* ThePlanet - Alive?

After a lot of uhming and ahhing about picking a new dedicated hosting provider, the relatively new ServerMatrix ValueXtreme 2.8 caught my eye as an affordable entry-level server that was near perfect to my needs.

Before my purchase I decided to ask a few questions before I purchased the product, so I fired off an email to their pre-sales address listed on the website, expecting (from what I know of the company) a prompt, reasonable reply.

Instead, nothing.

After 15 days and noticing that the server I was interested in had gone out of stock, I decided to follow it up. After all, emails can get lost or waylaid... so I sent an email asking politely regarding my queries, along with a copy of the original.

Still nothing.

After another 16 days I sent another email noting my dissapointment in the company's failure to provide any response, but that I was still interested in their product.

At this point I'd like to note that whilst I live in GM+8 timezone, I had made a few attempts to catch the Live Support operators on, however no matter what time I checked - they appear to be "Offline".

Having waited over a month for my questions answered, I decided to contact EV1, who also list the ValueXtreme products on their page - I was hoping that someone over there would be able to answer my questions, and find out why I hadn't received a response.

EV1's support/sales live chat team were easily reachable, and Erik handled my queries promptly and satisfactorily. I told him my problem, and that whilst I was happy with the product, I would not be purchasing the it until such a time as ServerMatrix/ThePlanet took the time to return my email in some form.

Erik kindly offered to contact someone at ThePlanet and expediate such a response.

Nothing.

I'm making this post in an attempt to:

* Find out if anyone else experienced issues contacting ServerMatrix/ThePlanet of late?

* Get a response out of the company.

* See what people think, am I crazy to still be interested in their product?

Oh, and the server I'm interested in has run out of stock again.

I'm quite dissapointed, I've always held The Planet in high regard for their product and support... maybe I was wrong..
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

Perhaps they are focused in their merger with EV1. You can PM yourhost in WHT, their sales representative here.

You may look into Softlayer.com, company run by the ex-management of TP.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng
    Perhaps they are focused in their merger with EV1. You can PM yourhost in WHT, their sales representative here.

You may look into Softlayer.com, company run by the ex-management of TP.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think Jeff (YourHost) is with The Planet anymore. I noticed his name is no longer on the website.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I tried to contact them with server quote too (2 days ago), No response so far. BTW: I'm their customer

The Evil One,

I apologize for the lack of reply. If you drop me a PM I will be happy to assist you.

Sirius,

I'm still here and willing to assist... It's good to hear from you and hope your doing well.

Edit: ckissi, you are welcome to PM me also and I'll be happy to look into your needs.

Thank You.
    Last edited by YourHost; 11-08-2006 at 10:59 AM.
    Jeff Reinis
    (469) 607-3005 - jreinis@cogentco.com
    www.cogentco.com
    Datacenter Colocation - Tier-1 IP Transit - Bandwidth Solutions

I apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail, yes sometimes e-mail get lost. The Sales team is available from 7am - 8pm CST Monday through Friday. You can always call us to get the fastest answer 800-377-6103 option #2.

Currently the servers in our Value line are sold out. We should have more available in the next few days. May I suggest the SuperServer 3+ instead of the value server. You get much more server and support features for a great price.

Again, I apologize for the delay I assure you that your business is very important to us and I appreciate the feedback on your frustration with Sales, I will address this immediately.

I ran into the same problem as the OP recently - had to call to find out they were sold out of the box I ordered.
    Scott Benson, Owner
    SB Hosting Solutions LLC
    http://www.sbhostingsolutions.com

I have been with TP for last couple of years and the service is not less than perfect to me. I still strongly recommend TP over many other DCs.

Blessed.

Update: I managed to get in touch with the company's sales via live support last night, and have spoken to one of their representatives who is currently helping me out.

Still no explanation as to why my email went unanswered, and the product I'm after is out of stock, but it's nice to finally be receiving the pre-sales support I would have expected.
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

The Evil One,

You will be the second EV1 associated with ThePlanet. :-)))

Now seriously, get an Orbit account and you will see that your server will be rebooted in the most evil hours of the Texas night, within less than 5 minutes. These guys are pretty much alive.

Quote Originally Posted by vigor
    ThePlanet is kind of like mass market hosting. You don't get that personal touch you get with other hosts.

I would look into a company like Steadfast.net, whom is regarded as one of the better dedicated providers around. With better communication as well
    I got pretty good personal touch when I was there... as in, I was impressed when my phone call had bad reception (it meant their guy was on a cell phone helping me with an issue)
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

Quote Originally Posted by ewhost
    I got pretty good personal touch when I was there... as in, I was impressed when my phone call had bad reception (it meant their guy was on a cell phone helping me with an issue)
    Sorry -- but what does that mean... maybe he was on a cordless or a cell because it was more handy? I just don't call that being more 'personal'.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

I've actually been with the planet for about a month. I've been talking to their sales guys for almost a year though. I'm actually pretty impressed with their level of service. I had my eye on the 2.4 unmetered box, but it was sold out at the time I went to order. I got the same price on a better box and an apology. Haven't run into a problem with tickets being submitted/resolved, DNS records added et al. They came very highly recommended to me, and I would in turn recommend them to someone else.
    Rick
    http://www.mscomptech.com great prices - unmetered bandwidth

I had the same problem of not being able to reach sales via e-mail. After waiting for about 4-5 days, I called them and got all the answers...

Not sure about what will happen in the long term, but after the signup, support was very responsive, yes via e-mail

There support is great there network is solid and fast.

I don't contact then true e-mail only phone our orbit.

The Planet is not perfect and has dropped the ball occasionally - they are human after all. Having said that, my 2 1/2 years experience with them has been nothing less than perfect. I've had boxes go down and they've been all over them within a few minutes. I had one box where Windows trashed its TCP/IP stack, and the tech spent over half an hour of unpaid time (and this was a ServerMartrix box = limited support) trying to get it working again (unfortunately the automated OS reinstall didn't work, but that's another story )

I actually just made another post regarding the same issue. 3+ emails plus a live chat offline message, no response. EV1 has great support though, maybe we will have to wait until the new year consolidation before we get the best of both worlds (support + server matrix line).

Talking

To be completely honest... when people talk trash about The Planet... I don't know what the hell their talking about (I've been with them for 2 years on a total control and matrix extreme).

I agree that The Planet is Clearly at Fault for not returning emails for 15+ days. If those people were working for me... they would be fired ( and that may have been the case here... LOL )

But on the flip side, anyone who allows a situation to span a month... !!! Probably has about a 30 IQ ( 1 point to go with each day they waited ).

Seriously, I'm not here to start a personal fight/flame war whatever. I'm just trying to convey some...

... Honest Truth and here it is:

A response time of more then 48 hours in a business such as hosting is absolutely unacceptable and quite simply pathetic on the part of The Planet.

However, you are complaining about a situation that YOU allowed to span 30+ days... so how seriously can we take your complaint here?

When someone can't get the job done for me... I find someone who can. You should have done the same and The Planet would have lost your business.

People who whine and complain about service usually fail to see that 50% of the problem is lack of action on their own part.

Am I wrong to think that after 2 days you should have said "The Planet obviously does not care for my business... I will find someone who does"... and gone on to the next host on your list...??

I spend my time working... not complaining... thus my 12 or so posts in this forum after 2 years. I'm reloading my home server right now so I've got time to blow off some steam

J.Schecter

Disregard this message, I must be tired and keep getting treads confused.
    Last edited by HostingOne-Jeff; 12-07-2006 at 01:47 AM.