Why not upgrade?

I'm meeting with our company's security manager tomorrow about our web server. They are running Apache 1.3 with PHP 4.1 and MySQL 3.23. I would like to upgrade our server to PHP 4.4 for functionality reasons and they contend that Red Hat only supports 4.1 and 4.4 might break some legacy php scripts. Does he have a good argument? I don't recall a lot of apps breaking from 4.x upgrades, but I haven't been focused on PHP for the last 8 years either. I have never been a full-fledged system admin either, so I don't exactly understand why you wouldn't upgrade as soon as possible.
    Last edited by subnet_rx; 11-07-2006 at 11:24 PM.

4.4 upgrade should go fine, but it depends on what your running.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Yes, he is correct, for the most part. Since PHP 4.2, register globals were disabled by default, superglobals are not registered as globals, and from php 4.3 to 4.4, binary extension modules became incompatible. Pretty much upgrading from anything before 4.4 is not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeprism
    Yes, he is correct, for the most part. Since PHP 4.2, register globals were disabled by default, superglobals are not registered as globals, and from php 4.3 to 4.4, binary extension modules became incompatible. Pretty much upgrading from anything before 4.4 is not recommended.
    So, I have them turn register globals back on, and with the binary extension modules, I can't even see what that would affect. I'll need to make sure what exactly is running, but I'm pretty sure that the server doesn't use binary extension modules.

You should not have any problem.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance