Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Host Needed Urgently

Hi all,

Our curent host has just cancelled our subscription (as of December) as we are on a shared server and with the amount of traffic we have it's causing them huge problems.

I understand why they've had to do it but now we desperately need a new host.

We use about 4GB disk space including databases though we can probably reduce this if necessary.

Bandwidth-wise we use somewhere between 50GB and 100GB a month and we've very occassionally gone over this.

We have approximately 3 million page views a month.

Cost wise, we're pretty desperate so I can't be too picky about the price but if someone can suggest how much they think we should be paying it'd be great.

The problem is the huge database load that we're creating through MySQL which continually crashes due to too many connections on our current host.

Does anyone have any host suggestions?

I have no experience with admining servers so I assume we need a managed server with everything set up and ready to go?

Any help or advise would be superb.

Thanks.

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your problems,

Looks like you need a managed dedicated server that would suit your site specifically, I think from what you were saying you would be looking at atleast $500 a month depending on a few details.

Your disk space and bandwidth is no problem, but that many visitors with large database, you want a good server to handle it.

If i can help in anyway just add me to msn or reply here.
    Last edited by DATARTIM; 11-09-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Thanks for the reply.

Could you explain where you get the $500 figure from as that'd be extremely useful.

I'm currently looking at steadfast.net and the following:

Athlon64 3500+
    2.2Ghz 512KB Cache Athlon64
    250 GB SATA II Hard Drive
    1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Silver Management
    Remote Reboot Port
    Availability: In Stock
    1200GB Bandwidth (100 Mbit/sec port)
    - $149.95 per month | $49.95 Setup

Could you explain why the above wouldn't be suitable.

Thanks

Silver management is not Fully Managed ! If you are not confident to undertake updates etc...then get the Gold Package add-on for $75 per month.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing, which puts it around the $250 mark once you have red hat installed.

That's still very far away from $500 though...

If you were going for that, make sure that the RAM is 2GB RAM at least and another drive in place. Either separate /var from the main drive or you put it on RAID-1. I believe they've got offsite backup for you to use on, backup your data to remote location.

DedicatedPlace.com also seem to have fully managed packages for between $100 and $150 a month fully managed.

Their enterprise level servers are "Advanced Level Server Plans excellent for Web Hosting Business, Busy Websites that needs at least Dual CPU Power. Prices ranging from $199 a month Dual Xeon 2.8"

Sorry Rob, I will explain :

Your site has 3 million views a month and a "huge" mysql database , so you should aim for at least a Dual Core Opteron if not a quad core and around 4gb Ram + you want raid1,which in total is going to cost around $400 so + $100 managed fee $500.

I mean you could get a lower end server and try it for 1 month and upgrade if you need to, It would also help to know what the mysql database is for and how/why its accessed.

Hope that helps.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

If you read their forum, they look to have been having a few problems with the Databank DC ???

Although this was in Oct, they also had probs in Aug so ask a pre-sale question and see what they say...

I am in the market for a dedicated as well...and like the look of their $80 option...

Also , how huge is huge ???

I have a couple of large databases (200mb) and they are running on one of my reseller accounts !

Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    Sorry Rob, I will explain :

Your site has 3 million views a month and a "huge" mysql database , so you should aim for at least a Dual Core Opteron if not a quad core and around 4gb Ram + you want raid1,which in total is going to cost around $400 so + $100 managed fee $500.

I mean you could get a lower end server and try it for 1 month and upgrade if you need to, It would also help to know what the mysql database is for and how/why its accessed.

Hope that helps.
    Sorry, I think I might have given slightly the wrong impression.

Compared to a lot of sites I've been reading about on here the database isn't huge in any way.

We have a 100MB-150MB MySQL database and we're running a fairly busy CMS and Forums. For the CMS we're using we have one of the busier sites I believe but the database size is nothing compared to some of the vbulletin database I've seen mentioned in previous posts on here.

We do get an average of 100,000 page views a day (3 million a month) and a large amount of this is through our forums (over 50%).

We've been on shared hosting for the past 2 years and have been more or less ok but during peak periods we crash due to the high MySQL load (as you'd expect on a shared server) or run out of MySQL connections.

I really appreciate the response yoy guys have managed so far, hopefully I'll be able to sort something with a little bit more advice.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RobParker
    Sorry, I think I might have given slightly the wrong impression.

