Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is "SLHost" any good?

I found SLHost online, and I need a VPS server. I am wondering is SL Host offers a good VPS. Here are some of the things they offer

Included with every VPS package:
    • 24/7 Managed Services
    • 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    • FREE Cpanel/WHM
    • FREE Fantastico De Luxe
    • FREE Virtuozzo Power Panel
    • Full Root Access
    Hardware Details:
    • Dual Intel Xeon 3.06 Ghz HyperThreading Processors
    • 4 - 8 GB Registered ECC DDR RAM
    • U320 SCSI drives in RAID 10 for optimal redundancy and performance
    • Redundant Power Supplies
    Addons:
    • Disk Space: $5 per month for 10 GB
    • Prepurchased Bandwidth: $5 per month for 10 GB
    • Prepurchased Bandwidth: $25 per month for 100 GB
    • Bandwidth Overages: $1 per GB
    • IP: $1 per month
    • ClientExec Billing Software: $5 per month
    and with the cheapest plan they also offer 10GB space, 150 Bandwidth, Guaranteed 256 RAM and 3 IPs. for $44.95/mo. It is also 50% off annually, so if i get it for 1 year it will be the same price as 6 months, but then that also has 20% of monthly so it would really be like 4 months.

But yea is this a good deal? Im looking at lvl 1 VPS on http://slhost.com/vps_solutions.html
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••
    | | | |**The Top Web Hosts**
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

I will recomend them to you

Excelent support and uptime.....
    Tell them I send you....

I use them and would recommend them. Both support and servers are good.

Even if u pay monthly u get 20% off at the moment

yep i highly recommend them too!

Best Virtuozzo VPS provider I have ever used!

Quote Originally Posted by BETIServices
    Excelent support and uptime.....
    I agree with the support which is excellent and so are the features they offer.
    But uptime? Well no.... at least not in my case.
    I'm with them for about 2 months and they have been down 4 or 5 times (longest was close to 1 1/2 hour) and the server's performance has really gone downhill, although they've said that they're working on it.

I keep you all posted.

I agree that their support is not bad. I mean the reply speed is pretty soon, compared to many hostings I have been stayed on.
    But the uptime and server load is not so good.
    I am considering to buy a VPS may be not a good idea for me.
    I always think that VPS may have better connect quality and independent source.
    I am thinking if it's a good idea to move my site from my shared hosting to Slhost VPS.

Because I haven't put any little larger website on the VPS, the VPS can be downhill for serval hours. And customers from Asia like China complaint the speed was really slow.

If I move my main bussiness site over Slhost VPS now, what will happen makes me worry.

I bought VPS for that my shared hosting used to shut down my site for that they think my site resouce abused sometimes. It's a nightmare to get customers's phone and told you that your site is dead.

I think that even the package price is really nice. But how can I call it nice if I dare not to move my site over there. I am thinking if I should ask them a refund and find next hosting or not. I hate to do the finding and moving decision. It's really a wasting time job.

Their support is truely execellent now, though it reminds me about site5's support history.

The good news now for me is that my Slhost VPS seems back to normal speed and server load.
    Last edited by mark0168; 05-15-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JDonner
    I agree with the support which is excellent and so are the features they offer.
    But uptime? Well no.... at least not in my case.
    I'm with them for about 2 months and they have been down 4 or 5 times (longest was close to 1 1/2 hour) and the server's performance has really gone downhill, although they've said that they're working on it.

I keep you all posted.
    JDonner, I think I spoked to soon

I moved from their services due to downtime, now I have servers and on my own. I though to grow with the m but I had a VPS and many things happen (VPS Deleted with all info) their excused was that it was hacked witch on that time I did not care on a sense that I just started, well imaging if I had customers there ... ooops somebody just hacked will not be a good excuse.

I will have to said and it has been said, their support is very good and I have not complains about it.

Guys trust me i had worst worst experience with SLHOST
    dont ever choose them

Their support !! ???
    all you see is a couple of persons who can handle basic things like when there are no issues with server.
    they just say
    i will pas your ticket to admins

They are actually overloading their nodes
    i had downtimes above 3 hours a day
    they never accept their part
    they just put the blame on you.

