Company formation et all

Hi All,

I have found myself in a situation that is both good and bad depending on how much of a positive chap (et) you are, being of a possitive nature, i am going for the former

I used to run a uk LTD company with a long standing friend, anyway, he got devorced and somewhat went of the rails resulting in the easiest thing to do to preserve the business being disolving the company and give him his share.

It is now temporarily runing as a sole trader with me assuming i would just reform, as i have the right to the name etc.

It raises an interesting question though. Should i just form another company, or, as this is an international business, look to form somewhere else (country) that may be more tax advantagous?

I thought i would ask, as you lot know your stuff, and somebody else here may be in a similar position, or been in the past.

My real questions mainly revolve around:
    • How to charge customers tax?
    • what my tax position is as a uk resident?
    • Would (who) would i have to charge VAT to?

Any thoughts, opinions, and the like gratefully appriciated

You probably should see a qualified accountant they will be able to answer all your questions. If you choose a local and independant one they will not be too expensive.
    Last edited by doc_flabby; 11-06-2006 at 05:58 AM.

i have an accountant but i suspect his knowledge is somewhat limited as all he ever says is to form a ltd!

How to charge customers tax?
    It all depends on the country your users are from

what my tax position is as a uk resident?
    As a sole trader you have to pay income tax. As a limited company / public company you have to pay Corporation tax (higher than income tax)

Would (who) would i have to charge VAT to?
    Same as one, and by the way, your accountant is correct. Limited companies provide a much safer route in terms of liability and investment, even though it costs a bit more than being a sole trader.
    Sean

are there any advantages in forming overseas?

Suppose it would all depend on the taxes you have to pay, but I doubt you could be a sole trader in the US unless you lived there.

You'd really have to check that one.
    Sean

what relavence does a web host (with a dodgy geotrust site seal) have to any of the above issues?

the above was from when somebody was spaming this thread incase it make s no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik
    Suppose it would all depend on the taxes you have to pay, but I doubt you could be a sole trader in the US unless you lived there.

You'd really have to check that one.
    You can apparantly, in Delaware no less

Need to find myself a clever accountant i think. Now, out with the yellow pages..