Compared to a lot of sites I've been reading about on here the database isn't huge in any way.

We have a 100MB-150MB MySQL database and we're running a fairly busy CMS and Forums. For the CMS we're using we have one of the busier sites I believe but the database size is nothing compared to some of the vbulletin database I've seen mentioned in previous posts on here.

We do get an average of 100,000 page views a day (3 million a month) and a large amount of this is through our forums (over 50%).

We've been on shared hosting for the past 2 years and have been more or less ok but during peak periods we crash due to the high MySQL load (as you'd expect on a shared server) or run out of MySQL connections.

I really appreciate the response yoy guys have managed so far, hopefully I'll be able to sort something with a little bit more advice.

Ah thats not what i call huge

Well you would be ok on a low end server , but if you want proper management (not dedicatedplace's part management) you should be looking at around $250 for a good server with 2gb ram and raid1 etc.

You can look in the offers and requests section , thats the place where companies are allowed to post their offers
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

A dedicated single CPU server with 512mb ram will meet your needs at the minute. I would go for the fully managed option though.

No it wouldn't a single cpu perhaps, but if you are getting 100,000 users a day a dual core would perhaps be better, and definetly not 512mb ram, that would not run a small - midsized site/forum with that many visitors, 1gb would , 2gb to be safe.

Full Management will cost from around $75 extra, so if you see a price subtract at least $50 from it and thats the servers price

So say someone is advertising a dedicated for $80 managed, Subtract $50 , so the server is worth $30 ??
    Or in reality the server is worth $59 and the rest is markup , no charge for management = its not fully managed as you can see from their site.

Good Luck in your hunt
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I run an IPB forum on a reseller account....It has over 4k members and the db is approx. 200gb. The bandwidth per month is approx. 120gb.

So if I were to have the whole server dedicated to it then it would not be a problem. The server it runs on is shared. Specs are P4 2.8ghz with 1ghz of RAM.

I think a single cpu would be fine for what the OP requires if cost is a major factor at the present time.

Thanks to both of you.

The following looks pretty good unless I'm missing something:

From Servstra:

Processor: AMD Single CPU Dual Core Athlon 3800
    RAM: 2GB
    Hard Drive: 250GB SATA
    Bandwidth: 1500GB
    Port: 10Mbps
    Control Panel: Cpanel/WHM with Fantastico & RVSkins included!
    Monthly Fee: $154.95
    Offer Expires: 15th November 2006

That's apparently fully managed and they seem to offer quite cheap proactive monitoriong as well which may be useful on our MySQL and HTTP services.

Ya, there is absolutly no way anybody can do server management included for $80/mo. That kind of management would be like Hivelocity at times where they tell you to do this and it will be ok.

Considering the heavy mysql usage, I would recommand a dual processor if you can afford one, with atleast 2GB RAM, and decent network to maintain the high uptime and availablity.
    :: TIMESWAY NETWORK :: Reliable . Powerful . Hosting ::
    :: At Timesway, Top Quality and Top Reliability won't cost you Top Dollar.
    :: Celebrating our 7th Anniversary : Check our Special Offers on Dedicated Servers!

Quote Originally Posted by TIMESWAY
    Considering the heavy mysql usage, I would recommand a dual processor if you can afford one, with atleast 2GB RAM, and decent network to maintain the high uptime and availablity.
    Please excuse my ignorance for a minute.

Dual processor is different to dual core, right?

For example, the following AMD Single CPU Dual Core Athlon 3800 is a single processor? What sort of CPU should I be looking at?

Yes, dual processor is different from dual core.

Dual Processor = 2 Processors in server
    Dual Core single processor = 1 processor which has 2 cores in it.

Considering your heavy mysql usage, i would recommand that you go with Dual Intel Xeon processors (nothin wrong with AMD but never been much fan of them), with 2GB RAM, and depending on your disk read/write chose between SATA & SCSI harddrives.

Also get someone to optimize the mysql and apache webserver specially tweaked to your needs to get the best out of the server in terms of performance and uptime availablity.
    :: Celebrating our 7th Anniversary : Check our Special Offers on Dedicated Servers!

By Dual Processor, you would be looking at Dual Opteron/Dual Xeons.....Dual Core is a single CPU with two cores....

Thanks.