FROM MY SIDE I WOULD RATE THEM -100/10

See the Physical Memory in attached pic.
    It just sucks
    and i will tell you around 1AM GMT the node overloaded has a heck of cpu load which hikes like no way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic.JPG  
    Last edited by fidoadmin; 05-16-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Where did you take that screenshot? (I would like to have a look too).

I'm a little bit confused about memory use in Linux. When I check memory usage in WHM I see:

Mem: free: 8268324 uded: 8146004

I mentioned this to them a few days ago and they said:

"The memory usage you see is normal for a Linux environment. You will almost always see the full physical RAM grown into unless just after a reboot. Linux uses all of it's available RAM for efficiency and dips into swap space when needed. The problem with this node is that the swap space was being used to much, causing slower I/O times as the CPU has to work harder when using swap."

I'm no Linux expert, so I just believe what they're saying, although I find it a bit odd... full physical memory usage that grows... isn't that what we call memory leaks?
    Anyway, I had performance problems on my server, they said they're moving clients and I've seen improvements, but at the moment it still took me 4 min to login in Cpanel and opening pages with VZPP takes me 1 min or more. There are still delays on the forum, pages that take 10-15 sec to open. I'm not happy, but nevertheless I want to give them a fair chance to bring the performance back to normal and from what I've understood they've been working hard on it the last few days. I can only cross fingers. Btw, unlike you I don't get the impression that they don't know what they're doing. Sure, they have a problem, but that doesn't mean that they're no experts (which doesn't mean I will change my opinion over time though) and neither do they blame anything on me. And as for support; I never got any basic answers. If needed they came up with very detailed explanations and in some cases pretty technical too.

Last edited by JDonner; 05-16-2006 at 09:36 PM.

i installed phpsysinfo.
    google and you will get it
    it says all these things

moreover i had almost same kind of loading issues.

DUDE trust me you will never be getting out from this problem
    finally they will tell you its your issue and ask you to upgrade to their enterprise node for 80 or 100$

Their support is very bad, they support techs dont try to solve a problem but either fix that to clients head or try to find a way where client should ADJUST to the problem

The day you are happy to quit SLHOST contact me and i will let you know how good other providers are there who provide just the good service for a bit more price.

SLHOST just proves one thing. YOU GET WHAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR

AND TO TELL YOU
    in MY CURRENT SERVER MEMORY USAGE IS SHOWN at 5% IN WHM not 90% as in SLHOST

Quote Originally Posted by fidoadmin
    The day you are happy to quit SLHOST contact me and i will let you know how good other providers are there who provide just the good service for a bit more price.
    Can you PM with the name of these providers (and the one you use), incase things don't go as I expected? I just want to be prepared and move as soon as possible when I start to get really frustrated.

Oh and btw, let me know which SLHost server you were on.

i dont know which one or so. but surely you can contact me over yim or msn

That screenshot is totally normal for a Linux system.

The system is using 25%, or 2GB, for caching of items into RAM that would otherwise have to be read from disk (which would be much slower).

Linux only really starts to bog down when you are using swap space that is greater than the amount of RAM in the system, e.g. a 1GB RAM system will start to really bog down when it is using swap space of 768MB to 1GB .

I have had systems that routinely were using 1GB RAM and 1GB swap that remained responsive.

The load average is under 1, meaning that on average, there is not even 1 process waiting to use the CPU.

You may well have had downtime, or possibly the screenshot doesn't show other variables like a slow disk or an overloaded network.

Hello,

Based on the screenshot listed above, the node is not even near capacity.

The node in question is not oversold. This is in no way to be considered an SLhost endorsement. Future readers of this thread should not believe that that server in that screenshot was overloaded, as it was not at the time the screenshot was taken.

Perhaps there was some other problem, but as far as memory overload, no way.

