How bad do they need people??

My sister's husband was accepted by the Army. He went to boot camp this past summer. What's so unusual about that you ask? He's 36.

... He applied, he was accepted. If he doesn't have any large reason not to be in the army, I see not age as one of them. He can still move around well enough, and we don't know, is he even a field solider?

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude
    My sister's husband was accepted by the Army. He went to boot camp this past summer. What's so unusual about that you ask? He's 36.
    The cut off age for acceptance has been 42 for quite some time now. Someone being 36 is perfectly capable of being in the army though, I really don't see what the big deal is. They were accepting people at that age before the war in Iraq, and they still are.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 11-09-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Really? I never knew they upped the age. When I was in it was a lot lower than that. I thought it was 20 something... When did the age limit change??

it went from 35 to 40 and then in June it was raised to 42

I think that he is a pretty capable man at the age of 36 (I'm defending people that age because I'll get there some day ). I don't think he should be considered old, but I can see why you are a bit surprised. As the others said, the age limit is higher than 36.

I am in the USMC right now, I've been through scout sniper school and I am thinking about going out for recon. Alot of the people I know in recon are around 30 years old, most with masters degrees and bachelors.

It's just the army, they dont go through any intense training (I dont want to sound cocky, but its not as tough as the marines for sure).

Even USMC isnt much these days. USMC boot camp is about as tough as the army boot camp years ago. They have all gone much softer. It's because crybabies get hurt during boot camp, then sue the military. Kinda like the Navy used to have an obstacle course, and now it's "run from sign to sign, and do what the sign tells you" (10 pushups, 5 jumping jacks, etc).

Even USMC isnt much these days. USMC boot camp is about as tough as the army boot camp years ago. They have all gone much softer. It's because crybabies get hurt during boot camp, then sue the military. Kinda like the Navy used to have an obstacle course, and now it's "run from sign to sign, and do what the sign tells you" (10 pushups, 5 jumping jacks, etc).
    I wish. It's no where that easy and I dont think it will ever be. I probably did hundreds of sit ups and pushups a day, and hiked countless miles at 4 in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by wunderwaffe
    I wish. It's no where that easy and I dont think it will ever be. I probably did hundreds of sit ups and pushups a day, and hiked countless miles at 4 in the morning
    Well of course the Marines boot camp would not be near that easy, but it's also not near as hard as it once was. Put it this way, the Marine girlie scout campground (as we called it) is easy compared to the boot camp I went thru. Sad thing is, no matter how tough they want you to be, or how mean they make you be..... you wont be in much longer after you beat the hell out of your CO

....not that I had much of a future in that anyway. These days I'm glad I got myself kicked out. But I do miss being in such a great shape as I was then.

(sorry about the girlie scout thing... wait, no I'm not - You know what group calls you that, we're all )

Well of course the Marines boot camp would not be near that easy, but it's also not near as hard as it once was. Put it this way, the Marine girlie scout campground (as we called it) is easy compared to the boot camp I went thru. Sad thing is, no matter how tough they want you to be, or how mean they make you be..... you wont be in much longer after you beat the hell out of your CO

....not that I had much of a future in that anyway. These days I'm glad I got myself kicked out. But I do miss being in such a great shape as I was then.

(sorry about the girlie scout thing... wait, no I'm not - You know what group calls you that, we're all )
    I always get a kick when I hear or read people talking like this. Listen to some guy that went in back when and they swear it was harder.... then you ask, when the last time they went through basic... lol... whatever.

Beat up your CO? Hope you got at least a dishonorable discharge. Anything else would just cheapen my honorable discharge....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Everybody in the Military starts out young. (And yes, even 36 is young... (to some of us anyway). Men and women have been dying for our freedom for a good many years and in a good many wars. Dissing anyone for their training, bootcamp, expertise or ANYthing is just dumb. We owe our lives and freedom to those who protect it, and we thank you very much!
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Don't see anything odd about that, cut off age at 20? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I always get a kick when I hear or read people talking like this. Listen to some guy that went in back when and they swear it was harder.... then you ask, when the last time they went through basic... lol... whatever.

Beat up your CO? Hope you got at least a dishonorable discharge. Anything else would just cheapen my honorable discharge....
    After a week of working hard all day and doing watch all night, I broke. That tends to happen when you dont sleep a wink for a whole week over really stupid stuff. No, my discharge wasnt dishonorable. It went to court. I won and was offered honorable, or to remain in. At this point I had lost my faith in the military, so I left.

I will also ad.... given the particular training I was in, I know that CO could have beat me to a pulp, I dont know why he didnt.

You have to be kidding me, you assaulted a commissioned officer? I don't care how tired you were or how hardcore your boot camp supposedly was. Tell us, which hardcore back breaking boot camp did you attend?

You were court martialed and subsequently seperated. Stop bad mouthing my military and find something better to do.

To answer your original question, no one is desperate. Less than 30% of the eligible population is fully qualified to serve and we are at war. I don't expect you to understand the dynamics of it since you can't even stay up a full night without breaking down.

Oh I am certainly not bad mouthing the military. I only lost faith in it for a little bit. It's only one particular person that I bad mouth.

First boot camp was the Navy boot camp in Orlando, which was on the same base as the Nuclear Training Facility. I think it's since been shut down. This boot camp was extremely easy. During my time there, after getting in trouble and passing the full motivational tour, I was recruited to another branch of the Navy, this boot camp was extremely tough. However, I did a number of things you would say cant be done... like getting legally married by the Captain of the base while in the boot camp. She was 7 months pregnant when she showed up on the front door steps of the training center. Suddenly I am stuck in a power pull between my CO and higher ranking officer (but not over him, but yes over me of course). So of course I do what the highest authority tells me to do even if I didnt like it.... hence the week of no sleep to make an example out of me by the CO. Keep in mind, I didnt get rough first. I walked away to go do what I was told to do, he got rough with me, I got rough back. Nobody was really hurt. He went to have me kicked out, a couple of lawyers got involved, and it all went from there.

If I had the opportunity to do it all again, I would do it again without making certain decisions that I did. For one, avoiding the situation of a pregnant girlfriend showing up, and pretty much being forced to marry her (that "or else" was actually unspoken, but hinted quite well), then having a conflict of authority because of it, etc, etc. It was the situation that made it bad, not the military. The conflict was a result of me and that CO, who both thought we were doing the right thing, being stressed out because of the situation.

While I think that CO could have been a bit more understanding of the situation I was in with having to abide by what I was told to do, I will just leave it at that. In that training camp, you arent supposed to have emotions no matter what, and I did because I had a new wife right across the fence about to have a baby, and I couldnt see her except for a few minutes of "Do you take him, do you take her", etc, etc. I was exhausted, and both physically and mentally stressed beyond limits.

I went to Great Lakes and they would have just given you an admin sep if that had happened there.

It really seemed like you were just trying to stir the pot by posting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    I went to Great Lakes and they would have just given you an admin sep if that had happened there.

It really seemed like you were just trying to stir the pot by posting this thread.
    Thats very similar to what happened. The lawyers got involved to stop me from getting kicked out, except that at that point, I wanted out. I have a discharge on my record, though it's not a bad one. I didnt "intend" to stir the pot here though. I respect the men and women out there fighting, and wish I could be there. I didnt intend for my post to look negative on them..

Had I know the age went up, I would have gone back in a few years ago..lol

Quote Originally Posted by wunderwaffe
    I am in the USMC right now, I've been through scout sniper school and I am thinking about going out for recon. Alot of the people I know in recon are around 30 years old, most with masters degrees and bachelors.

It's just the army, they dont go through any intense training (I dont want to sound cocky, but its not as tough as the marines for sure).
    Marines make me laugh. How can they say that they are an elite group when the attrition rate during basic traning hovers around 12% which is roughly the same as the army's basic traing rate.

In my oppinion the true elites are the Army rangers with an attrition rate of 50% and the Army's special forces program with an attrition rate of 80+%.

Translation? 88% of the people who visit the Marine recruiters office and say they want to be Marines become Marines. Thats roughly the same as the regular Army. On the other hand only 50% of the people who visit the Army recruiting office and say that they want to be Rangers actually become Rangers. Even less if they want to be Green Berets.

M2cents

Quote Originally Posted by jjp-hp
    Marines make me laugh. How can they say that they are an elite group when the attrition rate during basic traning hovers around 12% which is roughly the same as the army's basic traing rate.

In my oppinion the true elites are the Army rangers with an attrition rate of 50% and the Army's special forces program with an attrition rate of 80+%.

Translation? 88% of the people who visit the Marine recruiters office and say they want to be Marines become Marines. Thats roughly the same as the regular Army. On the other hand only 50% of the people who visit the Army recruiting office and say that they want to be Rangers actually become Rangers. Even less if they want to be Green Berets.

M2cents
    I wouldnt laugh at any soldier who's doing his job, unless he is cracking a joke.... like .... to the usual march tune ...

Left two three and a quarter
    I got a date with the Admiral's daughter
    Admiral Admiral that old sucker
    He doesnt know that I'm gonna ...

Left two three fower, etc, etc

I remember some of our kewl marches. Like the double to the rear pause half-step march.
    Last edited by Webdude; 11-11-2006 at 02:23 PM.

M2cents
    USMC is better at screening candidates for success, that's why. Someone who wouldn't cut it in basic is less likely to be sent in the first place than in the other branches.

USMC is better at screening candidates for success, that's why. Someone who wouldn't cut it in basic is less likely to be sent in the first place than in the other branches.

Now that's funny. Marine recruiters are just like their Army, Navy, and Air Force counterparts. They are under pressure to produce numbers. Short of being a complete retard and missing one leg you'll get in the Marine Corps, just sign on the dotted lines.

I'm not trying to knock on anybody here. Just stating the facts. Marines don't win more Medal of Honors than the Army does. It's not even proportionate.

In the battle of Fallujah the Marines are credited with taking over the city. Question: Did they do it all by themselves or did they get help from a couple of battlions of Army soldiers?

Recruiters can only work around the rules set by their branch. Regardless of what they want they can only get recuits in who meet certain physical and legal standards. I've observed the recruiting processes at MEPS and can guarantee you that USMC is more strict than other branches.

The Army and the Navy have the most CMH's. Why? Because they're the two largest branches, both of which are significantly larger than USMC. Your rationale does not work.

Recruiters can only work around the rules set by their branch. Regardless of what they want they can only get recuits in who meet certain physical and legal standards. I've observed the recruiting processes at MEPS and can guarantee you that USMC is more strict than other branches.

The Army and the Navy have the most CMH's. Why? Because they're the two largest branches, both of which are significantly larger than USMC. Your rationale does not work.

Ooops, wrong again. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines all take the same ASVAB test and physical exams at the MEPS station. I know your recruiter told you that they only take the "few" special ones, but I'm sorry to tell you, all you did was sign on the dotted lines under the heading "Marines".

As far as the CMH, I did note that it was not even proportional. I am aware of the Marines smaller size but it's not that small.

If they rejected him, you'd be complaining about that too.

The Marine washout rate is probably low because of the type of individual that branch attracts in the first place. I'm sure if you took the general populace of air force recruits and put them in Marine boot camp the washout rate would at least double, if not more.

I've always been under the impression that as a force, a greater percentage of Marines are put directly in harm's way than any other force. I also am working on the assumption that per capita, more Marines have been killed. Is this incorrect?

I have been in the Air National Guard (Air Force) since 1991. Having worked with all the branches at different times, I have come to respect each of them. Early in my career I held stereotypes about the other forces, but through firsthand experience these have gone away. I think a lot of this stuff is generated by each force to build camaraderie. Whatever works.

Ooops, wrong again. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines all take the same ASVAB test and physical exams at the MEPS station. I know your recruiter told you that they only take the "few" special ones, but I'm sorry to tell you, all you did was sign on the dotted lines under the heading "Marines".

As far as the CMH, I did note that it was not even proportional. I am aware of the Marines smaller size but it's not that small.
    I'm not a Marine.

im suprised too

i thought the age limit was much lower.

but i think that it is wiser to have older people!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

You can join when you're 17 and you have to quit when you're 49. That's for non-commissioned personnel I believe.

We have some folks well over 49 here. Are you talking about Australia?

No, I think US is the same.

I meant that you can't fight when you're past 49. I think only Officers can remain active after that age.