Unhappy I need a reliable host quickly, HELP!

Hello everyone,

I really need a good, cheap, realiable host really quick...

The site will start out fairly small, but should grow pretty big
    with daily activity happening, it will be like a MySpace!

I am wondering how much space and bandwidth
    do these types of sites actually use? Can you tell
    me of a good, cheap, reliable host for doing that?

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks,
    Jamie

MySpace for instance I can't even imagine how much bandwidth they use on a monthly basis. The glamor about web hosting is for the most part a provider will let you upgrade your package to whatever your need may be at that time. So for instance, if you purchased a smaller package to test things out and indeed you grew bigger you can for the most part upgrade your account to handle the growth.

Depending on requirements such as MySQL databases, because it sounds like you need a few databases, OS and Control panel preference, etc you should be able to gather a list of providers and search for reviews on them right here from WHT.

Start by looking in the offers section of WHT to get an idea of some of the providers out there. Once you have a nice list, search for reviews on them either here at WHT or various review sites like whreviews.com
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Depending on requirements such as MySQL databases, because it sounds like you need a few databases, OS and Control panel preference, etc you should be able to gather a list of providers and search for reviews on them right here from WHT.

Start by looking in the offers section of WHT to get an idea of some of the providers out there. Once you have a nice list, search for reviews on them either here at WHT or various review sites like whreviews.com
    Thanks for replying HostFrog...

Requirements are: 1 mySQL database, I want
    Linux OS and yes I would prefer cPanel

I thought I had a host until I started reading...

It was WebHostingBuzz but people are saying they
    don't like hosting the intensive sites or whatever
    because of when you get close to your limits etc...

Thank you for the great ideas about the offers
    section and yes I will find some reviews also

All other input is still appreciated from you or anybody else!

Jamie

Hi,

I would recommend starting out with a decent sized shared hosting package just to get your myspace type site setup and working and bringing some traffic in at first, then you can eventually move on to a VPS and transfer the database/files over and move DNS Over and sync the domain over without any downtime by asking the host to change A Entry of your domain on their server to your VPS and so on.

If you're expecting a lot of unique visits right away and thus causing a lot of heavy mysql usage, then I'd definitely recommend starting out with a semi-dedicated package or a managed VPS solution.

Look around WHT here and do your search.

Good luck
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

That sounds pretty basic to me Jamie. I don't think you will have a problem one bit finding a web hosting provider. If I can give one suggestion that I hope you take, start your space off small and upgrade when needed. This is an effective way of "cutting the fat" or in other words saving money

If you are just starting, I don't think you'll really need more than 10 - 20 gb of bandwidth as it takes a while to build up a site. As for reliability, check stats, many hosts can't keep the uptime they advertise. Good luck with your hunt!

I suggest you concentrate on guesstimating your short term needs, and looking for a host that gives you that at a reasonable price. For now, shared hosting should do, but you won't be running MySpace's twin from a shared hosting account, that's for sure, which is why it's good at least to prepare for the real costs of hosting.

Put real efforts into making the site be quite profitable by the time you have to put it on a dedicated server. Too many disregard this aspect completely, and find themselves between a rock and a hard place. Even if this is just a hobby, money are still needed for it to run and grow.

If you're just starting, then, get an small package in a host where you can upgrade later, however, if you plan to be the next "myspace" I suggest to start looking for investors, because is going to cost you an arm and leg to do it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by squeege
    Hello everyone,

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks,
    Jamie
    A little off thread, but have you looked at scripts like www.phpfox.com pretty neat IMO

My friend you are good... that is the script I will be using...

I do have another host in mind, they offer 500MB DS
    and 5GB BW for only $1.50/m - 18.00/y, I have not
    done my reviews yet but I think it sounds reasonable
    although I may need more disk space than that, I
    think the bandwidth will do well (at first anyways)

Whadayathink???

Jamie

hmmm, seems to of a low ball price IMHO, but it is whatever works for you! Like I said, reviews matter and will help you better make a choice

Good, cheap and reliable just don't match. Would you be good and reliable if someone payed you pennies?

Start out small and work up to being big, this list should help you:

[H-Sphere]
    www.fluidhosting.com
    www.steadfast.net

[Custom]
    www.pair.com
    www.segpub.com

[Plesk]
    www.precisioneffect.com
    www.laughingsquid.com

[Cpanel]
    www.asmallorange.com
    www.myriadnetwork.com
    www.downtownhost.com

OK Ross, ty, I have asmallorange written down...

Can anyone else recommend some hosts...

I want a low-cost to start with and
    then upgrade when I HAVE TO...

I have found some (1 or 2) for $1.50/m w/500MB DS and 5GB BW
    which is what I think I will be only needing to begin with!

Any recommendations of that range???

Thanks,
    Jamie

I would say if you want to build a list up, look around in the offers section to see what providers are offering. This will give you a better idea.

On top of our main hosting company, we also have a smaller hosting company that gives plans for $1/month, with nothing special on the size and BW, and we don't advertise this company. I point this out, because we offer NO phone support, NO special addons, and we DONT like sites sucking up all the memory on the server. If you go cheap like you are looking to, make sure these guys haven't shut others like you before. Cheaper isn't always better.

Hello everyone,

PLEASE HELP...
    Each user have the concept about a good hosting. That can be well for one client will absolutely bad for another. There are many resources devoted to a hosting choice. You can look here again: http://24-7-solutions.net/reviews/ in section "Hosting Types".

After you will already be defined, what exactly for you in a hosting is more important, will be possible to advise the concrete provider. I thing so..
    For my site I choose 24/7 solutions - Professional managed hosting. It's O'k for now.

squeege, I'd be careful with that $1.50 package. I haven't researched that provider, but more often than not, you get what you pay for. If things like 99% uptime, unlimited bandwidth, SQL, PHP, Perl, cPanel are your concern, then there are tons of hosts out there that can support that (including my own). The best thing to do would be to make a list of hosts, then compare pro's and con's and draw your conclusion from there. Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Rick
    http://www.mscomptech.com great prices - unmetered bandwidth

Thanks for replying HostFrog...

Requirements are: 1 mySQL database, I want
    Linux OS and yes I would prefer cPanel

I thought I had a host until I started reading...

It was WebHostingBuzz but people are saying they
    don't like hosting the intensive sites or whatever
    because of when you get close to your limits etc...

Thank you for the great ideas about the offers
    section and yes I will find some reviews also

All other input is still appreciated from you or anybody else!

Jamie
    Hi,

We said that if you got to that sort of size, then you wouldn't be able to continue hosting on shared hosting or even single server dedicated hosting. You need a solution that fits in with the amount of traffic you get but we didn't say don't start off with shared hosting.

Sorry if this caused confusion.

WHB COO
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

You should be able to find what you are looking for here at WHT