hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : How to set up a wireless network...

Forum Jump

How to set up a wireless network...

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Junior Guru

How to set up a wireless network...

Hi guys,

I want to have internet access without a cable box. I think I have free wireless internet access in my area.

Please advice on what type of wireless router and other equipments do I need?

It would be great if anyone can post a link to the items I need to buy in order to setup the wireless network.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 PM

Hey Discusman,

You have 2 solutions:
-either you take advantage of the free wireless Internet in your area, and in that case you just have to buy wifi card to connect to that network
-either you connect a wireless router to your cable/adsl modem, create your own network and buy wifi cards to connect to your wireless router.

I personnaly have a comcast cable modem, linked to a linksys wireless router, and I have a set of wireless cards to connect my desktop and laptop

Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper Drake, Slackware, OpenSUSE

Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Junior Guru

I take option #1. So I need to buy a wifi card and what else?

What brand of wifi card is good? Any specs of the card I need to look into before purchase?

Where does the wifi card inside of the computer? which slot?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2006, 02:41 PM

If you take option 1 you just need to buy a wifi card per computer you want to connect.
For the choice of the brand well it's up to you. If you just want to connect to the Internet a basic card will be enough. I personally like linksys but you can read reviews online and make your choice.
Usually those cards are connected to a pci port inside your computer. If you have a fairly recent computer you should have 4/5 empty pci slots.

Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper Drake, Slackware, OpenSUSE

Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Junior Guru

How much do these wifi cards cost? Do they come with any sofewares?
I want something that allows me to download stuff from the internet n be able to play online games.

Would you think a basic card can provide me all these?

Last edited by Discusman; 11-07-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM

First prices start around $20.
They come with the drivers and a software allowing you to connect to the access point.
Wifi cards are able to let you play online games and download, but the access point might not let you do that.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

If you are going to set this up, you may also want to consider some sort of security on your computer, perhaps windows firewall, and turn off any un-used services (nebios/file & Printer sharing) because one you join this network, it shows all the information you send to the internet, and would be easy enough for any attacker on that same network to sniff or see your information, clear text or encrypted passwords or anything, or to be able to break in your computer, and possibly take it over for their own personal use later on.

Best Regards,

-Shaun

Old 11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
If you are going to set this up, you may also want to consider some sort of security on your computer, perhaps windows firewall, and turn off any un-used services (nebios/file & Printer sharing) because one you join this network, it shows all the information you send to the internet, and would be easy enough for any attacker on that same network to sniff or see your information, clear text or encrypted passwords or anything, or to be able to break in your computer, and possibly take it over for their own personal use later on.

Best Regards,

-Shaun
wow, that sound scary. So what about having a cable box home? Would it be the same thing? Do you mean wireless internet access is more vulnerable to cyber attacks?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Yes, it's very scary. Infact wireless is not that safe no matter what your security measures be, either MAC filtering, IP filtering, IP Pool Filtering, WPA or WEP Encryption. I would just get yourself a cable box, and a wired router for the best security results.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
Yes, it's very scary. Infact wireless is not that safe no matter what your security measures be, either MAC filtering, IP filtering, IP Pool Filtering, WPA or WEP Encryption. I would just get yourself a cable box, and a wired router for the best security results.
ok, let me think this over.. I never know this before.

Thanks

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
To Fund School Broadband, FCC May Cut Funding for ‘Outdated’ Services Including Hosting Web Hosting News 2014-03-18 19:35:28
Wireless Symposium 2014 Web Hosting Events 2013-10-29 16:07:46
Web Host SupraNet Acquires Fiber Optic Network Mad City Broadband Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 10:52:45
Wireless Symposium 2013 Web Hosting Events 2012-12-05 13:41:13
Fiber Carrier Lightower Expands Network and Data Center in Providence Web Hosting News 2012-05-14 16:31:27