Thread: VPS Questions

VPS Questions

Hello,

I wanted to know what everyone thoughts where on vps software Virtuozzo or OpenVZ.

Also another question i was wondering hear there companies out there that put 30-50 vps per box what kind of machine do they use and do they get good performance from them.

Thanks to everyone in advance
    RackSurge - Superior Hosting Solutions
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.
    Premium Network - Level(3), Savvis, AT&T, PCCW Global, nLayer, and TeliaSonera

I personally don't run Virtuozzo, but if your going to have a large scale operation or if you can afford it personally I would go with it.

The Power Panel would save alot of tickets and the fact that you can make VPS's on the fly using templates saves alot of work (and time, money, etc).

Virtuozzo also monitors bandwidth usage, cpu, memory, etc (Unlike VMWare).

As far as the servers used to host them I am not too sure as it really depends on how much CPU your client uses, I know virtuozzo has something special about their virtualization techonology.

I use VMWare and on average I can fit maybe 10 customers (Maybe, Depending on their usage) on a Dual Xeon (2.8 GHZ+Hyper Threading) with 4 GB of RAM.

I know FDC uses virtuozzo and they have Dual Opteron Systems w/ 8 GB of RAM.

Just my thoughts and stats.
    K. Gato
    KJServers Systems Administrator
    www.KJServers.com

have you ever used any other software and your xeon are they dual core
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.

I don't understand.... Why do you try to lade your servers?

Hi!

I think using dual-core xeon with a lot of memory to put a lot of customers on a single box is stupid. This will first cost you a lot. You will have to buy a very expensive motherboard, 2 xeon which are known to be very expensive, etc. What we do is that we use CONSUMER processors and not-so-expensive motherboard from Supermicro that can handle the 4GB. The current Pentium D 930 (the dual core ones) are perfect for the situation. After all, one of those box, that can handle about 15 customers, will cost less than the half of a box that could handle 30 customers. The other point is that you have less chance to have only one customer taking all the CPU for himself and have 29 other customers not happy. Also, it would be rather hard to know who is taking too much if you have 30 customers, when it's rather easy when you have only 15. Also, I'm sure that a dual-xeon machine would NOT be twice as fast as a dual-core 9x0 pentium D machine, especialy on HDD I/O. Last point, it's harder to get the hardware when it becomes that specific.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

2+ CPUs (usually more), lots of RAM, SCSI hard drives in a RAID and the assumption that all the 30 VPSs will not be doing intense computing most of the time.

im not saying i would do that i was wondering what everything thinks, but using Virtuozzo for so many box's can get expensive, I have a spare dual core dual opteron 270 2x 250gb i was thinking of maybe making vps box but how many do you think this system could handle

I would guess 20-25 VPS at most as your disk I/O will slow down way before anything else
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

would scsi machines be better

It will help a bit. Got RAID-10 SATA or SCSI though with a decent card
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

what is used for your vps

I have been told by a company on this board that they put 40 on Dual Core Dual Xeon 2.8 with 12gb ram and 2 300gb hd with no problems

To fit 30-40 VPS's in a box, typically:

AMD Dual Core Dual Opteron 270 (Or quad opteron 870)
    Or Dual Core Dual Xeon.

Probably 12-16 gb ram ish.

at least 160 gb HDD. Probably more.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals