Question Full service Web Hosting for small biz

My father-in-law has his own business. Years ago I created a website for him and set him up with a web hosting company (Jaguar). He's not a tech-savvy person at all. He relies on me to fix his web hosting and email issues all the time. It's become a huge hassle because it takes me a while to figure out the problems and troubleshoot it with Jaguar.

So now I've decided that maybe he should transfer his domain and web hosting to a more expensive company that will take care of his needs better than I can. And customer support where he can constantly call for assistance and get an immediate response. Is there any company that can take care of the transferring of domains and hosting?

He never changes his website, the only support he needs is the initial account setup, domain transfer and maintenance of his email issues. He'll pay the money if a company will do everything for him so he doesn't have to lift a finger.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by corimay; 11-07-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Can you provide examples of what kind of support he will need, it just seemed too general.

What problems are you facing with JaguarPC? they are a reputable hosting company.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

It sounds what you are asking is the need for additional maintenance. I would highly recommend you choose a few providers and then email them with some questions.
    As far as phone support goes, this may limit some of your choices (if that is a must)
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I'd suggest you contact a local web designer or a local reseller host as they are likely to have the ability to spend more time per client. Whatever you do, don't go with a budget provider as no matter what their sales teams tell you, you will need to spend money to get the type of support you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    What problems are you facing with JaguarPC? they are a reputable hosting company.
    Is the company JaguarPC (www.jaguarpc.com) or not?

Cool

Would also be interesting to know what type mail support issues he is having.
    Like many hosts we have videos explaining how to set up an e-mail account but sometimes people can't follow it...and of course some customers have no clue how to even set up an account in Outlook or whatever. So like most companies we will patiently walk them through the "open Outlook, now go here, now click this, now enter this here, now click this...etc." to try to get them going. Not really our problem (since it's their PC) but most hosts do this type stuff if needed.

But if he is having unusual issues it might be no support could help him (example he has a virus and doesn't know it causing his e-mails to not work right) since the host could finally determine his PC wasn't working right but would have no way of knowing why.

There are some hosts that consider "technical support" to be only that, if there is a problem on their end. For everything else the user is on their own. But that's pretty rare unless you have one of those "too good to be true" deals or the "Jaguar" you mention is a kid with a server in his bedroom (not the legit host)

Some more detail would help, what you describe is something most reputable hosting companies provide unless as I said there is something we don't know about what you call "e-mail issues".
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Yes, it's JaguarPC. Actually, there hasn't been any serious issues with JaguarPC. (Most of the time, its user-error). But he's of course putting the blame on them and decided on his own that he wants to change hosting companies. He has multiple domains and he gets confused which domains are hosted where and wants to consolidate everything in one place. Hosting at JaguarPC, domains purchased at GoDaddy and InterNic (I think?)

His issues are always email related. For example, he can't access his webmail, emails aren't coming through, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as him ignoring JaguarPC's emails to renew his domain, or sometimes to when they request DNS changes. DDT, you're right -- JaguarPC usually only goes as far as Technical Support and doesn't really help him figure things out on his end, which is the most difficult part for him. He needs someone to talk him through step by step, otherwise he is completely lost.

Good advice, YetiHost-Wullie. I guess what he needs is to hire a webmaster to take care of his needs. He would prefer to give someone all his domain account info and get them to do the transfers for him. Then be able to fix his email issues that they arise (whether its on his end or the host end). It's quite tedious and I just can't handle it myself.
    Last edited by corimay; 11-07-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Corimay,

You should find a solid webhost that specializes in working with businesses. From experience, small-business owners do need handholding; they have more important things to worry about then remembering their login to the helpdesk system...

Even mundane tasks, like adding an email, many of our clients do by picking up the phone and calling us. That being said, working with small-businesses is a different beast then just pushing cPanel/VPS plans.

Best Regards,

utropicmedia-karl,

Exactly what I'm looking for. I can't seem to find any companies that provide that service from my searches.

Cool

Keep looking
    As said there are companies that offer similar support to what I & the other responder mentioned we end up doing for folks sometimes, finding one that fits your budget etc. is a consideration but transferring domains, consolidating things, all that stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem for hosts that have mostly a business clientčle. Those are pretty common services.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I would recommend hiring someone if possible.

I would check here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WHC - Travis
    I would recommend hiring someone if possible.

I would check here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck.
    That's overkill. He just needs a host with good service.

