* 80GB Hard Drive
    * 1024MB RAM
    * Bandwidth: 1500GB
    * IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
    * Private VLAN
    * Basic Resource Monitoring
    * FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
    * 100% Self Managed and Dedicated

I'm not so worried about the specs, I know the machine will handle the load, I'm just curious about their option to have a private switch. It's only 10 dollars more. But first I'd like to ask if anyone knows if it's worth it? The people gaming on this server will be located in or near Texas. I would like to provide as good registry as possible.

Do you think i'll be fine without it or should I buy the private switch?

I don't think you would need it.. it won't help you in any way. The private switch is to network multiple servers together (etc web/mysql server)

ah I was under the impression it would give me unshared bandwidth.

how about the 100 mbps port versus the standard 10 mbps?

how many servers are you planning to host? i think 100mbit would be better if you're hosting quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdanny
    ah I was under the impression it would give me unshared bandwidth.

how about the 100 mbps port versus the standard 10 mbps?
    You will be able to use at least 1500GB of bandwidth with your server, and should be able to push close to 10mbps or 100mbps at peak times. Shared and dedicated bandwidth really only matters when your pushing 30mbps constantly with some unmetered solution.

A private switch is simply an ethernet switch that, if you have more than one server, will allow you to pool your bandwidth so you only pay for as much bandwidth as that which leaves the switch. Inter-server bandwidth is technically free. More advanced switches can do more, but thats the basics.

Go with a 10mbps port, unless you are hosting 4 or 5 gamesevers. You can always increase the port to 100mbps at a later time if you see yourself spiking to 8mbps or so for long periods of time.

Alex

Thank you all for your replies

I bought the standard 10 mbps, I'm only buying for one month and I know for a fact I won't go over 3 game servers which will be 12ish slots or less. I guess I'll upgrade next month if I feel like theres a need.