• Public access

1 20.00%
  • Limited access

3 60.00%
  • Access after registration

1 20.00%

Public access or not

Hi,

I am currently evaluating whether CityPics should allow public access to its high resolution photos or not. Initially when CityPics started its photos were available to the public without any prior registration.

Shortly afterwards I have read several times the suggestion to make it registration-only to give people an incentive to register and so I eventually switched to the current system. Of course some people opted for public access too and gave other arguments. At the end I'd prefer public access too, but I am worrying that CityPics would become a little loader paradise without getting anything in return. A third alternative which was suggested recently was to offer limited access, a couple of photos would be accessible, while most of the others would still require registration.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this matter (please vote too). Would public access be a better incentive for registration and participation? Is mandatory registration a good way to increase the number of users? Would public access only attract more loaders without any real increase of members?

Thanks!
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Would public access only attract more loaders without any real increase of members?
    I think, it will be like that.
    I'd suggest to allow loading only low resolution photoes for non-users (or you may let them load limited quantity of high quality pictures). This way you'll interest them in registering on your site. If you let them feel that registered users have more permissions and posiibillities than just guests, they'll more probably register.
    FastNext - shared, reseller, clustered hosting, VPS, dedicated servers.

Free DNS Stuff - IP tools, DNS checking tools, ping, tracerout etc.

Do whatever you need to do in order for your site to sustain itself. If keeping it open means you don't get enough in return for your service, then you run hte risk of putting yourself out of business, and that's no good for anyone, registered users, the public or you!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by FastNext
    I think, it will be like that.
    Thats what I am worrying about.

I'd suggest to allow loading only low resolution photoes for non-users
    As it is now? Or larger thumbnails? In the latter case I'd need an additional data file per picture (currently two, the thumbnail and the high resolution photo) to have the medium-size.

(or you may let them load limited quantity of high quality pictures).
    Thats exactly what I meant by limited access. Still only thumbnails for unregistered users but in addition a certain number of nonetheless freely available files.

This way you'll interest them in registering on your site. If you let them feel that registered users have more permissions and posiibillities than just guests, they'll more probably register.
    Maybe its not clearly enough put on the site, but the registration page already mentions these.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Do whatever you need to do in order for your site to sustain itself. If keeping it open means you don't get enough in return for your service, then you run hte risk of putting yourself out of business, and that's no good for anyone, registered users, the public or you!
    Ehm, yes, but thats what I am asking here. What would the "majority" suggest?

Well, without knowing your expenditures, your usage, income streams and amounts, there's really no way to make a helpful suggestion, if one were to pursue my line of thinking

If you can't afford to keep it completely public, don't. If you can afford to keep it public, do. That's my suggestion.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Well, without knowing your expenditures, your usage, income streams and amounts, there's really no way to make a helpful suggestion, if one were to pursue my line of thinking
    For the moment I am not trying to make money off the site.

If you can't afford to keep it completely public, don't. If you can afford to keep it public, do. That's my suggestion.
    I can, but would it be a wise decision, in terms of content, sign ups, ...... ?

Thanks.

I had my site private for a while till it reached 25K registered users.. Now instead of 50 new users per day, I only get 10-15 but I am looking at the bigger picture. I overload and make my non registered users see banners and adsense wherever they look.. so think about that...

-non registered users get a lot of banners and adsense

-registered users get less banners

-premium members that pay something per month or year, get almost no ads

Thanks nikos. Although I am currently not planning a premium service I will keep your suggestions in mind as I like them

Would appreciate other comments too.

Limited access, if they like the content you show and want more they'll have to register.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJihad
    Limited access, if they like the content you show and want more they'll have to register.
    Thanks.

Would be glad about further opinions too.