Thread: LT or SL ?

LT or SL ?

Hi,

I am choosing a provider for a few dedicated servers, we are a hosting company and will also sell managed dedicated servers, we want plenty of room to grow and a very reliable network, but perhaps more of a personal touch, which is why we have discounted the planet (other reasons also).

Have you see LT's new "GridLayer" (Apart from that the name is surely infringing on softlayers Intellectual property") Whats your opinion on the better route ?

Thankyou.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

How does it infringe?

If the name "softlayer" does not infringe on "Microsoft", how do you deduct that "gridlayer" infringes on "softlayer"? Or, do you really believe that "Taco Bell" should sue "Del Taco" for copyright infringement? Should "Microsoft" sue "PeopleSoft"? Should "New York Post" also sue "New York Times"?

That really wasn't what i was interested in, But thanks for taking the time to type that post of utterly pointless references.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    That really wasn't what i was interested in, But thanks for taking the time to type that post of utterly pointless references.
    I am sorry. I thought you were expressing a legal opinion on intellectual property matters :-)

I think you will be much better off with GridLayer than with a dedicated server, but then I am biased - I am the guy who designed the software that GridLayer uses. I heard that they are setting up a WebEx live demo in the next couple of days - why don't you take a look...

OK, Well although i think Gridlayer looks and sounds good, its of no use to us as we will sell servers and require an actual dedicated server(s), although it will be perfect for single sites or some shared hosting companies..

We would order alot more servers than one as well, But thanks for your input.
    Was there a particular target audience for gridlayer ?

And on Intellectual property, The reason it could be an issue is that the word Layer is not used as a word describing a place or buisness , unlike soft (software) or Names like New York, Taco etc.I am not saying it is a problem, just that it is a similar name .
    Last edited by DATARTIM; 11-09-2006 at 05:16 AM.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I never had a server with LS but SL i have 2 and will get more. It's wery nice best hosting i ever had.

^^ Thats some reccomendation

Anybody out there have an opinion on which is better suite for us ?
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

although it will be perfect for single sites or some shared hosting companies
    It comes with WHM and root access I think, which makes me want to sign up now
    "So what? It's a first offense! Talk about Draconian."
    "I can't. I don't know what it means."

If you want a company which allows you to scale your servers and upgrade them quickly and easily I would choose SoftLayer.

The private network they offer gives you the scalability i think you might need.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Quote Originally Posted by bladex21
    I never had a server with LS but SL i have 2 and will get more. It's wery nice best hosting i ever had.
    So you have 2 with them and you have used them. OK! I am confused.

Its a bit broken English but it makes sense.

I never had a server with LS
    He means LT. Which im sure you could see that it was a simple mistake.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Have you see LT's new "GridLayer" (Apart from that the name is surely infringing on softlayers Intellectual property") Whats your opinion on the better route ?
    And on Intellectual property, The reason it could be an issue is that the word Layer is not used as a word describing a place or buisness , unlike soft (software) or Names like New York, Taco etc.I am not saying it is a problem, just that it is a similar name .
    Usually when a person says "apart from" they are pointing out something that is not a good thing, like infringing on SoftLayers intellectual property (which LT is not). In fact, if anything, put to your logic, SoftLayer would be infringing on LT's property as LT has been using "Layer's" to describe their different tiers of services for the past few years. But neither of those arguments really mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wacky_lokpo
    It comes with WHM and root access I think, which makes me want to sign up now
    I believe that GridLayer is basically a gigantic VPS node (I'm sure this is an over simplification), so you would get root access as well as be able to run any control panel you want.

Alex

If money isn't an issue I'd go with softlayer. In my experiences softlayer generally has a better network than layeredtech does.

No kidding! Check the outage forum and you know which one has more glitches lately.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJihad
    If money isn't an issue I'd go with softlayer. In my experiences softlayer generally had a better network than layeredtech does.

If you've got the money, definitely go for Softlayer..... I'm not sure if its the norm, or if I am just an unlucky guy, but to get hardware replacements or hard drive reformats is a nightmare with LT..... On one occasion it took LayeredTech 36 HOURS to replace a hard drive that had gone bad in one of my servers..... And today I have waited (and am still waiting) 9+ hours for a reformat on a server.... I put the ticket in at 6:31AM, and they have still yet to even lay a finger on my server.... As far as I'm concerned, the Savvis facility that LT operates out of has a very solid network, but I am currently looking for a new provider to replace my LT server, these wait times are simply unacceptable IMHO....
    -steve