking for recommendations for a windows based VPS.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Web Hosting Rockstar

You might want to have a look at DEHE for Windows-based VPS'. However, I *highly* doubt that you need a VPS for what you are trying to do - just a stable, high quality shared hosting account should do the trick.

Hope this helps....

Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagel
I currently have a "Windows MultiSite" hosting account with Verio. I have one site up and running for 3 months. Recently I noticed that when my users fill out the forms and submit them, too often I get errors and the forms never get emailed back to my office. I should of noticed this sooner because I've always had problems connecting to my POP email accounts through Outlook. The outlook error has to do with not being able to connect to SMTP; this is the same error I get on the website when users attempt to send the form. Verio claims that the error is due to too many spam emails hitting their servers. Many forms error out, usually they timeout trying to connect, and the email never gets sent.

I have a 30 minute commitment to return a quote to those that submit the forms on my site. I need reliable email.

On a VPS will I have the same problems I'm having with my shared hosting account in regard to email, or is it independent of the other sites? Keep in mind that it's not my email accounts that are being overwhelmed with junk email.

Do the control panels offered create zone files and MX(sp) records? Will I need to learn a lot of networking?

I use very little bandwidth and disk space. Within 4 months I'll have to host about 10 sites. I'm looking for recommendations for a windows based VPS.
I'm not sure on why you need a VPS, a shared host seems to meet and even exceed all of your needs. Make sure you find a shared host with a reliable e-mail server and a control panel that offers editing of MX records (most do such as HELM). Running your own VPS means you need to lock down your own server, configure e-mail appropriately, configure the web server, etc. There's really a lot of hassle to it and may not be worth it for you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

No need for VPS. Just look for a reliable host as mentioned by the previous posts.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Skyhigh Networks Releases Tool to Measure Public Cloud Risks Web Hosting News 2014-02-19 11:20:21
Review Group Releases Recommendations for Government Access to Private Data Web Hosting News 2013-12-24 09:51:22
White House Plans Cybersecurity Incentives for US Businesses Web Hosting News 2013-08-07 13:08:53
White House Recommends Legislative Action to Curb Patent Troll Abuse Web Hosting News 2013-06-05 09:15:46
cPanel Conference 2012: Virtualize All the Things with Nate Custer Web Hosting News 2012-11-12 13:54:36