Heavy MySQL server recommandations

Hello,

We have a heavy MySQL usage for a client with 100+ active tables, about 5GB of data, an average of 100-150 qps as presented by mytop. MySQL is running on a dedicated server (Dual XEON, 2 SCSI HD, 2 GB RAM).
    Here is my.cnf:

# The MySQL server
    [mysqld]
    old-passwords
    port = 3306
    socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    skip-locking
    key_buffer = 768M
    max_connections = 2500
    max_connect_errors = 200
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    table_cache = 512
    sort_buffer_size = 16M
    read_buffer_size = 8M
    myisam_sort_buffer_size = 384M
    thread_cache = 16
    query_cache_limit = 2M
    query_cache_size = 256M
    query-cache-type = 1
    ft_min_word_len = 2
    tmp_table_size = 512M
    # Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
    thread_concurrency = 4
    thread_stack = 126976

And here is mytop:

Queries: 656.8k qps: 108 Slow: 90.0 Se/In/Up/De(%): 77/01/01/00
    qps now: 173 Slow qps: 0.0 Threads: 15 ( 2/ 8) 77/01/00/00
    Cache Hits: 303.9k Hits/s: 50.2 Hits now: 76.8 Ratio: 60.1% Ratio now: 57.5%
    Key Efficiency: 99.9% Bps in/out: 16.9k/586.8k Now in/out: 27.4k/655.8k

The server is fast most of the time but there are times when one slow query causes many fast queries to wait and this slow down things. I assume the slow query is consuming a lot of resources and this is why the other non slow queries wait.

The 1st question is: where and what can we optimize if we do not change servers? I mean software and hardware optimization? If we add another 2 GB RAM, would that help? If yes, how should we change my.cnf?

The 2nd one is if we need to setup a load balanced MySQL server (http://www.howtoforge.com/loadbalanc...cluster_debian) or should we wait with this? If yes, what new servers should we order? What is more important? Fast CPU? Fast HD? A lot of memory?

As it is stated in the above article, we would need at least 4 servers instead the 1 Dual XEON we have now. What would be the best servers for this scenario if money is an issue? At what DC? Your recommandations are highly welcome.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

Whoa, those numbers are backward!

max_connections = 2500
    table_cache = 512

These are out-of-whack. table_cache should be max_connections * the maximum number of table joins expected. This is because for each join, the server needs to open another table. You could use the "average" number of joins if your system won't let you open 5000 file descriptors (plus another 2500 for the socket file descriptors) but if this is a modern Linux system, 5000 should be OK and the "average" would be very hard to calculate. Currently you are restricting your server to 512 connections because any connections over 512 would not be able to open a table. This is in the MySQL manual. I would post a link but I am a new, restricted user.

Also, if you don't use any InnoDB tables and you don't plan to, you can use the skip-innodb option to eliminate ~100 MB of memory use (and maybe apply it elsewhere).

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.
    >> Business Blog

Some complicate queries use 4-5 tables. What would be the best settings for max_connections and table_cache?
    >> Business Blog

If your queries per second = 150, then

max_connections = 150 * average query time
    table_cache = max_connections * 5

Average query time is probably something like 4 seconds. 4 seconds * 150 queries per second = 600 max_connections. 600 connections * 5 tables = 3000 table_cache.

Really, this is all in the online, free manual.

Also, if your average queries per second = 150, then your thread_cache setting of 16 is much too low. You should run "mysqladmin extended -r -i60" each day and, if the Threads_created value is >1, increase your thread_cache setting. I'd set it to at least 40 to start with because you need a new thread for each connection. Your queries per second = 150. Most web apps make less than 9 queries per connection (150 / 16 = 9.37) so, unless you know that each connection to the server uses 9 or more queries, then thread_cache is definitely to low.

It looks like your suggestions helped a lot.
    Before: 90 slow queries from 656K queries
    After: 173 slow queries from 10.6M queries

Thanks again.
    >> Business Blog

Of course.

Now examine the columns used in each ORDER BY, GROUP BY, and WHERE clause in those slow queries and make sure they are indexed. That should eliminate most of the slow queries.

They are... They were indexed from the beginning. If you check the mytop from the first post, you can see: Key Efficiency: 99.9%.
    But thanks anyway for your suggestion.
    >> Business Blog

I see that mytop output now (I skipped right down to post when I saw the max_connection/table_cache problem). It looks like you could stand to cut the sort_buffer from 16M to 8M. If you need to buffer 16M worth of data to sort, your query will be slow no matter how much memory you throw at it. Then add the recovered memory to your query cache (from 256M to maybe 384M).