Thumbs up Site5 - through the storms of the last few months

I started with Site5 when they were just beginning to really have the issues with the overloaded reseller servers about 6 months ago. And I'm reporting back on my experiences since then. You will all be happy to hear that my service has been EXCELLENT since they moved over to the new reseller platform. Literally, it's been AMAZING. So, while I can't say that I'm happy to have gone down the road I had to travel down to get here - I can say that where things are now is spectacular and I felt that it was only fair of me to post this here. I had posted NUMEROUS times about problems I was having.

I would now go so far as to recommend them to people again. Support isn't perfect in my mind, not until we get out of the "canned responses mode". But, I'm willing to forgive since the guys are, in fact, local.

Thumbs down

But they are continue to make overselling. If you have already a reseller account on Site5 when you cannot upgrade it to a new plans(they don't move your domains to new servers, too). Their email response time getting worse (their average response time is few days). Their services gettig worse everyday.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Quote Originally Posted by joeco
    I can say that where things are now is spectacular and I felt that it was only fair of me to post this here. I had posted NUMEROUS times about problems I was having.

I would now go so far as to recommend them to people again. Support isn't perfect in my mind, not until we get out of the "canned responses mode". But, I'm willing to forgive since the guys are, in fact, local.
    Cute

I definately haven't forgotten and wish it was easier to find and move to a better host. I'm definately overpaying at site5.

I started with Site5 when they were just beginning to really have the issues with the overloaded reseller servers about 6 months ago. .... So, while I can't say that I'm happy to have gone down the road I had to travel down to get here .... I had posted NUMEROUS times about problems I was having.

... Support isn't perfect in my mind, not until we get out of the "canned responses mode".
    Remove a few sentences and it no longer looks like a positive review.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you basically seem to be saying, "I went through months of hell, but just had a good week, so now I recommend them."

The timing also seems odd. You have 7 posts here, 5 of which are site5 complaints, with the last post being 3 months ago. Then you come back to give them a not-so-convincing positive review while they're running a "Tell Your Friends and Post On Forums" sale.

In those 3 months since your last post they've had plenty of problems and still do. Your review is one of only two recent ones, and that was just spamvertising the current sale.

Maybe there's nothing shady going on here, in which case... congratulations to Site5 for running a promotion that makes their own customers look like spammers.

Here's a screen shot of a recent title search for Site5. You can see why the positive reviews during their promotion stand out like a sore thumb.

But, I'm willing to forgive since the guys are, in fact, local.
    And everyone else would probably forgive them if they got their act together, trained their support staff and focused their energy on going back to being the company they were a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuhler
    Cute

I definately haven't forgotten and wish it was easier to find and move to a better host. I'm definately overpaying at site5.

How can you or anyone be over paying at site5 with the prices they have?

Unless of course you are one of those that only want to pay $1 for 10gb of space and 100gb of bandwidth
    Last edited by rois; 11-08-2006 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    Probably basing it on reliability and/or quality of support.

I know I left because I didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth... and no amount of disk space or bandwidth could have changed that.

And it's definitely not a case of "you get what you pay for" since I was paying the same price that I paid back when they were a much better host.

Joeco, can you evaluate their
    1) response time and quality of the support
    2) uptime
    3) back up
    now comparing with what you used to have in their prime time?

Well, if I was spamming for site5, I would be asking people to sign up and use me as a reference. Which, if you read carefully - I wasn't doing in my post. In fact, my username here isn't even anything close to my name there, so, I'm getting nothing from this. I'm just posting my opinion. I've been impressed the past few months, that's all. I'm not spamming or anything else. I'm just trying to let people know that things we bad, yeah - but things have improved. How is that a bad thing again?

Anyways, I've dealt with five separate hosting companies and the support for ALL of them sucks. Unilaterally. So, if anyone gets good service, perhaps they could enlighten me.

I've not had to use support in the past few months, so, I can't really comment on how things have changed - or if they have changed.

Uptime has been 100% for me for about two months now. Whereas prior to the upgrades I was at about 92%.

