Domain name transfer issue.

Hey all,

I got a little situation here, I have a customer that wants to re-do their website, the person who originally setup their website, set them up with a host which does the name registration and hosting, I managed to get the login for his control panel and I'm able to make payments/access files and everything.

Since the host is a POS, I have decided to switch hosts, since the host controls the domain name, I need to transfer the domain name to a registar, the domain name is locked.

He paid for 2 years with the host (2 years ago), and it has now expired. Supposly, the domain name registration expired as well, but the host still has control of it (because it's parked).

I made a support ticket with them, they say the domain is expired, and that I need to update the billing info so they can renew the domain name, no problem right?

Not quite, the software they are using is try to charge for another 2 years of hosting. When I attempt to change the host duration, it gives me 1 year, or 3 months, neither of which I can select because it throws an error. I'm not paying for 2 years of hosting when I am not going to use them, especially when they can't even make links on their website work (the login for the control panel does not work and gives a 404 and I had to manually figure out where they have the control panel)

So I add in the support ticket, that I simply want to renew the domain name, and suddenly their prompt responses get thrown out the window and now it seems as if they don't give a flying you know what.

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I screwed?

Do you have access to the domain control panel? Can you change the status to unlocked and the admin email address to one you control? Who is the underlying registrar?
    Signature Under Construction.

I'm sorry to say that's just about it. Unless the host in question somehow lets you
    renew it for at least 3 months or a year (as you say) or even unlocks it, there's not
    much you can really do.

You can try approaching their registrar partner. But if their registrar partner has no
    mechanism to transfer an expired domain name into another account until it's paid,
    then no dice.

Using legal strong arm tactics might not work either since the host no longer has
    any obligations to you or your customer except to renew it at their terms.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Do you have access to the domain control panel? Can you change the status to unlocked and the admin email address to one you control? Who is the underlying registrar?
    I am unable to unlock the domain name.

The host is "andhosting.com"

Well, your pretty much stuffed unless you can talk to the domain registrar directly.
    Signature Under Construction.

Its funny that this company has a "fastest growing September 2006" label on their page ;-)

I assume that it is just a question of time or money.

1) Either you wait until they drop the domain.
    2) Or you ask for a "buyout" to get your domain
    3) Or you pay for the hosting and domain. Then transfer the domain out and see if somebody else is willing to take over the hosting package.

I just wonder, because if the domain is really important I wouldnt have let it expired first place ;-)

Otherwise you may very well just wait until its dropped, which may however never be - in case its something like msn.com ;-)

From a quick online conversation I had with "amyas" from technical support seems like you can also extend just the domain. However he told me that you should contact sales for this.

So I guess I would extend the domain first of all ( I dont see any other choice). You can then transfer it later.

Thats just my 0.02$.
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-09-2006 at 03:53 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

It is an important name for him, it only expired because the guy who setup his site previously wasnt on top of things.

Not really the customers fault.

I'll figure something out, might go ahead and pay the ransom and get the domain name back.