* Blog hosting companies

Currently, I've got a VPS and I'm reasonably happy with it, but I really don't need the power (the VPS was bought for a larg-ish project with friends who've since left the country!). All I host at present is a reasonably popular media-related blog. I really don't have the server admin skills to operate the VPS and it's running pretty much on a wing and a prayer!

I've been thinking of saving some money and switching over to a smaller hosting account with the added bonus of not having to administer my own server. The packages offered by MediaTemple and TextDrive appeal, but I'm in the UK, have a Maestro debit card and prefer to use (verified) PayPal - neither of those two hosts seem to take PayPal without a lot of messing around, phoning internationally etc.

So basically what I'm asking is - are there any hosts tailored specifically to bloggers, similar to TextDrive, which you'd recommend? Either Maestro or PayPal payment options would be fantastic, I'd like a Ruby on Rails facility if at all possible... and that's about it! Looking to pay below 20 of your American dollars per month.

Cheers in advance,
    A

Most hosting companies support blogs, and some will even install them for you. I believe you first action should be to find a host you like, then find out if you can get a blog of your choice installed!

Thanks for your help, but I'm looking specifically for companies which target bloggers. I don't really know why - I guess I'd just be happier with a host which was on the same wavelength as me. I really like the look of TextDrive, if only I was able to use it... it looks like it's got real people running it, and a bit of a community going, as opposed to the thousands of hosts with names like "CyberMegaWebDooDahHost" and lots of pictures of flashy servers that aren't actually theirs...

(PS. I know quite a few posts with "I can't pay by credit card!" mean "I'm actually thirteen years old" or "I'm insolvent", but I can assure WHT members that I'm neither of the above!)
    Last edited by 1 & 1 = 3; 11-07-2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to add the PS

Have you tried to google it? That might help you a bit. Also try searching WHT

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by 1 & 1 = 3
    Thanks for your help, but I'm looking specifically for companies which target bloggers. I don't really know why - I guess I'd just be happier with a host which was on the same wavelength as me. I really like the look of TextDrive, if only I was able to use it... it looks like it's got real people running it, and a bit of a community going, as opposed to the thousands of hosts with names like "CyberMegaWebDooDahHost" and lots of pictures of flashy servers that aren't actually theirs...

(PS. I know quite a few posts with "I can't pay by credit card!" mean "I'm actually thirteen years old" or "I'm insolvent", but I can assure WHT members that I'm neither of the above!)
    Yep, you can see the "fly-by-night" hosts from the website, if they use some cheap template design it was something that was quickly put together. Then there's the other hosts, which invested time and money into making a good quality hosting company. Those will have professional websites, as well as reviews, and true support.

I wouldn't say that a provider that uses a template design is indeed fly-by-night, but the OP certainly should be careful and choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    I wouldn't say that a provider that uses a template design is indeed fly-by-night, but the OP certainly should be careful and choose wisely.
    Thats true, but for the most part its a big indication.

http://textdrive.com/hosting

Why not go with them then ? They seem reasonable but then again they are only offering what thousands of other resellers are offering...

It looks like they are running from a dedicated (scservers.com) based in Chicago

The OP mentioned that she could not use textdrive because they did not offer PayPal payment options.

I would suggest checking the Offers thread on this forum as it's a great place to search through companies and check out deals.

I've found one called "a small orange" which seems pretty sound - anyone know much about them? They're at http://www.asmallorange.com/

ASO is a pretty well known company, search for reviews around here and you should see the ups and downs

Agreed! You can also check out WHReviews for A Small Orange!

I suggest to search about them on the Vbulletin.com forum, apparently they are not passing for a good moment.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    Thanks, but you keep posting that same list everywhere... most of those hosts don't like PayPal; I hate to sound rude, but did you read the OP?

Are you looking for a host who hosts a certain blog script?

You could always use any website host you like and just upload the script or ask them to do it for you.
    Sean

Thanks everyone.

In the end, I signed up with A Small Orange after looking through the review sites and postings here. I'm particularly impressed with their Ruby support, active community forums and flexible pricing. Based on my current needs, I've gone for "medium" with the option to upgrade at any time to a higher package if need be... my blog, being related to the radio industry, hosts a lot of (legal) audio which can chew up bandwidth!

I just hope it goes well!
    Last edited by 1 & 1 = 3; 11-08-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Indeed! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, but you keep posting that same list everywhere... most of those hosts don't like PayPal; I hate to sound rude, but did you read the OP?
    Just want to clarify, we do accept Paypal.

Best wishes with your new host.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Yes I do post that list every where because people like yourself go "please help me find a host" without wanting to do much research themselves so I give a standard list of great hosts to chose from.

Hmm, I was looking at the list of "warning types". Since he's posting the same list everywhere - doesn't that warrant some warning points?

Just want to clarify that we do accept paypal too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore