* Webhost (no phpbb) for Small New Forum?

I am seeking a host for a small new forum i am in the process of creating, and my concerns lie in that i don't want a phpbb forum. I know i can get a good deal (pricewise) with DreamHost but they only offer phpbb for their forum software.

Does anyone know a good inexpensive host that offers software other than phpbb for their forums?

there are many forums out there you can get for free and install them yourself or your host can do it for you (you would have to customize it though) given that you go with a decent host.
    one of the good forums I have seen many people use is smf fourm. it is pretty sweet smooth and nicer than phpbb in my opinion
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Hi,

Most hosts should be compatible with all the major forums such as phpbb, smf, punbb, invisionboard and vbulletin and so on.

Most cPanel hosts should have auto-installer for PHPBB along with SMF Forum, but you can also manually install others such as punbb, yabb and so on without any problems on most php/mysql hosts. You can also go into paid solutions such as vbulletin and invisionboard.

Good luck with your search.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Do you already have any forum script in mind? like Vbulletin or anything special?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If you want you host to offer a forum solution, I think that the case would be invision which is a paid Forum creator and offers hosting packages with included free board.

Tha page is

http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dyna...ity/index.html

But anyway, you can buy any forum software you like (or get free ones) and set it on most of the hosts that offer dynamic packages , ie PHP & Database MySQL...

a real winner, what kind of software would you like to have on your forum?

I have run loads of forums on different formats and I would say phpbb and vBulletin are two of the best (although vBulletin will cost you a one-off licence fee).

Another alternative is SMF which, if you get cpanel/Fantastico with your hosting package, you can install with the click of a couple of buttons. It is a good layout and quite easy to manage but I have to say I prefer vBulletin.

Other alternatives include InvisionBoard which, once again you need a licence for. I hated this as getting skins and mods set up was very hard and expensive.

If you are starting out and will have few members, I would recommend phpbb or SMF. If you have loads of members and a lot of activity vBulletin is your best bet as it handles very well for larger forums.

Please check out my forums vBulletin and phpbb to see what they look like. My forums can be found in my sig.

Hope that helps - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

http://www.cmsreview.com/Forums/OpenSource.html for a list of open source forum software that you can just download, install, and use.

At http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1 you can take a quick look at some of them, and read user comments.

As others have mentioned, phpbb and smf are among the more popular choices. SMF comes with more features out of the box, and I like that.

Another free forum software is MyBB, you can customize it quite a bit. Might be worth checking before you decide which to use.

www.mybboard.com

MyBB is a great forum

I do a lot of tests with web scripts and I like smf and IPB the most out of all forum scripts I have used. If that helps you any.
    IPB is just about done making version 2.2 If you do get that make sure your host does not have php 5.0.5 as it does not work to well with that php version.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    As others have mentioned, phpbb and smf are among the more popular choices. SMF comes with more features out of the box, and I like that.
    More features out of the box = more bugs/things that can go wrong.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I can not disagree with that.

I have an IPB forum with over 4000 members....I have tried all forum scripts and this is certainly the best IMHO...

Also, mods and hacks can be found at invisionize.com

Check it out....

More features out of the box = more bugs/things that can go wrong.
    True, there's always a balance. Lack of features can cause some frustration though, especially when you don't want to mess too much with mods.

I wouldnt worry about using VB, IPB, or even UBB if your just starting out, a small forum doenst need all these extra mods and features, you just need to place where your members can post and maybe use pm's.

Once your site grows and your forums become busy you can then start to look at the more 'elite' forum software, that you will probably have to pay for. These forums usually have a converter of some sort for most free forums as well so you wont lose any information.

WoW. Thanxs for all the replies, guys.

To answer someones question, i was thinking of going with vbulletin only because it seems to be the most pouplar and feature rich. and i have to agree with SYE that if my forum is initially going to be small, i don't really need to worry about (for now) about alot of mods and frills and what not.

Also per you guys recommendation, i will be checking out mybb and smf to see how simple a set-up they have.

Aside from inexpensive, i also need the software to be rather simple as i am not yet 100% forum software intelligent. I actually started the forum a few days ago, through a free software called proboards. But i dont want to set it all up and then not be able to convert to a paid provider and lose all that work.

So i figure i should start with my preferred software/host right off the gate.

XMB is simple. and free. E-mail me with the address in my signature and I'll fill you in.

* smf and cirtex are the winners

I decided to go with Cirtex for hosting and am going to use SMF for forum software. They seem to have a very easy user interface and this wonderful thing called fantastico for net dummies like myself that allows one click install of the forum among other goodies. I love it! I've already started creating and building my coupon forum. yippee. yippee.

Quote Originally Posted by a real winner
    I decided to go with Cirtex for hosting and am going to use SMF for forum software. They seem to have a very easy user interface and this wonderful thing called fantastico for net dummies like myself that allows one click install of the forum among other goodies. I love it! I've already started creating and building my coupon forum. yippee. yippee.
    Good luck with them!

May I ask, is their support any good? Helpful, fast?