AND TO TELL YOU
    in MY CURRENT SERVER MEMORY USAGE IS SHOWN at 5% IN WHM not 90% as in SLHOST
    This is most likely due to your new host allocating memory via SLM rather than UBC. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Good luck

thats current rate, not at the time the server was down
    when server was down how can i take screenshots

and moreover they hardly reply ticket atleast in 2 hours everyday when their node is down
    i had faced same situations upto severe that node was down same timings upto 4 consecutive days.

at around 1PM GMT the loads are ranging from 10 to 80

do u think that s normal

If so i will just say u are taking their side

never in my life would i take SLHOST again or tell anyone to opt for it
    on their 384 ram vps i was not even able to take a backup
    when backup is executed the loads just hike to 20's

but on another 256 with powervps backups dont even hike over 2
    with same sites and same Processors with same amount of RAM and same CentOS 4.2

their support just dont admit anything on their side.
    Last edited by fidoadmin; 05-16-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fidoadmin
    and moreover they hardly reply ticket atleast in 2 hours everyday when their node is down.
    I'm not so happy with Slhost right now, but I do give them a fair chance to solve the problems (it should be give and take from both sides). However in this situation I can't say that they're not responsive. There were some issues with downtime, nothing major accept for one, but they always responded within 30 min. I'm not saying that you didn't have 2 hrs respons time, I'm just sharing my own exeprience which is different from yours.

fidoadmin, I am not taking anyone's side, just pointing out what is going on.

Definitely a load average of anything over about 5-10 is much higher than is acceptable. The servers I have for my clients do not go over 1.0 unless they are running a big backup or a long-running program like a big awstats process.

Do you have the ability to log in via SSH to the machine? If so, try running "iostat 5" or "vmstat 5" and look at the output over say a minute or two. The first line of the output will be historical, either a sum total or an average spread over the entire time since the machine was booted. The second and later lines, will show you what is happening at that moment.

These commands give you a much better picture of what is going on. For instance, if the disks are being used heavily the performance will be bad even if the CPU is not heavily loaded. iostat would show that, for instance.

JDonner,

I'm not able to put your WHM name with an account of ours, but I'm assuming you're on the Hera server since you've referred to migrations we're performing on this server, which is still the case. A few accounts were noticed hogging the CPU time and two of them need to be upgraded to dedicated servers yet, which they agreed to and this has delayed the migration of two of the most CPU hungry accounts. Some of the migrations have already helped the situation and it will get better in the next couple days. I thank you for your patience with all of this.

fidoadmin,

I was able to find your account history and you have not provided the whole story here so lets' hear the other side of it.

I skimmed through your multiple support tickets and did find a few delayed responses, but I would say 98% of them were within 30 minutes, with many from that 98% even being within 10 minutes.

Your account was definitely not on an oversold or overcrowded node. The activity on your VPS alone was causing issues with your own performance. Your account had also been attracting bad attention with DoS attacks, etc., which eventually led to us asking you to find another provider. We even refunded your last payment even though you had used up 1/3 of the payment.

The above is just a short version of your account history with us and I'm sorry it didn't work out, but there's no need to jump on the "slam slhost" bandwagon when your issues were ultimately caused by yourself and as far as I'm concerned, we provided the best service possible to you up until the end. I do wish you luck in the future and I mean it.

mr josh

What other version
    i too beleived you first day you said my client caused issues and so server down from 4pm to 6 pm when your rep respnded at 6:30 pm

and second day it went down you said my neomail was causing issues same time
    and you responded at 6pm

third day i told you to stay online at that time and around 5PM again it went down. now this time you dint have any option now you put blame as ddos attack.

finally i was EVEN MORE HAPPY TO SHIFT WITH A REFUND. just because you gave refund doesnt mean you were a good host.
    I monitored that vps for next 2 days after suspending and chaning all my accounts and noticed loads of 10-20 at the same timings. i dont have to lie over here just for blaming you. ITS JUST UTTER TRUTH. and still you cant blame my accounts when all dns were redirected to new ip and even all accounts were suspended in server. STILL YOU SEE 10-20 as load ??????

I NEVER HAD THE SAME NEOMAIL, OR ACCOUNT OR DDOS on a PowerVPS. that too with resources lower than yours. which you said to have exceeded limit. One day your support tech says. i have no where reached limit. next moment itself another say that sorry sir that cpu hikes bcz your limit was crossed.