There are companies out there that will manage everything for you. Most small businesses recognize the importence of being on the Internet, but either lack the skill sets or just plain old time to take care of everything.
    Do a search here and maybe choose a handfull of hosts you think you like and contact them and see if they can help. Just be careful with price and quality, don't go to cheap and make sure they'll provide everything you need. Best of luck!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

To build upon what Jim2Macs has said - once you have found a few companies, spend some time talking with their sales team to see what solutions they can offer and if they have any recommendations on how they might go about making things easier. Many host will go that extra mile for their customer and you might find that a smaller host would be a great solution as they would want to win you over with excellent service.

I wish you the best of luck and chime back in from time to time to let us know how your search went.

Cheers.

Ya, small business websites ussually require more tedious task because the owners don't have time to update everything themselves. This is just a question, but how much space is he using and what type of budget would he like to use? That can give me a better idea of some recommendations.

corimay,

Note: This post might seem like I am asking a few questions that have already been answered in one way or another already… please forgive me if any of the questions I’m asking seem a bit mundane. I just want to fully understand the requirements and then provide you with a viable recommendation .

You are saying that the errors your father-in-law generally encounters are user-errors (not the fault of JaguarPC) correct? And he would like to have the ability to contact someone 24/7 that would be able to “hold his hand” in a sense, and explain how to troubleshoot the issues – correct?

So really, “phone support” would be a tremendous bonus for your father-in-law. If he is having trouble accessing his emails, etc., hosting with a provider that only provides email/ticket-based technical support might not be the best idea. Additionally, web hosts that offer “live-chat” support in addition to email-based support, but do *not* offer phone support, might also be insufficient. If your father-in-law is not familiar with instant messaging services, chat rooms, etc., he may not be comfortable with live-chat support at all. Besides, generally speaking, “hand holding” is easily/quickly accomplished over the phone. It isn’t 100% necessary, but you should definitely ask him what he is more comfortable with and then search for hosts that provide those services.

It sounds like the website itself is relatively small, low traffic, isn’t resource intensive, and wouldn’t be all that difficult to host. There are literally hundreds of companies that can provide him with a 99.9%ish uptime hosting service. However, finding a company that provides phone-based support and that is willing to troubleshoot these types of issues for him would be a bit more difficult. I would highly recommend taking a look at a company such as http://www.FluidHosting.com . They are well known for providing quality customer support. They offer phone support, and would likely cater to your father-in-law’s needs. You should contact their sales department before making a purchase (just to double check with them), but they definitely seem like a practicable provider. There are plenty of other providers that you can research as well.

I wish you the vest best of luck in your search for a new hosting provider!
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

We do manage everything and we take care of clients quite well. I think what he is saying is where our techs stop, and his dad lacks, is the gap he needs filled. Like having a tech explain how everything works, walk through each thing step by step, item by item, truly hand holding. I dont know a single host that can teach a client how the internet works and eveything on it. We do our best with tutorials, guides, etc and troubleshooting when needed or asked.

Maybe all he needs is just to be educated one time on each thing he has problems understanding? Like someone sitting aside some time and talking to him maybe while viewing some tutorials to help cover any tidbits the tutorials dont?

Or maybe a real small host where the owner does most the tasks and may have time to dedicate to each seperate client?
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

What you should look for is a local ISP/web host. Get his hosting from the same place as his internet access. This will give him a better chance of getting hand holding help.

Maybe it's time for him to take some computer lessons and update his computer skills. If the websites are that important to him and they are part of his business then he should at least know some basics. It is part of his business afterall.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

What you should look for is a local ISP/web host. Get his hosting from the same place as his internet access. This will give him a better chance of getting hand holding help.
    I don't know about other places in the world, but my ISP is the last company I would think of when it comes to "hand holding", not to mention hosting services.

That's overkill. He just needs a host with good service.
    Actually, considering that

Sometimes it's as simple as him ignoring JaguarPC's emails to renew his domain, or sometimes to when they request DNS changes.
    It looks like hiring someone (even part time, or on a per issue basis) to take care of these things, isn't such a bad idea, as he appears to lack the time or motivation to take care of things. Those are not the "I need more hand holding" type of issues, those are the "I don't want/like to deal with this web stuff" issues. It looks like the OP has voluntarily filled that position, at least from time to time, and that's no longer possible either.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I don't know about other places in the world, but my ISP is the last company I would think of when it comes to "hand holding", not to mention hosting services..
    Well you're missing out. I use to work for a local ISP (still one of the oldest one's in the Vancouver BC area) and we did a lot of hand holding. There was a limit of what we would do but we did try to make the customer happy. We had a lot of customers who had ADSL/Dialup access from us and web hosting.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES