Unhappy Something I do not understand

Before I signed up to post here, I had came across a few providers that offered unmetered bandwidth. I did a search here and it turned up with a list of results showing "there is no such thing" and "scams" and all. Providers offering unmetered bandwidth are scams? Sorry I am new.

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null
    Before I signed up to post here, I had came across a few providers that offered unmetered bandwidth. I did a search here and it turned up with a list of results showing "there is no such thing" and "scams" and all. Providers offering unmetered bandwidth are scams? Sorry I am new.
    no, you can get unmetered b/w - typically on some dedicated servers. you are limited by other things:

-speed of network port
    -speed of CPU (I/O)

unmetered on a shared account is probably a scam, but not on a dedicated server.

Kind Regards,

Welcome to the forums! Anything un-metered (as far as disk space and bandwidth are concerned) is nearly impossible to offer. For example, if a web hosting company offers "Unlimited Disk Space" - there is absolutely no hard drive that is "unlimited" (trust me, if there was I'd be the first one to have one!). A provider could not "honestly" provide this to their clients. Same goes for bandwidth (the same concept at least).

What do you think of Hostway? They are offering unmetered bandwidth. A google search turned up with 3620000 results and they seems like a large cooperation. Would I go wrong with them?

HostWay is a very reputable provider. Are they offering unmetered bandwidth on a dedicated server platform or shared hosting accounts?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

un-metered is in referene to bandwidth on dedicated servers and it's very legitimate.

If anything it's misleading. Your bandwidth isn't regulated or limited. you will of course be restricted by the size of your port. if you have a 100mbps connection unmetered it simply means you can use as much of that 100mbps as you can get.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

It is best to go dedicated for unmetered, otherwise it is a ripoff really.

What do you think of Hostway? They are offering unmetered bandwidth. A google search turned up with 3620000 results and they seems like a large cooperation. Would I go wrong with them?
    It all depends on how the host chooses to distribute the unmetered bandwidth customers and how they plan to balance the load/usage. Most probably will restrict you anyways by allowing you to use very very little CPU Resources while others might give you the option to actually use much more but limiting your storage and so on.

Dig around, whreviews.com explains it a bit more in depth

Cheers
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Most of the time the unmetered bandwidth is actually limited, but people usually dont hit it. They also have throttling where after you reach say 100GB, they suspend your account until you request for more. So in essence, they give you 100GB bandwidth at a time in blocks, each time you have to request.

> HostWay is a very reputable provider. Are they offering unmetered bandwidth on a dedicated server platform or shared hosting accounts?

Shared. I am very interested in their Platinum Web Hosting. $26.95 a month.

Hostway is a scam?

I think iweb have shared un-metered plan.
    But they do limit other resources and monitor usages.

Un-metered doesn't mean "unlimited usage of any resorces".
    It can be a catch for people who look at thing in terms of bandwidth only,
    or a host controling resource usage by other means.

If someone says it's always a scam, I don't take that very seriously.
    S/he is most probably a simple minded person concluding with limited examples/knowledge.

I just was looking at the hostway package you mentioned, the platinum one, and saw something odd: the plan offers 1.2 GB of space, but limits you to 50 MB for podcast storage and 2GB for the podcast transfer?

That is very shady........

/dev/null, basically they are saying you can have 1.2 GB in total, but you can't use it for whatever you want. If your read their TOS/AUP (policies) I would bet you find stipulations on what kind of files (html/flash/wmv etc.) you can actually host with them. What good is 1.2 GB, or 1,000,000 GB of storage if you can't put what you want on it??

Yeah, thats just stupid. Streaming takes up a lot of server power, and being a shared provider... it obviously doesnt want to slow down or hinder the other customers on the same server.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessla812
    Yeah, thats just stupid. Streaming takes up a lot of server power, and being a shared provider... it obviously doesnt want to slow down or hinder the other customers on the same server.
    I detect a bit of sarcasm in your voice...

Actually, streaming media takes EXACTLY the same amount of "power" as pushing any other type of file down to a client.

What does it matter if you have a popular blog, pushing HTML, or stream to a few listeners some mp3s? It's just data - no difference in CPU overhead.....

If I go with other providers offering limited bandwidth, would that guarantee I could use up the entire amount of my allocated bandwidth?