You may try to conceal your mistakes here since this is a public forum. i dint come front till now JUST for a REASON, you atleast thought of giving back money. IT was NOT A BIG FAVOUR. The downtime and money i lost due to you was just nothing close to what you paid me.

Well for now you may correct other guys issues just to keep your name in the forum but it was a mere truth that i couldnt even run a backup on that vps
    the backup hikes loads to 20 and then fianlly i had asked you to stop it. i even asked you to stop node backups for my vps since it affected my cpu loads badly. and all. I had taken 384 ram vps and you asked me to ugprade to your enterprise once. on powervps 256 ram works just greate no hikes of 10-20 anytime with the same content.

I will tell you guys. with slhost you get what you paid FOR
    Dont go for CHEAP guys, you go for a low rate you GET A LOW STUFF

Powervps, servint all are damn good providers with actual techs out there and not just people who says "I am forwarding your ticket to admins" and wait another 1 hour for a response.
    Last edited by fidoadmin; 05-17-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZillNet
    fidoadmin, I am not taking anyone's side, just pointing out what is going on.

Definitely a load average of anything over about 5-10 is much higher than is acceptable. The servers I have for my clients do not go over 1.0 unless they are running a big backup or a long-running program like a big awstats process.

Do you have the ability to log in via SSH to the machine? If so, try running "iostat 5" or "vmstat 5" and look at the output over say a minute or two. The first line of the output will be historical, either a sum total or an average spread over the entire time since the machine was booted. The second and later lines, will show you what is happening at that moment.

These commands give you a much better picture of what is going on. For instance, if the disks are being used heavily the performance will be bad even if the CPU is not heavily loaded. iostat would show that, for instance.

dude i had account alive till morning with slhost even after their refund.
    just nw when they noticed i am monitoring the server they have removed it just bcz i am revealing their truth.
    they have rights to remove since i dont need it anymore.

btw. dude check this
    after a load of 5 that vps doesnt even allow ssh access. if u are already logged in then fine
    you cannot login after load of 5
    + whm gets stuck
    and backup never completes
    when backups start loads hike to about 20 and around 4PM IST the loads were on 80. can you imagine that ?
    that too 4-6 consecutive days. of which 3 days i opened ticket and all of them not responded in an hour if responded all it was "i am forwarding ticket"<<--- common reply.

i would really never ever suggest anyone to go for slhost.

You have some serious issues having to come in here blaming us for your problems and trying to defame the slhost name out of spite. Just admit that you're angry we asked you to leave and are trying to "get even". Even the snapshot you provided shows a load of under "1" and normal memory usage. We tried to explain every time how memory usage works on Linux but you choose not to believe us. We tried to explain why your load kept increasing and there were multiple reasons for that. You had an abusive account running on your server, Neomail issues (it's no secret Neomail has issues on Cpanel), and were attracting negative attention to your account. Whether you choose to believe us or not, these issues were not some fabrications created by our techs.

I am not at all angry for why i have quit

BUT ALL THE MORE HAPPY to have choose a stable host even if it was a penny more
    But the best stable one. atleast it doesnt take my vps down everyday from 4pm to 6Pm. beleive you or not its the utter truth and my ticket for that was responded 2 hours after issue and you still say you couldnot see that ticket.

I know i clearly remember i had issue from 4pm i noted in ticket it was hardly replied in 2 hours

above all i dint have a single day without issue with your server either a load issue . Remember everyday my ftp and services were failing and you said it was a false message and asked me to stop whm monitoring. i even contact cpanel about this. still since you said i disabled monitor and next day u were proved wrong. my services were actually failing.

I know i am no where reaching limits of a 384 ram vps since i am running the same thing smoothly PERFECT on a powervps 256.

Just to be frank. guys powervps is far far bettter than a slhost vps.
    If you had worried about your name you would have given a good service.

Your VPS was running fine with us after the abusive user was suspended and Neomail was disabled. You just happend to have continuous bad attention attracted (i.e. DoS attacks) after the fact so you didn't have a chance to experience it running fine before we finally had to ask you to leave.

Anyway, happy to hear you've found a stable solution for the time being and wish you well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast