Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How about informing your current clients what has happened before informing the entire public of it? We still can't give explanations to customers. We need to go to 3rd party forums to find it.
    That's an interesting point. When this unfortunate situation arised, myself, and 4 other staff members took portable phones around with us, for any client who was calling in to imform them of the situation. Since coming back online, we have all been on AIM responding to inquiries as to what occurred. Why is it your not responding to your clients? But rather are at a 3rd party forum getting involved in a soon to be flaming thread.

My question to you "thetruestory" is where did you go first prior to coming to a 3rd party forum? Had you called the DC, and we've been here, and answering the phones, you would have know what occurred, and how long the expected downtime was.
    Thats a joke. BurstNET is having dos attacks every 3-4 days and their network goes down almost every morning. There's never any explanation.
    Have you ever asked for an explanation?

The network just goes down or up whenever they decide.
    Yes, in efforts to improve overall service performance, I purposely bring the network down every few weeks, as we like. Networks don't just go up or down when we decide. Networks are unfortunately at risk of DDOS attacks, hardware failures, emergency upgrades. None of the staff enjoy it, and certainly none of the customers do either. The last unscheduled network upgrade was because of a DOS attack that was effecting the router CPU load, and it became emminent to perform an upgrade which was not planned until a few days later with warning to clientelle. For the benefit of the moment, we have to make decisions on the fastest possilble solution to any problem, with the lowest downtime. It is impossible to predict emergencies. All we can do is to take precautions that in the event of one, that we are prepared, and take necessary action against it. I do need to get back to work now, and resolve any customer complaints that may have arisen.

We offer 99.5% uptime NOT 99.999%.

If you want 99.999% then you'll have to pay 5x as much at another company to get it.

If you do not like our service, then you are free to leave at any time.

We are aware of the problems we had in the past, and took actions to correct such...including hiring a ton of new admins/techs...and support has been phenominal since then, as well as upgrading lines and routers in order to handle the taraffic/capacity/attacks....what more do you want from us? We cannot control a peice of hardware failing! We had a backup plan ready and it was implemented VERY quickly.

If you think you can do better, then maybe you should open up your own data center. I think you'll be quite surprised at all the issues that can arise, and you'll be amazed at how good of a job we really do when you have first hand knowledge of running a data center yourself.

Sean R.
    BurstNET
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Chill people!

When servers are up, they can be down... .. the important issue is they know about it and they fixed it in a timely manner.

Ethernet Card failed was out of thier control. Hardware failures happen.
    http://dynastyhost.com -Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    Web Hosting Since 1999
    Toll Free 1-866-307-HOST

Burst.net is hella expensive!!!

Hmm I got on AIM when I realized something was wrong earlier and got a prompt answer on what was happening. I would say the issue was resolved as quick as it could have been.

Originally posted by thetruestory

Youre obviously new to burstnet. . . . . . . . .
    Well, I'm not new to Burst. And as one that is not new , all I can say about your posts is
    We've been at BurstNET for nearly a year and have enjoyed fast and professional service and support.
    When they launched Nocster, we weren't upset. We were pleasantly surprised and took advantage of their generous offer and set up shop at Nocster as well.
    I have nothing but high praise for BurstNET and Nocster both. Other facilities could learn from their practices.

You're not thetruestory. You're just thestory.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

BurstNET: Why don't you setup a mailing list for all of your clients and inform them of downtimes? It does not matter before of after it happens, just inform them!! You're posting explanations on a 3rd party forum as why the network was down for 30+ minutes but you have NOT informed your clients.

Is it so hard to setup a mailing list script and inform your clients? Its not the downtimes that hurt the most, its the being left in the dark.

I'm sure there has been no emails sent out to clients, both Nocster and BurstNET to inform them what happened. Your clients don't need to run after you asking for what happened. ventures online for example has a status page at http://www.voinfo.net/ explaining what happened.

If we don't know what happened, what do we tell our clients? I'm telling you, we look like idiots in front of our clients because we do not know what is going on.

End of the rant under this screen name. When the time comes, i will post my full experience with BurstNET unless BurstNET decides to implement these small requests.

Im sick of:
    [list=1][*]Waiting hours for a reboot.[*]Not reaching any staff at night. When reaching someone after calling every minute for 3 hours and getting a reply saying 'Sorry i went to the bathroom'.[*]Having to ask every time what happened if the entire network goes down.[/list=1]

Sean, please keep an eye on your staff and their performance. I'm sure you're trying everything to keep things running but please consider the points and recommendations above. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Right on, truestory! Customers should not have to contact a host or data center to find out why they are down. The host/data center should initiate the FIRST contact and make ALL clients aware of any problem; it's THEIR responsibility.

It's so quick & easy to respond to all of your customers. You have all of their email addresses. Just put them in a script, click on the script, and voila! Takes 2 seconds, and I see no excuse for not doing this, unless you only have one server and your script is on the same server that went down; but a data center with several servers should have no problem.

Also... I thought Burst used switches instead of routers. Aren't switches better?

Originally posted by chrisb
    Right on, truestory! Customers should not have to contact a host or data center to find out why they are down. The host/data center should initiate the FIRST contact and make ALL clients aware of any problem; it's THEIR responsibility.

It's so quick & easy to respond to all of your customers. You have all of their email addresses. Just put them in a script, click on the script, and voila! Takes 2 seconds, and I see no excuse for not doing this, unless you only have one server and your script is on the same server that went down; but a data center with several servers should have no problem.

Also... I thought Burst used switches instead of routers. Aren't switches better?
    You are right but burst may not do it to save business good will. Although a network status page should be hosted outside burst network which customer should go and see what's going on. Atleast they can give this link to current customers so if anyone is known that they are down should go there and see what's up. in this way it will save there much time and goodwill and also we will get some sort of satisfaction what is going on and explain to our customers.

just my $0.02
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

I have an idea. Maybe non-pwebtech hosts should host their server status page at pwebtech ... who has servers that rarely go down or have problems.

However, my post wasn't directed at just Burst. ALL datacenters and hosts should do host a status page outside of their network; but few do.

I understand tho', if you own your own data center, why you would be more reluctant to use another data center for anything else; but that's just ego, and unwise, IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12