If I go with other providers offering limited bandwidth, would that guarantee I could use up the entire amount of allocated bandwidth?
    /dev/null -

There are so many hosts out there, my best piece of advice is not to get lost in all the numbers of disk space and bandwidth. Instead, look for a host that has been around a while and can make sure you don't have to think about whether or not your email is getting to its destination, or if your website is down. Find a host that you can get a hold of, on the phone, in chat, whenever you need them.

Don't go for the cheapest, don't go for the most expensive. I can only assume you would rather spend your time working on your business/project/website instead of trying to figure out why you can't ping your webserver.

Best Regards,

Unmetered is NOT Unlimited.

Unlimited does not exist. Unmetered exists.

It's like with your car, if you are on a highway that limits speed to 60 Miles per hour, then you are metered because if you go over 60 miles you will pay a fine. If you are on a private race track, you are unmetered, you can go at whatever speed your car will allow you to go. But depending on the car you bought you'll be able to reach different top speeds. That is what we call unmetered. It is never unlimited, like no car will allow you to go to unlimited speed !
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

If I go with other providers offering limited bandwidth, would that guarantee I could use up the entire amount of my allocated bandwidth?
    Not at all.

There are limits (hard set or unwritten) for many kind of resources, and most hosts applies them as they want.

Often the TOS/AUP contains something like "we are the sole and final arbitrator of this and that", meaning they can do whatever they want.

Users must stay within all of these limits.
    If you go over one of them, and if the host decides it's too much, you can get into a trouble.

Larger host are usually a lot more competitive and also often softer on applying the limits, IMO.
    (They have larger room/mergins for absorbing abusive users, so to say.)

I use hosts with very large bandwidth/disk allowance, and that allows me to forget about worrying/controling these aspects and concentrate on the other aspects.
    If you go with smaller hosts with small small tiny package, then you may have to worry about all of them, which isn't very fun, but it isn't a problem if you have a tiny tiny site without many visitors.

It all depends on what you want.
    So, the first step is knowing the all sort of possibilities out there,
    and then knowing what you want, using some of them.

Unhappy

I was looking all over this forum last night. I searched for unmetered bandwidth and the first thing that pop-up to me was to avoid it. Then I was looking at some reviews and found a couple of hosting recommendations. One of them was PrecisionEffect.

precisioneffect.com

How do you compare hostway with precisioneffect?

Most of you are telling me to avoid hostway and go with a provider that offers limited bandwidth. PrecisionEffect do offer limited bandwidth, but there is absolutely no contact information at their web site. The contact page is just showing just two AIM contacts. Conversly, I often see business web sites have business addresses, phones. One thing I found very interesting was the instant messenger as a form of support option. Like hostway or rackspace, they do not offer AIM or MSN as a support option.

This is not the only one that I found that had no contact information, there are many providers here are lack of contact information, No address, no phone.

Why?

I was looking all over this forum last night. I searched for unmetered bandwidth and the first thing that pop-up to me was to avoid it. Then I was looking at some reviews and found a couple of hosting recommendations. One of them was PrecisionEffect.

precisioneffect.com

Most of you are telling me to avoid hostway and go with a provider that offers limited bandwidth. PrecisionEffect do offer limited bandwidth, but there is absolutely no contact information at their web site. The contact page is just showing just two AIM contacts. Conversly, I often see business web sites have business addresses, phones. One thing I found very interesting was the instant messenger as a form of support option. Like hostway or rackspace, they do not offer AIM or MSN as a support option.

This is not the only one that I found that had no contact information, there are many providers here are lack of contact information, No address, no phone.

Why?

That is a very good question. Take that as warning sign.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Tessla812
    Most of the time the unmetered bandwidth is actually limited, but people usually dont hit it. They also have throttling where after you reach say 100GB, they suspend your account until you request for more. So in essence, they give you 100GB bandwidth at a time in blocks, each time you have to request.

That's not at all what unmetered means. Unmetered isn't measured in GB, but capped in mpbs. Its speed/pipe cap, not data transfer/quantity.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

precisioneffect.com

Why?
    Our website lacks a variety of contact methods due to some issues we had with a contact form.

When we release our new website (December 1, 2006), we'll be offering many new methods of contact that currently aren't listed. Hopefully this cleared up some questions you may have had.

Regards,
    Steve