Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheapest eCommerce Solution

My question could be wrong.

Please recommend cheaptest ecommerce solution for selling retail products having:

a) Shopping Cart
    b) Provision at back-end to load [multiple] pictures, rates, and product details etc. Some type of forms.
    c) Once order is placed - sending details to fullfilment, like Invoice with order, label, return lable. It should be nice printable (then just web form printed).
    d) Payment Mechanism (I guess Paypal should serve the purpose).
    e) Chat support mechanism.
    f) Email support mechanism. Handling support and updating Support system. When email to support is sent - a return email to go with Ticket number.
    g) Account feature, Order history.
    h) Create Categories [of products] on brand, rate, top selling, type, material including cross-referencing.
    g) SSL
    h) Shipping cost/tracking integration

Solution could be one time cost, or per month, or hosted model or template. Preference to php, mysql based where I have control to add more functionalities in future (bot not to get locked-in with the solution provider).

Thanks in advance.

You might want to look at www.x-cart.com for the base shopping cart - there are numerous addons available that integrate chat and support tickets.

Hello,

I would like to recommend osCommerce, really easy to manage and customize.

As for me I recommend ZenCart, the same futures as osCommerce but more secure.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

He was asking about the total cost for a complete solutions - not just the shopping cart (I use OSCommerce too, awesome product).

I also was interested in this - processing fees (payment gateway fees, merchant fees, etc) to combine what I have with what's out there. Yahoo stores, various paypal solutions, and I know there are a number of paypal-type solutions. I'm paying a total of 2.8% per transaction using payquake with OSCommerce, and with ticket items as high as $2000 each that gets to be a pretty hefty sum per transaction.

Seems wrong that I have to bust my hiney to make the same amount someone else makes by merely passing money around from one place to another to get to me. There's got to be a better way right?

-Dave

oscommerce, zencart and cre-loaded can all easily do what you want with some mods added.
    Offering cost effective Open Source Software modification and customization aswell as Webshop template designs and modifications

All of the above mentioned shopping cart options are solid choices. One note that I would add is that sometimes it may be more important from a sales & marketing angle to make sure your cart has a needed feature that might help drive in sales vs. simply getting the least expensive option.

On the "payment mechanism" side of things - I would suggest talking to various merchant processors. You can definitely get a rate MUCH better than 2.80% AND lower than PayPal's pricing with your own merchant account.

However, it is important to keep in mind that for a credit card sale you are never going to do much better than roughly a ~2.xx% rate because the Visa/MC Interchange cost for e-commerce transaction is also going to require the processor to charge enough to make a profit, even if it is a small one.

In addition, there are now a number of merchant processors who will bundle in a free payment gateway along with the merchant account. This way - you don't have to incur the typical gateway costs that are usually charged such as a $10-20 monthly gateway fee and per transaction fees on top of that.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

oscommerce for just payment processing. Or instabill.com if you want a merchant account along with payment processing solution.

I know Yahoo has an okay e-commerce solution that has everything you need all in one package. For ease of use an all-in-one type of deal is hard to beat. But you can get cheaper if you do some research and are willing to put in some time learning about the different carts and hosting options available to you.

Let us know who you decide to use.

Dave

I use ProStores. It works well and it integrates with eBay if you need to. Prostores charges 0.5% off the sales price. However, you can find resellers who do not charge any transaction fees, just $30 - $60 per month, including hosting and support.

Check out my site below, if you like.

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 08-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.

I like osCommerce, but I seem to be having some problems with it lately. It keeps giving me 'permission errors' when all my permissions are set correctly.

ZenCart in my opinion is pretty basic. I would recommend osC over ZenCart.

If your looking to pay, x-cart isn't bad.

12. Package Deal

Hosting: ixwebhosting.com, Shopping cart > Web Assist eCart: webassist.com These coupled together would be relatively cheap and feature rich. The hosting solution at 6.95 a month would offer 500gb storage, 3.5 TB of bandwidth per month, $125.00 in marketing credit towards google adwords, msn, and yahoo. phpmyadmin built in. As well as several complementary scripts including form mail and chat (linux plans only) free shared ssl as well as support for eCommerce. Includes ftp accounts and various other features. While eCart is approx. $299.00 ($149.00 on sale) one time fee with lifetime upgrades. and is fully customizable. Couple that with say Linkpoint API and a merchant account you have a stable fully functioning eCommerce site.

