Advantages/Disadvantages of Virtual Dedicated Server?

I work for a marketing company and we are thinking about switching to a dedicated server because of all the email problems we have been having. (There has been a LOT of downtime with our email using Host Department).

However, I realize that a dedicated server can require a lot of management/upkeep.. What about a virtual dedicated server? Would this improve our email issues at all?

advantages: full root access with less price
    disavantages: more server saturation, less network speed, is a good choice if you dont need a full dedicated server
    but an vps requires the same management than a dedicaded server

The same management as a dedicated server?

I don't understand what needs to be done in order to keep the server running smoothly... Is it something that requires a lot of technical knowledge and expertise? I'm a quick learner, but I don't want to get in over my head..

you can choice an vps whith cpanel control panel, with cpanel you can keep the server running with minimal technical knowledge.
    but a good choice is a semi managed dedicated server or vps (full managed is the best choice)

Ok, well the one that I have been looking at is Rack Force (www.rackforce.com) and it looks like they do offer cPanel and/or Plesk (not sure what that is).

so - I can use cPanel to set up domains, email accounts, forums etc? But what if there is a problem with the email server? can I troubleshoot this in cPanel?

what about spry.com? Know anything about them? I have read lots of good reviews about spry. Rack Force had some really good reviews and a few really bad reviews..

I don't know that company sorry
    I can't help you
    I worked with rapidvps.com they have very good prices,and 99,9%uptime (when i was worked with them)