Backups are easy to use individually, however one glaring flaw is the lack of an automated backup routine for all reseller sites, which would simplify things. Some enterprising people have come up with a script to do this, but I have yet to implement it.

Not spam, just an opinion. If you don't like it or don't agree with it - thats fine. Free country and all that. Thought people would want to know my experiences. Never thought I would be accused of trying to spam for them. If I post positive reviews for 1and1 would that be spamming? Anyways, I like them too (and have a dedicated server there).

Spam on forums isn't always considered to be an avenue for your betterment through links, etc. Spamming on this forum is for the most part giving great reviews of a company that you really don't have much experience with and are only doing it because you were asked, not because you are a client. Possibly evening getting paid something to post a positive review.

I am not saying that is what you are doing at all - I just wanted to clarify the term some. It is used way to loosely and can be confusing. In fact - I could be confused right now and misleading you with bad info as well.

I wish you the best with Site5. We on WHT have seen of slew of negative reviews lately on Site5 so it is refreshing to get a positive one.

I understand the point, it's just disappointing that people are so jaded. It was just an honest assessment of my recent experiences. And I thought I would share. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do appreciate your review and many others do as well. WHT mods normally have a process where they verify the review by obtaining your domain name with that provider. They might be asking for that shortly. If so - you can send it to them privately.

Unfortunately when posting a review - regardless if it is positive or negative - there are so many others on this forum that you will normally always get some level of flack from someone or a group of people that had an opposite experience as you have. Don't let that discourage you.

I for one would like to welcome you to WHT and hope that you find the information helpful and the people, in general, willing to assist.

I understand the point, it's just disappointing that people are so jaded. It was just an honest assessment of my recent experiences. And I thought I would share. Nothing more, nothing less.
    If you are happy with Site5, you are happy with them. Regardless of what other members may comment about your post. You have stated how you feel and that is that. Glad you are happy with them!
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Smile

Hi joeco,

Welcome to the forums. You have to realize that there are a lot of disgruntled ex-Site5 customers on WHT, myself included. After Site5's service falls to near bottom, they start a program that encourages spamming by posting positive reviews on forums. Then you come along with a semi-positive review of them. It's probably pure coincidence and you're being sincere but you have to realize that there will be some suspicious people including myself.

I truly hope you have a long and successful business relationship with Site5.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I'm kinda damned if I do here, damned if I don't. But I can see why there is suspicion now. The special is NOT for resellers tho, it's for the multi-site plans (if that actually buys me any credibility here). Anyways, I'll put up another review in a few more months if I'm still happy. And actually, I'll put one up for the 1and1 dedicated servers as well, as that thing has been a ROCK. Unlike my dixiesys (8-95) account, which is starting to remind me of site5 four months ago or so.

Sorry to those who think I am spamming. If the mods see fit - they can remove this thread or contact me for verification.

Unless of course you are one of those that only want to pay $1 for 10gb of space and 100gb of bandwidth
    Like Mike said, we're still paying old hosting fees. Unfortunately I only had about 1 month of good support.

Just to give you an idea of how spammy and out-of-place a positive Site5 review looks here: You've been registered here almost 2 years and you're getting welcomed to WHT like a newbie that doesn't know how the search feature works.

Well, if I was spamming for site5, I would be asking people to sign up and use me as a reference. Which, if you read carefully - I wasn't doing in my post.
    Normally, that would be true... but in this case, all Site5 does is claim to give better pricing up front and then they just request that you tell people and post in forums.

They put the don't-spam disclaimer on the page because they know that's what it is. That's why my last post congratulated them for running a promotion that makes their own customers look like spammers. I'm blaming them--not you.

No one is recommending them based on the service they deliver, so it looks they've resorted to begging.

Think about it this way. How seriously would you take positive reviews from any company that needs to tell their customers to post them, right on their on site? It's already hard enough getting honest hosting reviews with all of the affiliate link sites disguised as "reviews."

