Experience with BTN PCCW Global

WHT,

What have been your experiences with BTN/PCCW. Has it been good or bad?

My experience is only from the sales side as a reseller and they have been one of our best vendors in getting orders provisioned and turned up in a timely manner. I am more interested to see what people think of the network performance.

In Chicago they have been great.

I was with them in Ashburn in 2003 (When they were first known as PCCWBTN, right after PCCW bought them). Support was great, 24/7....had perfect uptime for the time I was with them. That was when they had Sprint transit there and I loved the ping times. Back then tho they only had Ashburn and San Jose with good peering so If you wanted Chicago you would have to bring in other bandwidth.

I see now they have a bunch of locations with good peering and with my past experience I'd see no reason not to go with them.

I agree with all of the above - PCCW bandwidth has worked great for us. I don't think we've ever had an issue with network performance.. and that's even with GAMER clients.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

We have been using PCCW/BTN for two years, as well as reselling it
    Did deals for two 10 gig and 7 gigE ports last month in fact.
    They have really improved their peering and are always upgrading their hardware. Support is good, and their price cant be beat... in the few locations that they have available.

From a network usage perspective -- we have been using it extensively for video streaming. We will be doing two large events on their network this weekend which will probably total 9 gbps between them. I am confident it will go smoothly.

How is their pricing?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Depends on quantity of course, ranges from $35 for 50 mbps to $15/mbps for 100 megs minimum on a Gige

Available in limited locations -- select Equinix datacenters, Telx, 1 Wilshire, etc

2 thumbs up.

been using them for 3 years.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

I'm a big fan, one of the easiest carriers to deal with and they're nearing Tier 1 status. A great value.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nugent
    Depends on quantity of course, ranges from $35 for 50 mbps to $15/mbps for 100 megs minimum on a Gige

Available in limited locations -- select Equinix datacenters, Telx, 1 Wilshire, etc
    I am guessing that the guys you did the big deals with last month, ""Did deals for two 10 gig and 7 gigE ports last month in fact." will sell it for under the prices you mentioned above.

Please share with us the companies you did the big deals with. Hopefully your NDA's are not so bla-bla-bla that you can not even speak a Companies name.
    Last edited by music; 11-09-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Please share with us the companies you did the big deals with. Hopefully your NDA's are not so bla-bla-bla that you can not even speak a Companies name.
    I'm just curious why it matters?

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    I'm just curious why it matters?
    So all the glowing posts can be verified?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Nice people to deal with
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by music
    I am guessing that the guys you did the big deals with last month, ""Did deals for two 10 gig and 7 gigE ports last month in fact." will sell it for under the prices you mentioned above.

I don't take Dennis for a fool, and for him to reveal the identities of said customers in public would be foolish at best. And you knew that before you asked. While I don't support Dennis's superfluous gloating about the deals he claims to have signed, your practice of badgering people on WHT serves no useful purpose either. You seem to have a habit of it, and on behalf of all reasonable and mature folks on WHT, I ask that you stop.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Quote Originally Posted by tical
    I don't take Dennis for a fool, and for him to reveal the identities of said customers in public would be foolish at best. And you knew that before you asked. While I don't support Dennis's superfluous gloating about the deals he claims to have signed, your practice of badgering people on WHT serves no useful purpose either. You seem to have a habit of it, and on behalf of all reasonable and mature folks on WHT, I ask that you stop.
    Finally someone is man enough to say it.

A thousand apologies if I offended you and the other mature folks on WHT .

I also respect Dennis and find most of has comments very informative. But if he is willing to talk about some of his past deals in a public forum I see nothing wrong with asking him to who it is. If you want to label it badgering so be it.

Which one will you choose, PCCW/BTN or nLayer or Mzima? And why ...
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Which one will you choose, PCCW/BTN or nLayer or Mzima? And why ...
    Mzima isn't really in the same ballpark as the others, they are more of a premium blend (ATT+Savvis+Level(3)+route optimization) and as such more expensive.

As far as BTN vs nLayer, that just comes down to where they are available. For example, nLayer does not have a POP here in Seattle whereas BTN does, so, easy decision. I've spoken to the nLayer owner a few times however and he certainly knows his stuff.

You really can't go wrong with any of those three choices, it just comes down to what sort of connectivity you are looking for.
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

As far as I know, Mzima does not do route optimization.

PCCWBTN Access did great, our server was using this on year 2004 for a year.
    ||| JFOC Network Solution - Affordable Web Hosting
    ||| Web Site: http://www.jfoc.net
    ||| Retelling Story - Share Your Story, anything
    ||| Web Site: http://www.rtstory.com

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    As far as I know, Mzima does not do route optimization.
    Then your information is incorrect . They actually have custom route-optimization software that they built in house. From their HR page:

Quote Originally Posted by mzima.net
    Position: Software Developer
    Description: Mzima develops its own proprietary route-analysis software. This involves a highly specialized set of skills, including BGP, source-based routing, route table analysis, Perl, MySQL, C++, etc. The system has a highly optimized back-end and a Java front-end. If you are interested in joining our development team, please send a note about your specific areas of expertise and we will forward you information on to our development lead.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!