In that case the following is looking good:

Processor Dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz with HyperThreading
    Hard Drive 2 x 120GB SATA
    RAM 2GB
    Bandwidth 2000GB
    IP Addresses 5 usable IPs
    Port Speed 10Mbps
    Server Management Full server management is included
    Setup Fee FREE
    Monthly Fee $199.95

Yep that will be a good deal.

Next step is to see their support, network (bandwidth provider), and uptime, and what exactly is included in full management?

Yes, looks good....As timesway has already said, check their support and ask any queries on their forum (If they have one)

That would suit you , one thing is see if they will upgrade the port speed from 10mb to 100mb , shouldn't cost more than $30. That will allow for up to 100mb's of data being transferred simultaneously rather than 10mbs, very useful if you have as many visitors as you do.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Every Servstra dedicated server includes 10GB of offsite backup space for free!
    There must be some catch...it seems too cheap !!!!

No remote reboot port ! That means you will have to wait for support to reboot for you probably aftering waiting hours for a ticket to be answered !

Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    That would suit you , one thing is see if they will upgrade the port speed from 10mb to 100mb , shouldn't cost more than $30. That will allow for up to 100mb's of data being transferred simultaneously rather than 10mbs, very useful if you have as many visitors as you do.
    For $15 they'll upgrade it to 100mb.

I'm contacting them now to ask a few questions and outline our requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by deltrumweb
    No remote reboot port ! That means you will have to wait for support to reboot for you probably aftering waiting hours for a ticket to be answered !
    Is that not covered by the following:

For a small monthly fee, Servstra can pro-actively montior your server and if a particular service fails (such as Apache), we can automatically login and restart the service or reboot your server.
    We can monitor the following services:
    HTTP
    HTTPS
    IMAP
    MySQL
    POP3
    PING
    SSH
    FTP
    Cpanel
    3 pack - monitor 3 services - $9.95 per month
    6 pack - monitor 6 services - $14.95 per month

I'd happily pay an extra $10 to have MySQL monitored automatically.

Yes, the pro-active package would cover that....Just depends how responsive they are when it needs rebooting....

Also, do a search for servstra in the dedicated offers forum. They may offer discounts/goodies for WHT members

Quote Originally Posted by deltrumweb
    Yes, the pro-active package would cover that....Just depends how responsive they are when it needs rebooting....

Also, do a search for servstra in the dedicated offers forum. They may offer discounts/goodies for WHT members
    That's where I found them

The offer they're doing is a bit under-specced for what it looks like I need but they seem very good from their website.

Well That should come under "managed" , go for the 100mb port, Always a good idea to talk to them and ask them questions, See if they have a money back grace period, its not likely they will, but worth asking.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Just noticed one thing though.

They haven't mentioned anywhere about their physical location other than the post office box.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMESWAY
    Just noticed one thing though.

They haven't mentioned anywhere about their physical location other than the post office box.
    Data Center Details
    All of Servstraís servers are available in two different data centers! Both data centerís come with a 99.9% network SLA. When ordering, you get the choice of having your server put in either the Savvis DC or the DataBank DC.
    SAVVIS DC
    Bandwidth: Multiple connections to Savvis backbone
    Test IP: 72.36.238.110

DATABANK DC
    Bandwidth: BGP4 setup to Level 3, TimeWarner, Sprint, Savvis & Broadwing
    Test IP: 72.232.186.131

The majority of our users are from the UK bu we've always used a US host before so I hadn't really considered the location as being an issue...

I have a VPS in UK....very fast speeds for me but a lot more expensive !

That is the datacenter information, not the company information on which i had expressed the concerns. Basically their office's real physical address.

Mailing Address

PO Box 1123
    Port Melbourne, Victoria
    AUSTRALIA 3207

PO Box 3741
    Olympic Valley, California
    USA 96146

hmmmmmmmmmmm.......I see what you mean !

There's been an interesting developement.

One of the other main forum sites related to our topic has proposed that we share their server.

The server specs once upgraded would be:

Dual Opteron 265-2 (Dual Core)
    2 x 1.8 GHz processors
    2GB Memory
    2 x 160GB SATA Drives
    2000 GB Bandwidth

Would a server with these type of specs have any problem running two highly MySQL intensive websites? Would it definitely have no problem or is there the possibility of issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast