recommend a good host

Dear friends
    I have purchased 2gb space in shared hosting with no restriction on bandwidth. Monthly bandwidth consumption of my site is around 200GB. I had no problem with my host so far but now my site goes down once in a week for several hours, i have to submit a ticket and my webhost immediately move my site to lower crowded application pool on my request. Which is a temporary solution to my problem. And also i use internet for some time daily, so can't monitor working of my site all the time.

Can any one suggest a hosting company that can offer atleast 600GB bandwidth a month with around 6-8 GB harddisk on windows server supporting both ASP and PHP + mysql with maximum uptime.

I have no experience in hosting related stuff, hardwares etc., most of my bandwidth is consume by audio and video streaming and downloads. So please try to solve my problem with your experience and let me know what shall i do.

Thanks

What is your budget but you really are going to have to be looking at a VPS if not a dedicated and that will mean more day to day managment of the server itself
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I have little knowledge of hosting and related hardwares so managing server is really difficult for me, also i have a busy schedule; so won't get enough time.

Well i can arrange a maximum of US $800 for one year (full advance payement), can it get my problem fixed with this amount.

Thanks

Your best choice will be a fully managed dedicated server, you may look in the offers section or dedicated forum section.
    Last edited by Segey; 11-10-2006 at 05:17 AM.

Depending on how busy your site is, I would also suggest to move to a VPS. You could get a fully managed VPS, so you needn't worry about maintaining the server.

If your site is very busy then you better move to a dedicated server, or in your case a fully managed one.

With that budget a VPS is do-able, but a dedicated server will be a bit more difficult to find for that price. Well, i'm sure you'll find plenty of hosts who offer cheap ones, but you'd need it to be reliable too ;-)
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Problem with my current hosting is that i am on shared enviroment, otherwise i am satisfied with their services and quick replies to queries. They also provide semi dedicated / dedicated servers but are expensive and also not according to my requirements.

Yea i have alot of visitors but bandwidth consumption is mainly due to streaming audio and video, which i do not want to remove.

Thanks for the replies, now i have some idea that my requirement is a fully managed VPS. Please let me know a trusted and reliable VPS provider that can fullfill my requirements. As i have already changed 2 hosting companies suggested by friend. I do not want any more experiements thats why joined webhostingtalk forum to get suggestions from experienced people.

Thanks
    Last edited by HAMZA1; 11-10-2006 at 05:33 AM.

You'll try VPS. This is the best solution.

We're not really allowed to recommend hosts, but you could have a look at the offers section or the host quote feature.

Good luck on your quest
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers

Thanks for such nice suggestions.

Its fine if recomending host is not allowed, please let me know what hardware requirements shall i search in hosting package then.
    I mean processor, RAM, backup etc., as i do not know enough about it. What hardware requirements are there for 6-8GB harddisk and atleast 600GB bandwidth per month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabWeb
    We're not really allowed to recommend hosts, but you could have a look at the offers section or the host quote feature.

Good luck on your quest
    Yes you can. Just not your own or ones you're affiliated with!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by HAMZA1
    Its fine if recomending host is not allowed, please let me know what hardware requirements shall i search in hosting package then.
    I mean processor, RAM, backup etc., as i do not know enough about it. What hardware requirements are there for 6-8GB harddisk and atleast 600GB bandwidth per month.
    Well, those are the requirements you need, so I suggest you look for a host who offers VPS accounts with those specifications which you need.

600 GB bandwidth and 8 GB disk space should not be a problem at all to find.

hello HAMZA1,

sorry if this seems obvious, but perhaps your current host is offering VPS or dedicated servers ?

That would be the ideal solution.

Best regards
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

They offer both
    Semi dedicated server for $ 80 per month and i was interested in it but bandwidth is only 200GB per month, and i have to pay $10 for extra 5GB bandwidth.

The lowest of dedicated server package will cost me $299 per month offering 40GIG of space but again bandwidth is only 500GB per month. The price is also too high for me, as i can pay a max of $800 per year.

I do not want to leave that host but have no other solution to my problem, i have also asked them to arrange a package for me, reducing space and increasing bandwidth; but they can't do such partition only for me.

If recommendation of others webhosting is allowed then please recommend any hosting on the basis of reliability, trust and uptime.

Thanks
    Last edited by HAMZA1; 11-10-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Those prices do sound a bit steep. I'm sure you can find a better deal if you take a look around.

Whoever you choose, make sure that you contact them and ask them questions first so you can get an idea of their speed and support.

That price is very high! Look elsewhere, not just these forums!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

You should consider looking for your own machine.

try shinjiru.com -> this company located at Malaysia, my hometown. Their seem good for me.

PWRtech --> I do not have enough budget to get a dedicated server thats why am searching for VPS now.

Today my site was down again, i was talking to representative in online support (who i think was not a technical person), and he said that you are using access database and it may be the reason your site is down.

My site is in ASP and access databases used are small not more than 1.5MB, having 2-3 tables and each table having maximum of 3 rows with no more than 6 columns.
    There is traffic on these pages but every section has a seperate database like (games section, downloads section) etc., Can it be the reason ?

Its really strange my site is hosted on windows server and all sections design in ASP are Down almost daily now while my forum that is in PHP with mysql database is UP all the time.

Can any technical person suggest whether it is problem with access database or hosting, as i start getting this problem since November and is temporarily fixed by changing my application pool.

Thanks

I really get annoyed with everyone here recommending a VPS flat out for anyone who uses over 100 GB a month, it is ridiculous.....

HAMZA, you may not get around the 600 GB but if you need to fill your quota for 200 GB check out:

www.steadfast.net
    www.successfulhosting.com
    www.webcinch.com

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    I really get annoyed with everyone here recommending a VPS flat out for anyone who uses over 100 GB a month, it is ridiculous.....

HAMZA, you may not get around the 600 GB but if you need to fill your quota for 200 GB check out:

www.steadfast.net
    www.successfulhosting.com
    www.webcinch.com
    Whether he needs a shared account, VPS or dedicated server does not depend on just bandwidth alone.
    He for example states that he uses audio and video streaming and downloads. Shared/reseller accounts will not keep up with that kind of demand, unless the host specifically allows it and has the right hardware for it. If you have a lower end VPS, that will not take a lot of that either (depends on how busy his site is, of course, you might be worse off than with a shared account), and if he goes for a high end VPS then he might as well take a lower spec dedicated box already, which would give him much better reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabWeb
    Whether he needs a shared account, VPS or dedicated server does not depend on just bandwidth alone.
    He for example states that he uses audio and video streaming and downloads. Shared/reseller accounts will not keep up with that kind of demand, unless the host specifically allows it and has the right hardware for it. If you have a lower end VPS, that will not take a lot of that either (depends on how busy his site is, of course, you might be worse off than with a shared account), and if he goes for a high end VPS then he might as well take a lower spec dedicated box already, which would give him much better reliability.
    Please explain to me how streaming video/audio on a shared account doesn't work as I have been doing it for years? If you chose a host that doesn't massively overload their servers you can do the same thing (and more) as a VPS.

I didn't say that it doesn't work, did I?
    Some hosts do not allow it at all for starters, and other hosts will put a limit as to how much you can stream.
    And yes, plenty of hosts do vastly oversell, causing these slowdown problems too.

That is why that if uptime is very important to you, you better not go for a shared account, but go for VPS or dedicated instead.

My site was also working fine with my host for 6-7 months then suddenly this issue has started. Though i have alot of users but my site is not that much busy in terms of daily hits but enough bandwidth (200GB/month) is consumed because of downloading and streaming audio and videos and bandwidth consumption is increasing day by day with new users.

Please also reply to my message #18 posted above.

Thanks