Question Difference between "root access" and "root-like" access

I am evaluating a VPS to run a web-based applicant tracking system (PHP/MySQL) for internal use mostly (and so applicants can drop in their own resumes).

I have read these forums about WestHost (who I am evaluating) and their "root-like" access. What is the difference?

I have a consultant who is a bit stronger in the Linux side, and will do the work, but I need to know this stuff. I can get around in Linux.

What is the difference between full "root access" and "root-like." What can't you do if its only root-like access?

Quote Originally Posted by zoomiest
    What is the difference between full "root access" and "root-like." What can't you do if its only root-like access?
    That could mean a number of things - it depends who is using the phrase. Do you have a link?

My gut reaction is that if you need/want root access to your VM then you need/want real root access not "root like", what-ever that means.

westhost replied on a topic about this, they offer a jail shell type solution, that is not really root have quite a bit of power.

I don't know a lot more details and search is not working well for me to find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomiest
    For the record, I went to the horses mouth, and heard:

WestHost Sales: Hi Allan. We offer more or less a managed VPS technology. Let me list a few of things you can't do without us getting involved.
    WestHost Sales: - Running software in a "chroot" environment.
    WestHost Sales: - Install kernel modules
    WestHost Sales: - Mounting file systems
    WestHost Sales: - Read/sniff raw network traffic
    WestHost Sales: - Use a software firewall like IP tables
    WestHost Sales: - Replace the Qpopper POP3 server with a different POP3 server
    WestHost Sales: Use separate BIND zone files for each domain name in a VPS account
    WestHost Sales: Did you have any specific questions?
    WestHost Sales: Basically, we maintain control on a number of things, but you still have a lot of access.
    WestHost Sales: On many things you can simply ask us for access if you need it.

Think that is fatal?

If you just want to develop a php/mysql web application then you probably don't need root (or "root-like") anyway - regular shell access would be enough.

More info on the Westhost / Sphera system here.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter