Question Stay with ThePlanet or move to Softlayer ?

We're currently with ThePlanet, but we want to change our servers (2 servers, get faster HDDs, we have 10K SCSI and want 15K SCSI), to one main server and one mostly for backup (it will run just minor sites). Now we're thinking about moving to Softlayer because they have better(newer) servers than TP but is it worth ? Total difference between two providers is: $90/month (for servers bellow).

Currently bandwidth consumption is about 500GB/month. We host only our own business sites, with total about 27.000 - 30.000 visitors/day.

Also I read here in forum that there were some issues with SL's network. We need 100% uptime as we have with TP. So is Softlayer's network reliable and stable in the past ?

Here are configurations I found on both :

SoftLayer

Server 1:
    Dual Xeon Dempsey - 3.0GHz (4 x 2MB cache)
    2 x 73GB 15K SCSI
    2GB RAM
    100 mbit uplink
    5 IPs
    1GB backup space

Price: $369/month

Server 2:
    Pentium 930 - 3.0GHz (2 x 2MB cache)
    1GB RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA
    100mbit uplink
    5 IPs
    1GB backup space

Price: $189/month

----------------------------------------------------------
    ThePlanet/Server matrix:

Server 1:

Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz (800MHz FSB)
    2 x 73GB 15K SCSI
    2GB RAM
    100 mbit uplink
    10 IPs
    40GB backup space

Price: $329/month

Server 2:
    Pentium 3GHz (dont know type)
    1GB RAM
    2 x 80GB SATA
    100mbit uplink
    5 IPs
    No backup space

Price: $139/month + one time $125 for second HDD

So what to choose ? SL or TP ? please advice an consider also network of both

Go Ahead with SL and feel better prices/nw and life...
    They have better offers to WHT users, check offers section on WHT at bottom .

Softlayer are good and I moved from ThePlanet. Softlayer are always improving and adding new things which is always good.
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

Couple things I would look at is, you have first hand experience with TP right now, and you said you haven't had any problems.

If its not broke why risk moving your stuff? How much would you loose if you were down for a day as with recent issues with SL?(Not saying they are bad/good, but there has been some downtime and the OP said he needed no downtime)

Thank you Hadriel, can you tell me more about those downtimes, were there more downtimes or only one and how long ? We can loose hundreds/day.

ckissi,

I have one box with SL (now only use for backup and small sites) and within 2 months I face 2 downtime. The last one lasted for more than 4 - 6 hours. After that Hugh lat problem was there. They don't have DDOS protection very well. They are doing something to fix DDOS problem.

If you need 100% uptime, stay away from SL. This is my personal experience. H/W is new and good. Service is *OK*.

Last time I talked with TP sales they told me about new upcoming servers and price. Just email them to get details.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Never been with either but I've always respected SoftLayer, my vote goes to SoftLayer. I also found a site on here that iinterviews softlayer which I found it a little neat, you may want to check it out. It also has the actual phone call conversation with over an hour of footage. Might be something you are interested in looking at before you make your purchase.

http://www.geeksgather.com/interview..._from=&ucat=2&

Rather than Dual Xeon Dempsey - 3.0GHz (4 x 2MB cache) I would suggest going with Dual Opteron 270 - 2.0GHz (4 x 1MB cache), unless you can afford the Woodcrest. Same for the P4, go for the AMD alternative.

Thank you goku123, this is why I needed to know, 6 hours downtime means loss of $$$, and 2 downtimes within 2 months is not a good number. Waiting for some other opinions and facts ....

I will cut right to the point: If I were you, I would stay with TheOlanet. We (as a company) as well as I (for personal use) have had servers in both TP and SL. I find that overall, my experiences with TP have been greater. With their acquisition by GI, I think things @ TP can only improve.

Also keep in mind: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Good luck with your choice.

Their first outage was on Sept 26 and lasted about 45 minutes with small glitches for several hours after that. Their second one was a 6 gigabit DNS DDoS on Oct 23 that they were able to mitigate to the point where it only caused about 5-10 minutes complete downtime. Those who were using Softlayer's DNS servers had DNS issues for a few hours after that but those who used their own or an outside DNS provider only had about 5-10 mins of downtime. That's pretty darn good DDOS mitigation (controlling a 6gbps DDoS) if you ask me.

thanx for answers so far, so do you think that it doesnt matter that those SL machines are better ?

ckissi,

What is the use of better server/hw if no one can reach to you. For 4-6 hrs downtime they did not considered my SLA. And told me that DNS is free and complimentary service....It WAS not mentioned anywhere.

I *had* customer, his site/blog use to generates $500-1000 from ads . He was with me for more than 2+ years and now moved to his own box to EV1 because of SL.

So my box is now only act as backup and runs few small site. I don't use their DNS anymore.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

goku123, you're right, we generates hundreds $ per day, so this is really important . We asked their sales over online chat and they said it was solved by their engineers and will never happen in future, but one never knows. We're with TP for almost 2 years so far, and we experienced no downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by goku123
    ckissi,

What is the use of better server/hw if no one can reach to you. For 4-6 hrs downtime they did not considered my SLA. And told me that DNS is free and complimentary service....It WAS not mentioned anywhere.
    Yep, SL doesn't appear take responsibility for their SLA.

Who cares if its complementary.. its still part of the public network.. As per my recent question.

We're with TP for almost 2 years so far, and we experienced no downtime.
    Then I recommend you stay with TP.
    Last edited by No1Resource; 11-06-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No1Resource
    Yep, SL doesn't appear take responsibility for their SLA.

Who cares if its complementary.. its still part of the public network.. As per my recent question.

Then I recommend you stay with TP.
    I agree. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" and "The grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there." cliche's come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannasite
    The grass is always greener on the other side
    Its always greener

Seriously though...Softlayer in my book....AWESOME! Can't be better. I would gladly recommend softlayer to anyone looking for dedicated solutions.

yeah they are a bit expensive, but its well worth it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I've got 2 servers at SoftLayer and 2 at ThePlanet. I love both companies. SoftLayer has had a few hickups with its network in recent months...I haven't had any issues with ThePlanet with their network at all. I do really love the prices and options available with SoftLayer. Our high end servers are with SoftLayer.

We have been with SoftLayer since shortly after they first opened. Yes, there have been a couple times with downtime. There is no questioning it, but I think you should look more towards how it was handled and resolved. Their network engineers are top notch and for the couple issues they had, Ric and the staff were on it and resolved the issues quickly.

I think itís more important to look at some of the other things:
    1. New hardware
    2. If you are to ever have a problem with a corrupted OS, you wonít have to wait 24 hours like with The Planet for an OS reload. You can start it instantly and itís done within an hour or so.
    3. If you do have an issue with anything, their staff is the best we have ever worked with. They are ready to help you with problems without hesitation.
    4. Private network can save you a ton of bandwidth in terms of backups. Our billing cycle just ended today and I looked at the private network graphs and we used well over 10TB of bandwidth.
    5. Is security an issue for you? Have you looked at their security offerings? All built into the portal, its impressive the amount of R&D they put into SL prior to opening.
    6. Console access via IPMI if you have an issue
    7. Monitoring + automated reboot if your server is down
    8. VPN access to private network for management of your servers
    9. Global Crossing coming to the network soon
    10. Ticket response times are still very fast even several months later (many people thought this would not be the case) but they have yet to disappoint.

From the price and judging from both theplanet & softlayer network uptime, i will choose the theplanet for now. However, softlayer is good. I am looking forward to a better uptime at softlayer first.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

The one good thing about SoftLayer is they are still considered a recent startup in my eyes and I haven't seen much growing pains with them at all.

As with a new company (as SoftLayer is) they will always have downtime. What matters is how they deal with it.

I am a big fan of Softlayer but it seems like a lot of hassle to switch boxes from TP to SL just for a bit of extra hardware.

I would hold on for a few more months then think about switching.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Seems that I'll stay with TP and will wait few months, then I'll ask here at WHT again about SL's downtimes. If there will be everything OK I'll move things.

Hosted exclusively with TP until migrated new business to Softlayer. As has been mentioned, they have been several network issues with SL and definitely so far found their network much less reliable than The Planet. But we have to remember The Planet has been operating much longer and has had longer to build a resilient network.

We had several horrible TP network issues in the past due to the way the network was previously designed mainly. But they seem to have addressed those in the 12-18 months and I'd say we've found their network bang on perfect. I can't remember the last networking issue over there in fact. If TP offered the kind of private network services that SL do in terms of growing out, we'd almost certainly still be there.

So I say if TP provide exactly the kind of service you need stay there. I'd still expect more growing pains and bumps along the way for SL customers.

Yes, their private network feature is great, just we really do not need that for now. So I agree with you that it'll be better to wait few month and then we'll see how is their (SL) network reliable .

The Planet updated its server lines very recently. You might want to look again as they have 950D's, Opteron's and Woodcrest servers along with 15k rpm drives available.

You have double benefits since you have choosed to wait. I noticed you are thinking about SL getting better but at the same time you are missing the point ... in few months planet may have better offering too.

So just wait and watch things are going to get better at both ends.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

I cannot see those new servers on their site, can you tell me where did you see them please ?

Im switching my boxes from SL to TP this month. Softlayer is about a joke when it comes to alot of things, especially trying to get them to honor their SLA or having hardware maintence performed, it serisouly took like 6 hours to get a drive replacement......

I'm dissapointed, new server I wanted to order with TP is no longer available, it had 2 x 3.2GHz Xeon

Have you looked at what they have on their total control servers side?

They have a dual woodcrest there that would beat out the dual xeon 3.2 for $369.

Have you checked out the Total Control servers they have? There is a dual woodcrest there that smokes a dual 3.2 xeon.

I need 2 x 15K SCSI drives, Seems that their price (TP servers) grow and grow these days