I'm just posting my opinion. I've been impressed the past few months, that's all. ........ I'm just trying to let people know that things we bad, yeah - but things have improved. ..... I've not had to use support in the past few months, so, I can't really comment on how things have changed - or if they have changed.
    In any case, your positive review still seems to boil down to this: "I've been there 6 months. The first 3 were horrible. No random crashes lately and I haven't needed any support, so now they're okay." Honestly, even if 99.9% of Site5 posts weren't complaints, your post still doesn't really project a good experience with them.

Anyways, I've dealt with five separate hosting companies and the support for ALL of them sucks. Unilaterally. So, if anyone gets good service, perhaps they could enlighten me.
    Good hosts can seem hard to find, but they're out there. Search for any of the (current!) popular choices around here like : Hostgator, Steadfast, ResellerZoom, Jodohost, A Small Orange, etc... and you won't see a results page that looks like the Site5 picture. I'm sure I missed a few good ones in there, and maybe someone else will add them.

If nothing else, I'd at least do your research now, so you don't have to do a last-minute panic move if Site5 lets you down. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Personally, I gave them a chance when things were good, even though everyone else seemed to start hating them--and it was a serious mistake. (Keep in mind that there were hardly any complaints about them when I had originally signed up.) All hosts have problems, so I figured maybe there was just an unstable server or two that were pissing everyone off. Then... I hit my first problem with them... and the disappointment wasn't with the fact that there were server problems. My problem was with their support, which not only caused the problems, but took forever figuring out how to get things running again. Their updates weren't accurate, their response times were slow and they were putting too much effort into censoring their customers in the forums.

But anyway, good luck! Hopefully you'll do okay with them.

Mike, you know - you make a great point in your post. In hindsight, I suppose my enthusiasm that things are somewhat better kind of got me carried away. I'm probably a little TOO wound up that things are how they SHOULD be at a host that I'm paying good money to use. I think my experiences with Dixie and the bad spell I've had with Site5 has really made me appreciate "normal" service.

Oh, and nice of you to notice my join date. I'm definitely a lurker.

I'm going to look into those hosts that you mentioned in your post. Since, too much of a good thing is never enough.

You know, this is why I've lurked here as long as I have - there are people like Mike here who have excellent opinions. I suppose I also got a little defensive about being called a spammer too - but - I wasn't aware of the "spam that we're cool" campaign.

Another happy ending at WHT.

there are people like Mike here who have excellent opinions.
    I hear that all the time... but I'm usually the one saying it.

I personally dont care about Site5.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessla812
    I personally dont care about Site5.
    Neither do million of folks out there who do not know what hosting means.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Thumbs down

Well, I've been on Site5 for over 3 years and back then I was impressed with their service. Right now I am in this forum, looking for clues as to what is going on, after trying to get a very simple reply from Site5 billing dept. for four days in a row. I got to this topic right away. It seems that I am not alone.... Which means, that I am quickly approaching the very difficult decision to look for a new host for my 4 sites. Site5 made a very big mistake when they decided that they will grow no matter what. With every new server they added to their "fleet" the quality of their service went down one step. I've been watching this process like many of you, I guess.

Please, give me an alternative I can investigate. I need a reliable host with good support, multiple domain capability on a shared account and flawless record.

what kind of budget and also space/bandwidth are you looking for? There are a lot of 'more' reliable host that you can find in this forum though I would highly advice going with those $5 host that offers GB of space and TB b/w.

Hostingzoom/Resellerzoom and Hostgator seem popular though have had a few -ve review everynow and then (but which host doesn't? ) or you can try a 'quieter' host (ie one with little or no -ve reviews) like dotable and axishost. All the four host have their reps/owners contributing to this forum quite a lot.

Good luck with your search.
    Roi

Smile

There are a lot of 'more' reliable host that you can find in this forum though I would highly advice going with those $5 host that offers GB of space and TB b/w.
    Hi Roi,

I think you meant "I would highly advice against going with those $5 host that offers GB of space and TB b/w.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com