Valencia, CA

How many users does it take to crash a box?

What's been your experience with how many users a server can handle before it starts to load down and time out?

We have a situation where a social networking site powered by phpFox is loading down a Dual Xeon 2.4 with 1 GB memory when it only has 90 or 100 simultaneous users. The box is running RHEL 4, MySQL 4.x. When it happens it shows MySQL using 15-25% cpu and users begin to time out when trying to access features on the site.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Business & eCommerce Web Hosting, Site Development & Marketing eSolutions

New Jersey
    I would suggest placing the MySQL service on another separate box, because that is most likely what is slowing down the performance.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

Omaha, Nebraska
    Two things that I'd suggest;

1) More memory - MySQL loves memory. The more you have, the faster it can execute the processes and deliver the results to customers.

2) Run a slow query log so that you can see what queries may be taking too long, and you can possibly optimize the code for those queries.

Log Slow MySQL Queries
    touch /var/log/z_mysql_slow.log
    chown mysql.root /var/log/z_mysql_slow.log
    nano /etc/my.cnf
    Edit the [mysqld} section to say the following
    long_query_time = 15

service mysql restart

I name the file "z_mysql_slow.log" as when I go to /var/log it will be one of the last files on the list - handy for me to check sizes etc
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting