RegisterFly abandoned RapidSSL - PROBLEMS

I've been using RegisterFly for SSL certificates as they charged only about $14 for each one. They were from issued from a trusted source, Equifax Global eBusiness, so no problems with needing to install a trusted source with every browser I tried.

Now the dirt:

The switched to a Comodo based SSL cert, and the issuer comes up as ResellerFly Certificate Services. The bad news is this is not a trusted issuer by default. The result is now if a potential customer tried to access the secure side, they get a window asking them to install the certificate! This is UNACCEPTABLE.

I tried contacting them via phone and was told I must contact their techs via their ticket system. After explaining this, the response I got had no relevancy to my question.

Instead, the tech answered about how I tried to renew an SSL certificate which they said they would extend the period - and they didn't. I lost a month that the old cert was still good for.

I'm trying to determine if the issuer is indeed correct. If it is supposed to show up as ResellerFly, then it is %100 worthless and money wasted.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Screenshot
    Last edited by Exitof99; 11-08-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Doing some digging, I see that Equifax SSL products are now owned by GeoTrust, and they have discontinued the low cost SSL certificate. I suppose they felt they were losing too many sales to the low cost certificates.

RegisterFly must have decided to become their own certificate authority. If I wanted a certificate issued from a no name, I would have issued it myself.

Anyone have a good lead on low cost SSL certificates? I'm looking at the Thawte reseller plan, and the cost for a quick type SSL is agreeable, although not as cheap as the RapidSSL.

Why not open your own rapid ssl account? They have a pay as you go and block pricing options. Not as cheap as it used to be, but not horrendous yet.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response 24/7/365

I have looked in to that before, funny you ask, and now because of the situation.

I do have an update.

At this time, I can not confirm whether the problem lies in the host or the certificate

What I can say is the RegisterFly crew are slow to respond and even worse about reading the actual questions.

I've realized that my host is failing to install the intermediate certificate, so there is no parent trusted certificate authority. I've been pulling my hairs trying to get the host now to realize that they are most likely the ones at fault.

I handed the instructions over to the host and they keep doing the same thing over. Hopefullly they are going to fix it this time (waiting for the next response from them).

Well how low is a low cost one? If you want contact me I don't want to break any forum rules so I am not too sure if I can tell you about what I have but.....I have a few I need to get rid of and might be able to help. Just PM me or hit our helpdesk and ask for Matt.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response 24/7/365

Final Conclusion Update:
    This problem was not one caused by RegisterFly at all, it was caused by the host (JaguarPC) not installing the certificate properly.

I'm rather dissapointed that it took so much effort to get this done right. JaguarPC has been a preferred host in my book for a long while, but I have reason to believe that the techs are mostly Indians with American names like 'Bill' and 'Bob'.

These techs that I'm speaking of have a now classic problem of not reading and understanding the problem so it takes so much longer to get something simple accomplished.

I've recently had this same problem with Comodo (which has offices in India) where it took 45 minutes to ask a SIMPLE question. This is all ironic as my favorite tech at JaguarPC who really knows what he is doing is Masood, which is not a typical American name.

In the end, everything is fine, the certificate is now installed properly - although RegisterFly did not honor their offer to set the renewal date so that I didn't lose any of the old certifcate. I figure the loss of one month is far better than having the techs reinstall the SSL certificate.

Regarding JaguarPC, I do have to counter my complaints with the some goodies. They do not charge for installing SSL certificates, they only charge $1 a month for an IP address, and they are almost always quick to respond to a support ticket. They still come highly recommended in my book for a cPanel host.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername
    Well how low is a low cost one? If you want contact me I don't want to break any forum rules so I am not too sure if I can tell you about what I have but.....I have a few I need to get rid of and might be able to help. Just PM me or hit our helpdesk and ask for Matt.
    RegisterFly lowest price certificate is $9.99 a year, I don't know how they got that price. I've checked with Comodo, the issuer, and the lowest price for a reseller I could find was around $28 for the same certificate. I did find that they have recently changed prices.

I've heard of loss leading business structures, but I can't believe that RegisterFly would take a loss of nearly $20 per certificate. They must have bought a bulk amount prior to this price change.

I believe a lot of the CAs decided that the low cost SSL certificates were taking too much business away from the high dollar certificates. This could mean that we might be seeing the end of the low cost SSL certificate, and perhaps the best plan is to buy long now in to the low cost certificates.

Godaddy sells SSL certificates cheaply - about US$20 for 1 year and US$34 for 2 years.

I believe a lot of the CAs decided that the low cost SSL certificates were taking too much business away from the high dollar certificates. This could mean that we might be seeing the end of the low cost SSL certificate, and perhaps the best plan is to buy long now in to the low cost certificates.
    Godaddy aint going away anytime soon. Don't beleive all you read!
    Last edited by brianoz; 11-10-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Comodo used to sell certificates issued from the same CA with the same certification path for $14 at litessl. Now they are using the postivessl brand for that specific certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Exitof99
    I've heard of loss leading business structures, but I can't believe that RegisterFly would take a loss of nearly $20 per certificate. They must have bought a bulk amount prior to this price change.
    They wont be making a loss. You can get certs from the CAs for only a few $$ a year if your willing to pay big money.
    Andy
    Resell SSL Certificates - API / WHMCS / HostBill / ClientExec
    Servertastic - RapidSSL, Geotrust, Thawte, Symantec, SmarterTools and more