Question Windows 2003 Server Web Editon Vs Standard Edition

I want buy a new server windows based
    but i can't understand about the difference from the standard and the web edition
    i want use on that server Plesk 7.6.1

Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
    or
    Windows 2003 Server Web Editon

Thanks in advance

It depends on what you want to use the server for. Most of your questions should be answered here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...efeatures.mspx

i want use only for sell webhosting using plesk... and i dont know if its enough the Web Editon...... i couldn't undertand from the link provided....
    Thanks

Standard will be better then Web Edition

Quote Originally Posted by serverx
    i want use only for sell webhosting using plesk... and i dont know if its enough the Web Editon...... i couldn't undertand from the link provided....
    Thanks

If its only for webhosting with Plesk, then you will be fine with Windows 2003 Web Edition.
    Dedicated Servers. Resellers Welcome.
    www.dediwebhost.com

I will go for standard edition and I see most of the host use standard edition rather than web edition. There are lot of feature which are very essential for hosting industries which is absence on the part of web edition.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

The main issues you may want to consider for hosting are:-

You can't install SQL Server on Web Edition. Note that the 'SQL Server' that Plesk bundles with isn't actually SQL Server but MSDE. MS Licensing forbids the use of MSDE to provide commercial database hosting. Most peopld using Plesk are unaware of this as they assume it must be OK if it is provided with plesk.

Web Edition doesn't have Windows Media Streaming capability.

Web Edition only allows for one VPN server. Not a direct hosting issue but could be a consideration if you want to link servers via VPN for file transfers or backups.

There are a few other things such as Maximum RAM that can be used etc, but the main considerations are those above.
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

The difference is $8/month/license of what your (or your provider) pays.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Also Web Edition doesn't support more then 2GB RAM and 2 CPU's.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb-is
    The main issues you may want to consider for hosting are:-

You can't install SQL Server on Web Edition. Note that the 'SQL Server' that Plesk bundles with isn't actually SQL Server but MSDE. MS Licensing forbids the use of MSDE to provide commercial database hosting. Most peopld using Plesk are unaware of this as they assume it must be OK if it is provided with plesk.

Web Edition doesn't have Windows Media Streaming capability.

Web Edition only allows for one VPN server. Not a direct hosting issue but could be a consideration if you want to link servers via VPN for file transfers or backups.

There are a few other things such as Maximum RAM that can be used etc, but the main considerations are those above.

Whats the big differnce with ms sql express and supposely ms sql. well for one i understand that express is a light version, but wouldn't express be fine with database not huge and doesn't require much resource especially 2005 express.
    No, i am not the guy from the simpson's, what's his name again?

express has a file limitation of 2GB per db (not sure if they raised the bar in latest version).
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister
    express has a file limitation of 2GB per db (not sure if they raised the bar in latest version).

is that the only limitation? Does this mean express is fine for database small size and will or should run smooth in terms of performance express 2005 looks promising.
    No, i am not the guy from the simpson's, what's his name again?