Opteron 270 vs Xeon 2.8

I was wondering which would preform better i been told they rate different so im not sure. Would a Dual Core Opteron 270 or a Dual Core Xeon 2.8 be more powerful, or are they about the same in performance and power, 1 person told me the 270 be about the same or with more power.
    RackSurge - Superior Hosting Solutions
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.
    Premium Network - Level(3), Savvis, AT&T, PCCW Global, nLayer, and TeliaSonera

A 270 would be quite a bit better than a XEON 2.8 dual core, now if you start talking some woodcrest cores it is a different matter.

XEON 2.8 is slower than the 270.

How much are 5160 better than 5110, and 5110 than Opteron 270? And how these all compare to Athlon X2 64 5200+?

All dual of course. With the primary task of managing a VLDB, about 30 GB...

the opteron 270is 2.0ghz tho am i correct
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.

250 are already 2.4 Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by RackSurge-Amit
    I was wondering which would preform better i been told they rate different so im not sure. Would a Dual Core Opteron 270 or a Dual Core Xeon 2.8 be more powerful, or are they about the same in performance and power, 1 person told me the 270 be about the same or with more power.
    Is it a single xeon with dual core? Or, is it two xeon processors both with dual core?

If two Xeon Processors both with dual cores, itd obviously beat the Dual Core Opteron 270. If it is just a single xeon with dual core... then the 270 is faster.

They are both dual cores and dual processor

Quote Originally Posted by Imago
    How much are 5160 better than 5110, and 5110 than Opteron 270? And how these all compare to Athlon X2 64 5200+?

All dual of course. With the primary task of managing a VLDB, about 30 GB...
    I'd say the 5200+ would easily beat a 5110...but the 5160 would beat the 5200+...

The new woodcrests are pretty good machines but I'd go with the 5130...the 2ghz 1333fsb model...biggest bang for the buck...I mean you could go for the 5160 but those are pretty hefty price and don't provide too much more performance than the 5130...

** Addon: The opteron 270 is 2x2ghz 2x1mb cache, the 5200+ is 2x2.6ghz 2x1mb cache so the 5200+ would definitely win, but if you need a dual processor machine the 5200+ doesn't support it (obviously since its a "desktop" processor). But it will put out the same performance as a Opteron 185...

Can someone explain to me what the different between the socket 939 opteron and socket 940 it seems opterons for socket 939 are cheaper for my powerful ghz wise chips

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    if you need a dual processor machine the 5200+ doesn't support it
    Ooh, that's why my hardware supplier was very perplexed today wondering where to get a dual CPU MB. What about the 4200+ - do they work in pair?

Thanks

Can someone explain to me what the different between the socket 939 opteron and socket 940 it seems opterons for socket 939 are cheaper for my powerful ghz wise chips
    There's no such thing as a dual CPU 939 board.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

so what about the new socket F / socket 1207 for the new AMD chips i dont understand why some with same ghz and dual core cost more then the others

Quote Originally Posted by Tessla812
    If two Xeon Processors both with dual cores, itd obviously beat the Dual Core Opteron 270. If it is just a single xeon with dual core... then the 270 is faster.

so a system with dual core dual opteron 270 is better

so what about the new socket F / socket 1207 for the new AMD chips i dont understand why some with same ghz and dual core cost more then the others

As with the 940's, the socket F's increase in price as they are supported with more cpu's in a server.

opteron 12xx is for 1 cpu systems, 22xx is for up to 2 cpu systems, and 82xx are for up to 8 cpu systems.

939 are for 1 cpu systems, and 940's are for more than 1 cpu systems.
    Last edited by Jason K; 11-09-2006 at 01:30 AM.

do they make a board to handle 8 cpu

Smile

The oldest version of AMD Opteron CPUs are the 1xx, 2xx and 8xx series
    1xx series runs on socket 939 (single CPU)
    2xx and 8xx series run on socket 940 (Dual-able CPUs)

Then AMD release dual core opteron CPUs, they all run on their same socket, but they are just dual core.

Later AMD release another set of opteron CPU (1xxx, 2xxx and 8xxx). 1xxx are socket AM2 and the others are socket 940 (socket F). This version of socket 940 is not compatible with the old socket 940. That means you cannot put the old version of opteron socket 940 on this type of socket F board.

The difference between socket F and socket 940 is that they use DDR2 rather than DDR and the HT is much better than the previous version.

do they make a board to handle 8 cpu
    The 1xx or 1xxxx series are just for single CPU setup
    The 2xx or 2xxxx series are for multiple CPUs setup
    The 8xx or 8xxxx series are for Quad CPUs setup

So if you have 4 of 8xx series CPU and each of them is dual core, you can say it you have 8 CPUs system.
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 11-09-2006 at 01:46 AM.

Socket 939 (Opteron 1XX, AMD X2 939) is a single processor, socket 940 (Opteron 2XX, 8XX) is for dual or more....

Socket AM2 (Opteron 1XXX, AMD X2 AM2) is single processor, Socket F (Opteron 2XXX..) is for dual or more...

Simple as that...the ones that are cheaper are most likely only for single processor applications.

ok makes sense and thanks for everyone for help, which one would your recommend for a vps solution i was thinking dual 270 because of pricing, any input

Statistically the 270 may be better than the Xeon 2.8, however I strongly advise against the use of AMD's as servers.

Contrary to popular belief AMD's do actually run hotter than Intels, thus providing a slight performance degradation if the CPU's going to be busy to start with. Secondly Intel CPU's tend to be a whole load better at multi-tasking and processing tasks more efficiently than AMD's.

Having said that you are unlikely to go wrong using either, but from what I've seen daily in my line of work the Xeons seem to consistently make better servers than Opterons.

are the price rang about the same

Jeff,

You are just making stuff up, an opteron 270 is WAY COOLER running than a Xeon 2.8 dual core! And multitasking ha you are FUD central aren't you?

We are talking about XEONS, not about Woodcrests, you may have a point on heat with woodcrests, but its not a huge temperature difference between opteron and woodcrest either.

Any data about the performance of Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz HT EMT64 as related to the old Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz HT?

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...C0394BE8D7315B

Check that link out seems the Opteron crushes the Xeon 2.8 even in windows
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax