help me - about Data Center - DataBank or Savvis IDC

help me - about Data Center - DataBank or Savvis IDC!!

which one is faster or better?
    anyone knows ???

thanx

Hi,

Savvis for me.

Regards,
    Charles
    DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be...
    Sales@DedicatedPlace.com * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.

Each DC is peered differently, so results will vary quite a bit depending on who you ask and what networks they transverse. I've had great luck with a server I have in LT's Databank space.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

anymore comments ?
    thanx

Savvis has been 100 percent for me.

They are both much the same in my opinion - your best looking at where your clients are coming from and compare that with the peering of each to get an answer

Quote Originally Posted by guyellis1988
    They are both much the same in my opinion - your best looking at where your clients are coming from and compare that with the peering of each to get an answer
    yes, exactly!

i think my customers will be international,
    and most of them will from asian countries,
    some from America, and some from EU...

so, what is recommendation for now?
    which one would be better?
    thanx,

Hmm, I'd go with Savvis, I remember there being a few network issues when I was on Databank (while the clients who were hosted on Savvis were fine).

Quote Originally Posted by chessming
    yes, exactly!

thanx,
    Savvis has the better global peering. If you know upfront most of your clients will be from asian countries, why not look into an asian based datacenter?

yes, exactly!

thanx,

If that is the case you don't want to be in Texas. You want to be on the west coast.
    Jay

Savvis has better international peering, as they run a big global network.

But yes, you probably want a west coast server.

Quote Originally Posted by 12dollarhost
    Savvis has the better global peering.
    Not to detract from people saying a US west coast / Asia located server would be a better option, but at Databank you still get Savvis bandwidth. I believe at the Savvis facility the bandwidth is exclusively provided by Savvis, whereas at Databank you get a mix of Level(3), Savvis, Sprint, TimeWarner, and Broadwing(or Level(3) again after acquisition).
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    Not to detract from people saying a US west coast / Asia located server would be a better option, but at Databank you still get Savvis bandwidth. I believe at the Savvis facility the bandwidth is exclusively provided by Savvis, whereas at Databank you get a mix of Level(3), Savvis, Sprint, TimeWarner, and Broadwing(or Level(3) again after acquisition).
    We have been with Savvis for quite awhile. We've had routing issues inside SAVVIS. In fact they are moving our server tommorrow to resolve them. Mind you though, we have between 6,000 and 13,500 on at a time during business hours and it cools to around 2,000 at 3 AM Eastern, and two-thirds or our traffic is INBOUND to assemble xml queried information for customers.

We have profiled both SAVVIS and Databank. From out testing we learned that early in the day, SAVVIS is quicker by about 18%. However, as the day wears on, both SAVVIS and Databank slow down, but SAVVIS slows down proportionately more than Databank.
    - For our east coast location, mornings start out with an 18% SAVVIS lead, but by 15:00 Eastern, it's a dead heat, and by 18:00, Databank has a 6% advantage.
    - For our west coast location, the swings are far more drastic. At 14:00 eastern, SAVVIS still has a 25% advantage, but by 15:00 eastern, Databank had a 260% advantage, and that advantage continues to hold through at least 19:30 eastern.

Summary:
    - During peak traffic times, it appears that SAVVIS is very weak on the west coast, and slightly weaker on the east coast.
    - For east and central clients, it doesn't matter much which one you use. 80% of the US internet users are east of the Mississippi.
    - SAVVIS is not a general technology location. It's focus is servers for large corporations.
    - Databank is a general technology location that supports a lot of different technologies besides internet servers.
    - SAVVIS will always have the most reliable DC since that is their entire focus.
    - Databank gives better performance more places during busy times. Because of the difference in times between east and west coast, it appears that the Databank advantage comes from its connections, and not because of a low server count in the DC. Traceroutes and packet sniffing show the SAVVIS network segments, wherever they occur, are approximately 18% slower than Sprint when busy.

I make no claims that our research is in depth or studied over long periods of time. I'm simply saying we have had routing issues at SAVVIS for months, and will be moving inside SAVVIS or to Databank. The tests were not performed against our own server which has known routing issues, but to their test servers in each facility. There actually wasn't much difference between our server and the SAVVIS test server which momentarily makes me lean a little more toward Databank.
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 11-11-2006 at 12:23 AM.

PS: I must say that I feel more secure in SAVVIS where it was designed from the ground up for internet server communications rather than a renovated building that used to house the Federal Reserve, and where there not only servers, but telecoms also doing the VOIP switching and a 100 other things going on, on the network, and renting space to various businesses. I think the bottom line is you have two pretty good choices with some trade-offs.

thanx, for such a detail info provided ..
    best regards,

chessming

thanx, for such a detail info provided
    The results of my tests took me where I didn't want to go. It complicates my decision. I never thought that I would have to choose between a rock solid data center and a scalable network. Both slow servers and downtime lose customers. If it wasn't a 260% difference on the west coast for so many hours! No wonder they complain so much.