Does anyone have experience with Hosting + 500 Domains per server ?

Hello Guys,
    Does anyone run more then 400-500 Domains on one Server?

I was wondering what you guys recommend as OS and Panel?

The Server has a 6 GHz CPU (Dual, each 3 GHz) and 8 GB of Ram, so Hardware should not be a problem.

Does anyone has any experience with a similar equipment with about 400-500 Domains?

My main concert is the stability.. I have ensim running with a view hunder domains, but im not that happy with it.

What do you guys think ?
    Would Ensim or plesk show a better performance ?

Quote Originally Posted by netguy5
    Hello Guys,
    Does anyone run more then 400-500 Domains on one Server?

I was wondering what you guys recommend as OS and Panel?

The Server has a 6 GHz CPU (Dual, each 3 GHz) and 8 GB of Ram, so Hardware should not be a problem.

Does anyone has any experience with a similar equipment with about 400-500 Domains?

My main concert is the stability.. I have ensim running with a view hunder domains, but im not that happy with it.

What do you guys think ?
    Would Ensim or plesk show a better performance ?
    I have seen few hosts maintaining the accounts even close to 1000, this should not be a trouble. The risks involved is security checks which has to be done on a regular basis and I will recommend few mod_security rules.

The servers were running with cpanel and with RHEL or CentOS. As from the hardware mentioned in here.. you should have no trouble with this.

Al
    It is reliability that counts...

SATA will become a problem, if a user clicks backup on his 8GB domain, it's game-over unless you are using Ultra320. I have friends who run shared hosting like this, and it works very well for them and their clients. I believe you will be fine, as long as you are using high end storage, SCSI of course.

Also, for so many domains, there is only one choice. Plesk Expand, run centralized mail on one Qmail box, MySQL on it's own server, and it will run absolutely wonderfully.

Depending on the popularity of the sites, this shouldn't be a problem. The only problem you will run into is the number of available file descriptors if each domain has their own logfiles.

sounds good.. thx for the answer.
    Anyone tryed to run a server like this with 500 domains on ensim ?

If your using ensim and plan to host 500+ domains then make sure you DONT use high security mode.

High security mode is a fantastic advantage of Ensim over any other hosting panel/environment but it does come at a performance cost and means you cant load the server as much as normal. Its a compromise you will have to make if you really want to run 500 sites from a server.

If you charge a realistic price for your service then you shouldnt need to put more than a couple of hundred domains on a server before you make good money, and your clients will appreciate the good performance and lack of overselling.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I run a few servers with around 1500 domains each, and they run fine. However i would NEVER recommend putting that many active domains on a server with a single hard drive, RAID 5 or higher should be the minimum if you want decent performance.

My servers are part of an HSphere cluster and run FreeBSD.