How about 2CO?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
    How about 2CO?
    Paypal is a better choice, imo.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

There are major issues with OsCommerce / Zencart namely they need a major overhaul to really compete in the new web era! The major issue is their checkout, it really is awful and nobody, even the contributors seem to be able to make a decent version. Seven clicks to checkout even before paying just doesn't cut it in 2007!

Customers need more now and you as a store owner need more options. I don't think this solution fits most eCommerce entrepreneurs.

Also not updated enough and some modules will have you wondering why you installed them especially when the author messed up one part of the code leaving you with a useless module wasting your time and effort.

Your main issue here is be careful as it's Free and this means hardly updated and supported. The community is fairly good and will give your answers. But really… if you're going to be very serious about your new venture look around at paid options too as you will have more flexibility for the future and not be stuck with headaches.

It will be a major learning curve for you unless you use a freelance programmer or you're one yourself, which would be great!

I still don't think I have come across an all round off-the-shelf eCommerce solution that ticks the boxes you'll need to compete against some of the great stores already out there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by adie; 08-27-2007 at 04:12 PM.

In case of cheap solution, osCommerce would probably suite your needs best. It's not bad at all - yet less expensive than others.

The original intent of the thread is not about shopping carts, but total commerce solutions. Personally I have used Payquake pro for the last 4 years. I just changed yesterday to have my bank (PNC) take over from payquake as they offered better rates. However banks normally won't give such good rates to newbies. If you have an existing webstore that does decent volume print off the above link and take it to your bank to see if they will beat it. Often they can, and then it's very convenient because the funds transfer same day instead of 3 days after the purchase.

There's got to be a table out there that compares e-commerce solutions.

Okay, I found it, but this forum won't let me post an URL unless I already have 5 posts. I know that's to prevent spam, but as a forum administrator myself i think it's a pretty lame solution. Anyway, ignore the next couple posts.

Here it is ... post number 5 for me. Next one will have the URL. I have to wait 90 seconds between each post too. Another aggravating measure.

If you want a comparison of the main e-commerce solutions out there I strongly suggest the following link:

http://www.recommendedwebtools.com/i...nt-comparison/

It shows various scenarios on how each kind of e-commerce setup would cost depending on volume can average ticket price. It also talks about real merchant accounts vs. non-merchant accounts. There is a big difference. Merchant accounts aren't any more difficult - that's what I use, along with OSC as my shopping cart.

I will say that any shopping cart that charges you a monthly fee is a ripoff (unless they are also providing you with the website). I did Miva, and I can't believe people pay for it. Love OSC so much more.

What about credit card payment processors? I see that Costco is offering this service (as well as countless other services like travel booking and mortgages!!)

Or do people just stick with Paypal and forego the credit card processing?

If you are willing to use PayPal Pro (and pay for it) I believe you can process credit cards as well. A lot of us who take PayPal use a merchant account/card processor separate from PayPal due to the lower fees.

Quote Originally Posted by dono0034 View Post
    What about credit card payment processors? I see that Costco is offering this service (as well as countless other services like travel booking and mortgages!!)

Or do people just stick with Paypal and forego the credit card processing?

There is a way to open U.S. Bank and U.S. merchant account for non-US person within 1-2 weeks. Personal Banking in the United States for Non Residents is no longer an option, with the possible exception of flying here and meeting with an "understanding" Banker. Corporate Banking is just as difficult, unless you turn to professionals.

The Bank account opening is guaranteed! The accounts come together with online banking and VISA cards (optional). Ideal for Non US persons who operate internet businesses or want to expand into the United States. The account is easy to use with services like PayPalŠ and 2checkoutŠ.
    Fast and easy!

For more information, visit our web site: Corp24h.com
    Call us anytime: +1-302-230-6506

Instabill is a SCAM and WILL RIP you OFF

It was suggested that Instabill is a complete solotion. The only complete solution they have is to RIP you off for your money.

Check the Search Engines - key in Jason Fields - Instabill - ECS WORLD - ScanOrder and you will see many examples of the merchants that they have RIPPED OFF...

Instabill is a front for ECS World - - If you want no responses - and never see your money then use them.

As soon as they need money - they close your account for a BS reason and then steal the proceeds - provide you with a payment settlement that is two years down the road.

You have no choice as they then will not answer your emails - and then when the payment arrives they have NEVER HEARD of you.

At that point unless they owe you HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars you just give up.

That is what INSTABILL PREYS ON -

JASON FIELDS (not his real name) ECS World ( a virtual office) Instabill (a front) is a rip off company and sooner or later they will rip you off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast