Migrating to a cPanel/WHM web server

Our company has a web server that is setup so that to create a new section on the site for a department, a admin manually goes in now and adds a folder and makes a new user:group for that folder. This system worked fine (sort of) till we got a web team that now has to access all of these different folders to edit files. I spend half of my day changing ownership of files to me, then back to the original owner again. We would like to move to a cPanel/WHM setup so that account creation, dns entries, database creation, and stats can all be viewed/controlled through a web interface. This would take some of the daily responsibilities out of the admins hands and give it to the web team. Two questions:

1. Is it feasible to think that we can move all of this into a cPanel/WHM controlled setup?

2. Are there companies that will set up a secure web server for you, because I doubt we have the expertise in house. Our people know RedHat/Oracle, but the web server is something that has been pieced together over the years by different people who knew a little about Apache/MySQL.

You could use Cpanel/WHM to create this but the only problem would be that you would need to give each departmental account a different domain name. However, I think you could do this by using a subdomain for each department but am unsure whether Cpanel allows subdomains to create user accounts...something definitely worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by deltrumweb
    You could use Cpanel/WHM to create this but the only problem would be that you would need to give each departmental account a different domain name. However, I think you could do this by using a subdomain for each department but am unsure whether Cpanel allows subdomains to create user accounts...something definitely worth considering
    You can just add FTP accounts for the different departments / users that give them access to that departments area of the site. They wouldn't have cPanel access but they would have access to the files in that folder.

1. Is it feasible to think that we can move all of this into a cPanel/WHM controlled setup?
    If you get a dedicated server, you can migrate your files and settings to it as long as they are standard. .htaccess files and other standard apache settings won't cause any problems with cPanel.

2. Are there companies that will set up a secure web server for you, because I doubt we have the expertise in house. Our people know RedHat/Oracle, but the web server is something that has been pieced together over the years by different people who knew a little about Apache/MySQL.
    Usually a managed dedicated server comes with setup and some support.
    -Dave Koston
    Koston Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDark
    You can just add FTP accounts for the different departments / users that give them access to that departments area of the site. They wouldn't have cPanel access but they would have access to the files in that folder.

If you get a dedicated server, you can migrate your files and settings to it as long as they are standard. .htaccess files and other standard apache settings won't cause any problems with cPanel.

Usually a managed dedicated server comes with setup and some support.
    Thanks for the replies. We don't need dept's to have their own cPanel, just our dept for creating new accounts, users, databases, etc. Basically, we need an interface for day-to-day web server administration instead of working through the shell. We have the backbone in house, as well as, a little under 200 servers.