Mystery "core.nnnnnn" files

I just noticed today that in the public html directory of one of my sites are two files of 3.3MB named "core.nnnnnnn" where nnnnnn is a number. I didn't create them. I presume that I can just delete them, but I am wondering how they got there. Has anyone else found such files on their server? Might they have been created by some process of cPanel?
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

These files are created when an application process crashes. The number indicates the PID the process was running under. Do you use some executables to be called via CGI from a browser?
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

No, I don't. I only use PHP, apart from one Perl script that is used for web-to-email forms. There are a couple of CGI binaries (cgiecho, cgimail) in the cgi-bin directory that are part of the standard setup. I don't knowingly use them, though.
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

Contacting the support will be your best bet. They should be able to track down which application is actually crashing here.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Using my web server logs I think I have tracked it down to a couple of clicks on links that use my PHP/MySQL click counter/redirection script, which returned an error code 500 for some reason. Why I don't know, as the links are perfectly valid, and work now. At least I know how the files got there, even if I don't know why.
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net